Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Company Representative

Jeremiah----Charlie has not been available the last two days, but I forwarded your comments to Bob and Adnan.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThrottleKing
Novak Two, I need to send in both of my Kinetics as they have occured some type of malfuntion. I have emailed Charlie and gone over some of the issues but the main point is after installing the newest update is when all thiese issues started with the esc's. Both escs have melted the stators in two Ballistic motors each last night during the runs and every time they did the exact same thing and at the exact same point in the track rught after two 180's to the strait and then they would lock up and cook. I hadn't changed my esc setting on either of them since I ran the 1.3 update and they have worked perfectly until now. After the first two motors blew in each esc I changed the advance to a lower setting and kept the Ballistics timing at about 10*-5* and i never run the boost on, only dynamic timing. My end timing is about 50-55* and on the 1.3 software the temps for the esc's were about 80-90* and the motor would come off after an 8 min race about 130*-140*. Now after last night I temped them when they died and the esc was 140* and the motors were all about 200-220* after only half the run and that was with the 1.4.2 software. The novalink showed everthing to be working fine and I had the ability to use all the features and that led me to believe everthing was in working order but I always use at least two temp guns to make my measurements. All this happended using 2s version Kinetics running in my 1 cell 1/12 car with a 17.5 and my 1 cell WGT car using a 13.5. I talked to Brent on the phone today and hes said to send them in but nothing about the 4 stators I lost. One problem is that 1 Kenetic is 127 days old and the other is 117 days old according to when I purchased them from Tower. I doon't know if this matters but it took 6 days for the older one to get to me and only 3 for the newr one but I would imagine the purchase date is what counts. If you guys can get back to me I would really appreciate it as now I am out of Ballistics and my carpet season is over until I can get this issue fixed. One other not is that I tried new sensor cable on each motor after the meltdown so that question is checked off and I have went over all wiring and connection and all is good. I did notice after the 1.4.2 install I had great brakes up untill it blew where as before on the 1.3 software I had very weak brakes.

Jeremiah Ward
[email protected]
If you had 2 motors and 2 ESCs have issues my money is on you are not doing something right....
Old 02-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
If you had 2 motors and 2 ESCs have issues my money is on you are not doing something right....
While I generally agree with this statement. I have had a couple of ballistic motors go up on me. But it was with a different speed control. Each time it was a little different. The first one the rotor "flaked apart enough to damage the front bearing and seize the motor. Like I was coming down the back side of a jump and the truck just stopped and would not go. I actually thought that I had gotten a rock stuck in the hub carrier. Nope just a bad front bearing on the ballistic. The next time it failed was a couple raced later. Brand new rotor new front and rear bearings and this time the stator winding melted, and the front bearing went out again. Rotor was ok but the stator winding where melted to the plastic at the end of the yellow ring. Same setup as before and the motor had never gotten above 150F either time. This was running on a large outdoor track, end bell timing was at the N mark, gearing FDR for an SC10 was around 9.5 and the speed control was adding 35* of timing from 5500 to 24000 rpm. Truck was great until the motor failed.
I actually stopped running the ballistics outside because I don't think the bearings can handle the dirt. Not sure why as the SS motor I have has 3 seasons indoors and out with no problems. Put the SS back in and its a little slower than the ballistic, but it never stopped in the middle of a race on me.
Indoors the ballistic has been pretty good. Especially in the zero timing class in TC. I can get more rip out of it than any other motor I have tried so far. And it has not failed inside.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

i dont see anyone send picture of it here, so the problem may not true ?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Novalink Video

Hello guys do you have any video of Kinetic programming with Novalink ?

Old 02-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by irgo
i dont see anyone send picture of it here, so the problem may not true ?
speedpassion thread is calling you.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by flashrevolution
Hello guys do you have any video of Kinetic programming with Novalink ?

Charlie plans on making a video to add to our collection, focusing on "How to Program the Novak Kinetics".
Old 02-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Whenever I try to load a different set of settings for the "Timing Set Point" and the "Max. Timing RPM" the values always return to "4200" and "18002" respectively. I have tried entering my own values AND PRESSING ENTER and also tried to use the pre-selected values from the drop down menu in the "Timing RPM Defaults" section to no avail. I could search through all 106 pages of this thread (and I will when I have more time) but I figured I would get my situation out there and see if anyone else is having this occur.

Thank You,
Adam
Old 02-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by 04Xterra
Whenever I try to load a different set of settings for the "Timing Set Point" and the "Max. Timing RPM" the values always return to "4200" and "18002" respectively. I have tried entering my own values AND PRESSING ENTER and also tried to use the pre-selected values from the drop down menu in the "Timing RPM Defaults" section to no avail. I could search through all 106 pages of this thread (and I will when I have more time) but I figured I would get my situation out there and see if anyone else is having this occur.

Thank You,
Adam

Click the reset button at the top of the novalink window. After resetting then re enter all your settings. This should fix it. When you change the timing curve settings it locks in the rpm values.

Last edited by PFKAOG; 02-28-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Click the reset button at the top of the novalink window. After resetting then re enter all your settings. This should fix it. When you change the timing curve settings it locks in the rpm values.
I am giving this a try tonight. I haven't been able to update the rpm values in weeks.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macdude
I am giving this a try tonight. I haven't been able to update the rpm values in weeks.
It seems that you have to tweek the timing curve values to keep your RPM settings. This seems odd to me but it did work.

Thank you PFKAOG.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

well no luck. I guess I just need to send it in.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Suspended

well no luck. I guess I just need to send it in.
Try it again. After you reset by clicking the reset button, re do one touch setup with your transmitter and then re enter your settings manually. Do not load an existing profile.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Try it again. After you reset by clicking the reset button, re do one touch setup with your transmitter and then re enter your settings manually. Do not load an existing profile.
? The reset does not change the RPM values. So I guess I don't know what doing the one step setup would do. I will give it a try. But the problem I am having is getting the settings to the ESC. Not changing what the software says. It will change the values, but everytime I reconnect the old values are there. And yes I have sent them to the controller, I think it is probably the brain board. And although I already got a replacement, they seem really sensitive and easily damaged. I have several ESC's... ok I have every major ESC brand that you can update with a computer. Never have I had this much trouble with any of them. I appreciate the complexity of what Novak has done with the kinetic, but I feel that the brain board is flawed.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Suspended

? The reset does not change the RPM values. So I guess I don't know what doing the one step setup would do. I will give it a try. But the problem I am having is getting the settings to the ESC. Not changing what the software says. It will change the values, but everytime I reconnect the old values are there. And yes I have sent them to the controller, I think it is probably the brain board. And although I already got a replacement, they seem really sensitive and easily damaged. I have several ESC's... ok I have every major ESC brand that you can update with a computer. Never have I had this much trouble with any of them. I appreciate the complexity of what Novak has done with the kinetic, but I feel that the brain board is flawed.
This is the problem I had. The steps I posted is what fixed it for me after chasing the problem for a few hours. Re flashing the firmware never hurts either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.