Novak Kinetic

Old 03-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Benzio
Hello,

Received my 10.5t Ballistic/Kinetic combo this week and finally got to installing tonight. I have a notebook so the CD was useless. Downloaded the 1.4 software from Novak successfully. However when i connect my ESC via the cable it says that the boost/turbo ect errors and when i go on advanced and try to turn the turbo on i can't because it's all grey'd out. Any ideas whats wrong?

All help appreciated!

Ben
you just need to set you timing level and set points. if you need help with a starting point just post what car and track size
Old 03-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hello,

Received my 10.5t Ballistic/Kinetic combo this week and finally got to installing tonight. I have a notebook so the CD was useless. Downloaded the 1.4 software from Novak successfully. However when i connect my ESC via the cable it says that the boost/turbo ect errors and when i go on advanced and try to turn the turbo on i can't because it's all grey'd out. Any ideas whats wrong?

All help appreciated!

Ben
You have to a minimum of 20 degrees of timing level entered before you can turn boost on.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hello,

All help appreciated!

Ben
until you enter a timing value, the boost button doesn't work.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by macdude
The RPM out of range warning I get it everytime I installed a new brain board or was switching from the built in profile to the "nova link" managed profile. It doesn't seem to do anything.
Since you are running in the zero timing class just curious what you are running your drive frequency and FDR at.
I have found that for my driving style I much prefer to be in the 4.5 to 5 FDR range. I know it sounds weird, but my lap times always come down when I get in this range. I also like to run the drive frequency maxed out.
same settings and FDR

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
FYI, that's usually related to a security issue, its set to high and blocking something.
thanks, I'll see if i can turn something down. maybe turn off norton while doing the novalink.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hello,

All help appreciated!

Ben
Did you have to update the firmware on the esc? If so you need to get a hold of novak asap to get a new brain board.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the help! However, i've put boost on and left it at 100ms for it to kick in. Holding the car in my hand and reving it about the motor is getting quite hot and after a while it seems as though the power just cuts.. Your able to steer but the lights on the ESC go and you have to switch it off and back on to carry on. Is this happening because of the temperature of the motor? But at the same point why is the motor getting hot when i'm only holding the car in my hand?? Should i reduce the default timing on the motor from 30 down to 15 with having the timing level at 20degrees?

Thanks
Ben
Old 03-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the help! However, i've put boost on and left it at 100ms for it to kick in. Holding the car in my hand and reving it about the motor is getting quite hot and after a while it seems as though the power just cuts.. Your able to steer but the lights on the ESC go and you have to switch it off and back on to carry on. Is this happening because of the temperature of the motor? But at the same point why is the motor getting hot when i'm only holding the car in my hand?? Should i reduce the default timing on the motor from 30 down to 15 with having the timing level at 20degrees?

Thanks
Ben
Boost gives your motor 60* of timing all at once. After the delay. How long are you free revving the car? What gears? The more info the better.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default question

My esc keeps having drag brake value..even when i put to 0....Using 1.42 for the first time...
Cant read the end value of rpm as the "RPM" letters are over it?
Have updated the esc...
Timming wont activate..trying to put in 20deg...keeps going back to zero???
The esc has been used no problems..before the 1.42 update..Am I doing someting wrong?
Mike

Start rpm 4500
end rpm 9000....17.5 2s...Are these values wrong?
Old 03-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by macdude
Boost gives your motor 60* of timing all at once. After the delay. How long are you free revving the car? What gears? The more info the better.
I was free revving it for a short period of time.. Revving then full for boost then release. Currently 84/33 But i'll be changing soon as i'm changing my centre and diff pulleys (I drift a Tamiya VDF). I've changed the RPM for a 10.5 2s set-up also.. Should i of left it standard?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mikecatts
My esc keeps having drag brake value..even when i put to 0....Using 1.42 for the first time...
Have updated the esc...
The esc has been used no problems..before the 1.42 update..Am I doing someting wrong?
Mike

Start rpm 4500
On the first page, at the bottom click the separate brake value tab. Enter drag brake you want and hit enter on keyboard.

