Novak Kinetic

Old 12-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you guys are having trouble loading software or changes to your speedo try this. Take a old on-off switch and the spare red-white-black wire that comes with the speedo. (the long or short one that you are not using in your vehicle) cut the red wire and splice the on-off switch to the red wires. I keep this attached to the cable coming out of the computer and just remove the small 3 wire plug off of the speedo and plug my computer into the speedo. Saves from taking the plug in and out of the receiver all of the time.
Turn the novalink program on your computer after it loads and the screen loads then turn the on-off switch to the ON posistion that you made and the speedo and computer will reconize each other much easier. Ever since I did this it is much easier to load programs or make changes.

Hope this helps and I explained it well for everyone.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by windix606060
If you guys are having trouble loading software or changes to your speedo try this. Take a old on-off switch and the spare red-white-black wire that comes with the speedo. (the long or short one that you are not using in your vehicle) cut the red wire and splice the on-off switch to the red wires. I keep this attached to the cable coming out of the computer and just remove the small 3 wire plug off of the speedo and plug my computer into the speedo. Saves from taking the plug in and out of the receiver all of the time.
Turn the novalink program on your computer after it loads and the screen loads then turn the on-off switch to the ON posistion that you made and the speedo and computer will reconize each other much easier. Ever since I did this it is much easier to load programs or make changes.

Hope this helps and I explained it well for everyone.
Absolutely, I do the same thing with mine. Really didn't think of mentioning that, glad you did. It makes it 10X easier to do the programming. Thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi Guys,

Hows Kinetic S2 V1.4 software developing? When will it be ready for release? Features sound great, really looking forward to installing it.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Yeah - how soon for the 2S update/release?

I am defiantly looking forward to loading it up
Old 12-10-2010, 02:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Is it possible to Register to Novak website, so we'll get an email as soon as the update is available?
I'm tired checking (since august !)
Old 12-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Duo 3

Hey guys anyone test the duo 3 17.5 with the kinetic? Anyone have good novalink settings ?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Company Representative

Default Preventing NovaLink™/ESC Memory Data Corruption

NovaLink USB Device to ESC Harness Update:

The NovaLink™ Programming Interface’s USB device uses the ESC’s RX wire to perform updates and adjustments on the speed control. Novak has discovered an anomaly on the USB driver for the NovaLink with some computer operating systems, leading to corruption of the firmware on the speed controller brain board. The following information will help you in preventing these data communication errors by using a programming harness.

Building Your Own Programming Harness

Items you will need:

1 ESC/RX Harness.

1 Simple On/Off Switch.

Small Shrink Tubing

Take the ESC/RX Harness and cut the red wire roughly in the middle. Strip a small section of each cut end, and install the Simple On/Off Switch. Use the shrink tubing to prevent the connections from being touched during operation.

Updated Operational Information

When using the NovaLink™ to adjust your ESC’s profile, start with the switch in the OFF position. Start your NovaLink™. First connect your USB device, and then connect to the ESC. To allow the speed control to connect to the NovaLink™ software, simply turn the switch to the ON position. Make your desired adjustments, upload the profile, and then click on the disconnect button at the top of the screen. Lastly, turn OFF the harness switch.

While using the NovaLink, the ESC fan should be disconnected, and there should never be a battery pack connected to the speed control during these steps.

Updated Firmware Installation Information

Update your NovaLink Files with the following steps: Open the NovaLink Software. Connect your NovaLink™ USB device; the switch harness should be in the OFF position. Click on the “Launch Firmware Updater” icon at the top of the screen.

The counter will run to “999”, and then say, “Connect Your Speed Controller.” Then turn the switch harness to the ON position. The updater will start immediately and begin updating. This process should take a few minutes and will notify you when it is complete.

If you need assistance with your harness, please contact our Customer Service department by [email protected] or calling (949) 833-8873.

We will include a photo of the harness with the web update.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Novak should make these available with the Nova Link. I was able to get the software to work most of the time without the switch but I made one anyway and to me it was a lot better than plugging in and unplugging the unit when updating and programming.

Last edited by ThrottleKing; 12-15-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by macdude
How much is a brain board for the 2S version? I think I fried mine. Another victim of battery while updating. Although everything appears to work except the brakes. Even after resetting doing the one touch set up they are very weak. The only thing I haven't tried is reloading the 1.3 firmware to the device.
Did you ever get the brakes to work? If so what was the fix?
Old 12-14-2010, 04:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Did you ever get the brakes to work? If so what was the fix?
No I never did get them working like they did when I first got the thing. Not sure why either as everything else seems to work. I have been doing only spec stock racing lately so I haven't really been playing with the thing that much. Right now I have another controller I am testing. Its made by ORCA.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 5tylez
Hey guys anyone test the duo 3 17.5 with the kinetic? Anyone have good novalink settings ?
Need some more info, boosted or non, tc or 1/12th or ?, size of track, carpet or asphalt, just some basic info.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default no lights

i got my brand new kinetic 2s and new novalink...on 1.1 when i installed it and connected it it was working great...then upgrade it to 1.3 ...opened the software then plug esc ...at first it was initializing with esc lights on and then it turned off!!! the usb has lights but not the esc...what to do? usb is working fine...i haven't even put the motor wires...just updating it to the latest software before installation...need advise...thanks

Originally Posted by Turbonium
working with my netbook, i uninstalled the 1.3 i was using, and tried a new download off the site. when that didnt work, i went back to the desktop and tried the 1.1 disc i have. nothing will light the lights on the speedo, tho.

i think i have a buddy local with a link, ill see if i can borrow his to tell if its a hardware or software issue. thanks for the ideas, tho.
Originally Posted by pmes
I've become the NovaLink guy at my local track, one guy's ESC wouldn't light up and just before sealing the box to send it back to Novak I tried it three more times. On the third plugin it worked! I must have pluged/unpluged the thing at least 50 times total. Now it works every time.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvalistic
i got my brand new kinetic 2s and new novalink...on 1.1 when i installed it and connected it it was working great...then upgrade it to 1.3 ...opened the software then plug esc ...at first it was initializing with esc lights on and then it turned off!!! the usb has lights but not the esc...what to do? usb is working fine...i haven't even put the motor wires...just updating it to the latest software before installation...need advise...thanks
You have to follow the directions to update the firmware on the Kinetic to 1.3
Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
You have to follow the directions to update the firmware on the Kinetic to 1.3
thanks...i need more than that sir...can anybody direct me into resetting this esc or flashing it...next step is sending it to novak...thanks
Old 12-17-2010, 06:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvalistic
thanks...i need more than that sir...can anybody direct me into resetting this esc or flashing it...next step is sending it to novak...thanks
Check out post #1207.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.