Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Can someone please post a setup or give me suggestions for LRP X12 10.5R to a 8min race?
Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 02:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
We will be sending you a new Kinetic brain board today.
Thanks, great service.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm still waiting for my gear to arrive back from the Euros, but that is another story.

Over the week-end I was able to see the Novalink in action trackside. We were able to update a Kinetic to V1.3 and add in a custom profile with out any hassle.

One thing we did notice was after upload the custom profile to the Kinetic we were unable to change the profile using the set-up button on the Kinetic. Is this correct. I assumed that you could have the 'stock' profile as per the setup button and the custom Novalink profile saved in the Kinetic and then switch between the two.
(#17 THROTTLE PROFILE SELECTION (1 of 2) ALL LEDs)

But impressed with the first use of the Novaklink.

MiCk B. :-)
Old 09-14-2010, 05:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Are you planning on a Kinetic 1s/Ballistic 13.5 combo package?
Old 09-14-2010, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Hey Charlie trying to send you a PM... if you can give us a call at the track
360-263-0262.....

TZR
Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[QUOTE=escman;7936720]
Originally Posted by macdude
The biggest complaint I have is that it does not tell you if there is another version of the firmware, or novalink software from in the program. Also updating should not require me to manually uninstall the .....

Thanks for you input, we are working on getting the installation process to be a little less painful.
We spent all our effort on the esc firmware and the Nova Link, the installation process was given a low priority so we could finish the project. Improvements that you ask for are in the pipeline, please give us some time to get them done.
Adnan
I kind of assumed this was the issue. Thanks for your response. Otherwise the program is probably the easiest to set all the parameters. 100% better than the Tekin HW software.

I would like to know why adjusting the throttle curve will cause a high speed surge when running under no load. Seem like it got better with v1.3 but still seems rough about 80% throttle. Doesn't really seem to matter what curve I pick, but the whole car jumps when revving it on the stand. When I go back to linear throttle then there is no surge.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Mad- I'm not good for calls, Email!

Email [email protected] request to forward to me and I'll get it a few hours later.

Jontang- Start with the RPM defaults from the Drop Down as a loose starting point. Just select 10.5 with your battery and voila, it gives you a rough starting point. They usually get you in the ball park. For the most part, with a new setup, I go mild on the RPM points, a good 8-10K spread. I usually start with pretty low timing and work my way up.

The rest of the settings for the profile side of it are very very much driver dependant, so start with the default, then adjust what you need.

What are you running for 8 minutes? 1S 12th scale?

Last edited by Charlie; 09-15-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Kinetic 1s in 12R5.1

can't wait to run it.
Attached Thumbnails Novak Kinetic-003.jpg  
Old 09-16-2010, 03:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Suggestion for Novak Kinetic V1.3: I have been doing some testing using the Current Limit feature for wheel spin.

1= max current = high chance of wheel spin
10 = Limited current = low chance of wheel spin

Thats the idea any way... upon testing, I found the setting works well, but you loose the top end speed as well. Test Rig: 17.5T motor with timing at 55 deg.

Can I suggest limiting this setting to the initial launch only? so the current is limited for the initial 10,000 RPM then release it back to max current...

Great speedy... Well Done Novak!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by escman

On your second request we maybe able to add a different way of timing setup option.
Perhaps one can fill out a table with 6-8 RPM points and the required applied timing at those points. This method is highly prone to mistakes by the operator.
I have to look at this in more detail.
Adnan
That would be a great option. I know it has a big opertunity for misuse or mistakes, but for oval racing it could be huge as we only run in a set window of rpm's. Would like to have full control of the timing within that window. Could also be better than boost as you could add a bit more timing at super high rpm (end of the straight) for that extra boost. Also could run lower timing at low rpm for good launch and then add more timing once the car is rolling.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is the software working with windows7?
Old 09-16-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Rookie

After reading your problems, I disconnected the fan and used a short USB cable to perform the update.
Successfully updated my Kinetic 2S to v1.3

I am surprised by the requirement to plug the Kinetic AFTER launching the GUI - or AFTER selecting the firmware button, when prompted. Can it be changed, so you plug everything and the GUI connects/detects automatically the ESC ? This could avoid multiple physical plug/unplug.

I am wondering about the Reset button: it resets my kinetic 2S with a Voltage cutoff = 3.0V, this makes no sense. it should be either OFF/4.8/6.3 as described in the user's manual recommended values (6.3 preferred of course).

Also, when connecting the ESC it reads out the settings automatically - but afterwards there us no way to force re-read of the ESC, you can only do update. The problem is that when you do modifications of the settings , you cannot go back the the ESC internal settings - or you need to disconnect and re-connect, only way to force a Read.
=> is it possible to add a "Read ESC" next to the "Update" button ?

Finally, is there a way to save the temperature graph , for future reference ? Right now I can only take screenshots, an excel output would be nice.
Many thanks to Novak team !

PS: what means the date and time next to "connected" ?

Last edited by nicov; 09-16-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JBM Racing
Suggestion for Novak Kinetic V1.3: I have been doing some testing using the Current Limit feature for wheel spin.

1= max current = high chance of wheel spin
10 = Limited current = low chance of wheel spin

Thats the idea any way... upon testing, I found the setting works well, but you loose the top end speed as well. Test Rig: 17.5T motor with timing at 55 deg.

Can I suggest limiting this setting to the initial launch only? so the current is limited for the initial 10,000 RPM then release it back to max current...

Great speedy... Well Done Novak!
Thanks JMB Racing
This would require an update to the firmware of Kinetic.
I like to idea, let me look at the code and see what will will take to implement this function in the next update of the esc.
Adnan
Old 09-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by slotracer577
That would be a great option. I know it has a big opertunity for misuse or mistakes, but for oval racing it could be huge as we only run in a set window of rpm's. Would like to have full control of the timing within that window. Could also be better than boost as you could add a bit more timing at super high rpm (end of the straight) for that extra boost. Also could run lower timing at low rpm for good launch and then add more timing once the car is rolling.
slotracer577
We are looking at implementing this in our next update, I am thinking of a table setup that you have to fill out completely before the program will let you proceed.
We have to built in some smarts so the you can not enter data out of end point range or sequence.
I will keep up updated.
Adnan
Old 09-16-2010, 06:48 AM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=macdude;7943767]
Originally Posted by escman

I kind of assumed this was the issue. Thanks for your response. Otherwise the program is probably the easiest to set all the parameters. 100% better than the Tekin HW software.

I would like to know why adjusting the throttle curve will cause a high speed surge when running under no load. Seem like it got better with v1.3 but still seems rough about 80% throttle. Doesn't really seem to matter what curve I pick, but the whole car jumps when revving it on the stand. When I go back to linear throttle then there is no surge.
macdude

Also I would like make a point about our software.
The following parameters:
Minimum Brake
Drag Brake
Minimum Dive
Dead Band

Have a dual mode entry, one can select from the given index or enter a value that is 0.1 increment, I believe this is unique to Novak and its is very difficult to implement. We spent a lot of time to get this function to work properly and integrate into the esc firmware.
Its fairly easy to implement simple up or down buttons, but to add the ability to enter a floating point number is quite involved.
I hope you racer are using that function, over the years I been asked many times for that ability select Dead band or Minimum drive value in 1/10 increment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.