On the advanced page on the left open the window and select 17.5 2s. It will enter.a default value in the rpm boxes. You can change these but hit enter on the keyboard after doing so. After that the timing box should work. Hope that helps
Old 03-19-2011, 03:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikecatts
Have updated the esc...
Mike

Start rpm 4500
I have played with Four of them that do this but after repeatedly redoing the install and hitting enter on everything after I made a selection I have only gotten two of them to work correctly. Its like they wont just use advance timing feature but the boost will work. On the track the car would be a dog out of the hole and then the boost delay would time out and then full timing. I know what you mean as I have seen this problem too. Unfortunately the two of them I can't seem to get to work with just timing advance and boost off are not mine and I only get to work with these on race days for the guys I have talked into getting them because I had good racing results with mine. I have noticed on mine though that the temps on the novalink do not reflect the actual temps I get from my temp guns. I have have used the low res and the regular versions and both have done this with me but I just keep uninstalling and reinstalling the software and re doing the esc until it takes some times it takes up to 6 times to get it right. I have a checklist that I go by so i never forget a step. Just one of those weird things I guess. I have shut down my PC's firewall and I am the only user of my laptop so administrator user is me and I still have these issues. I don't really know what to say other than keep a log of what you are doing during the install and make sure you don't miss a step and try it over and over until it works.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThrottleKing
I have played with Four of them that do this but after repeatedly redoing the install and hitting enter on everything after I made a selection I have only gotten two of them to work correctly. Its like they wont just use advance timing feature but the boost will work. On the track the car would be a dog out of the hole and then the boost delay would time out and then full timing. I know what you mean as I have seen this problem too. Unfortunately the two of them I can't seem to get to work with just timing advance and boost off are not mine and I only get to work with these on race days for the guys I have talked into getting them because I had good racing results with mine. I have noticed on mine though that the temps on the novalink do not reflect the actual temps I get from my temp guns. I have have used the low res and the regular versions and both have done this with me but I just keep uninstalling and reinstalling the software and re doing the esc until it takes some times it takes up to 6 times to get it right. I have a checklist that I go by so i never forget a step. Just one of those weird things I guess. I have shut down my PC's firewall and I am the only user of my laptop so administrator user is me and I still have these issues. I don't really know what to say other than keep a log of what you are doing during the install and make sure you don't miss a step and try it over and over until it works.
Email charlie. It sounds like you might need a new brain board. I was having a similar issue with mine. The new brain board fixed everything for me. The other thing to try also would be to uninstall everything. Update to the latest version of the novalink from the website. Put the new 1.4.2 rdd file in the novalink folder and update the ESC firmware again. This may work too. But if not then I would just email charlie directly.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Charlie
Hi guys,

In case you didn't pick up an earlier post here's a mild reminder. If you have a "Pre" 1.4 ESC, please email me directly with your Address and current ESC serial Number. [email protected] Thanks.

Also, here's a little update for you 12th scale 13.5 drivers:

Baseline starting Power Profile Rolled out 57-61MM depending on track size.

RPM: 2000- 7500
Timing: 40'
Boost on @ 400ms

Drag brake to you liking
Minimum Drive 15% (Max)

Motor set to 15' static timing on the label. Adjust up or down for motor temps as testing dictates.
Sounds like there's a lot of people trying to run pre-1.4 kinetics. Don't do that! E-mail Charlie for a new brain board.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Default Drag brake

Originally Posted by skypilot
On the first page, at the bottom click the separate brake value tab. Enter drag brake you want and hit enter on keyboard.

On the advanced page on the left open the window and select 17.5 2s. It will enter.a default value in the rpm boxes. You can change these but hit enter on the keyboard after doing so. After that the timing box should work. Hope that helps
Tried what you suggested..Still keeps going to the same value as minumin brake???? With independant drag brake on or off...Wanting to get "0" drage...only exepts a numbered value..
Have got timing and boost now...
One thing thats frustrating is I cant read the value of "max timing RPM" as the "letters cover the numbers???? anyone else had this problem?
I think ill go back to 1.3..that works...
I am computer savey....so nothing from that end..
Thanks all
Mike
Old 03-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Default 17.5 duo2 settings

Hi again..any start settings for a duo 2 17.5..large flowing outdoor track..T3
Thanks in advance

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.