Wiki Posts
Search

Why Ceramic diff balls???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 05:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Questions?? Why Ceramic diff balls???

what are the reasons to change your diff/thurst berring balls from the steel to the ceramics. probly the most obvious is smooth operation but is there realy a performance increase with the ceramics or dose it just save the hassle of having to clean and re grease everything as often as you might with the steel balls. Thinking of tyrying them if its worth it
Old 10-20-2009, 05:33 AM
Tech Champion

Simply put, they are harder wearing, so they will not flat spot as easily as steel versions
Old 10-20-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Addict

But is there a performance increase to using the ceramics for the price you can probly get 2-3 sets of the steel balls VS the ceramic
Old 10-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Longevity and heat dissipation. You will probably go through at least those 3 sets of steel in the same amount of time.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 108 (99%+)

Longevity...I've had the same set for over a year now where before I had to switch them out every 2 months or so.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

To answer your question, the heat dissipation would probably be your biggest performance gain.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jackster
To answer your question, the heat dissipation would probably be your biggest performance gain.

Actually it's not heat dissipation but heat buildup. Ceramic balls have lower friction coefficients therefore less friction, therefore less heat buildup. That plus higher hardness means longer life.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Why ceramic diff balls....

To sell more parts, spend more money, and to have something to bench race with. All other points are valid, but for the average guy, and even some pro's, the standard diff balls work just fine...
Old 10-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

It is true, they work fine, but it is not true that they are just a fashion item. They really work and if you are like me too lazy to fiddle around with diffs every day or every other race, they do offer a better alternative. Not only they need less maintenance, they also offer much better value for money.

This is indeed the first upgrade (and often the only) I make when buying a new car. The only other upgrade I like to do is sealing the diffs. If you've perfected your method and have sealed diffs with ceramics, you can go the entire racing season without pulling them apart.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by niznai
It is true, they work fine, but it is not true that they are just a fashion item. They really work and if you are like me too lazy to fiddle around with diffs every day or every other race, they do offer a better alternative. Not only they need less maintenance, they also offer much better value for money.

This is indeed the first upgrade (and often the only) I make when buying a new car. The only other upgrade I like to do is sealing the diffs. If you've perfected your method and have sealed diffs with ceramics, you can go the entire racing season without pulling them apart.
the financial investment is realy not that bad I believe $16 for both sets diff and thrust but I hear so many diffrent things about the ceramics being over rated and since I run VTA they don't take a beating like the faster classes would. now for the rest of the berrings I would like to step up to ceramic but the $89.99 price tag from Acer is a little out of reach. What is the next best thing to ceramics better then stock but with out the price tag???

Last edited by wiscnitro; 10-20-2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: should spell check first
Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Putting ceramic diff balls in my xray diff allowed me to run the diff looser without it slipping. Because they are so hard they will last along time too, which means they will wear the diff rings evenly, which makes them last alot longer too.

I am going to try a ceramic bearing kit in my xray to see if they last longer than the standard steel bearings.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
the financial investment is realy not that bad I believe $16 for both sets diff and thrust but I hear so many diffrent things about the ceramics being over rated and since I run VTA they don't take a beating like the faster classes would. now for the rest of the berrings I would like to step up to ceramic but the $89.99 price tag from Acer is a little out of reach. What is the next best thing to ceramics better then stock but with out the price tag???
Those ACER bearings are not great IMO. Definitely not the ceramics to get. I really like the APS bearings but there are several good makers.

another advantage to Ceramic diff balls is that they are lighter so in classes like 1/12th it can make a difference.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
Its' true, some car kits these days double their cost by the time you add ceramic bearings. But you don't need to buy the whole lot. Perhaps some of the critical would suffice. The other side of it is that some of the "normal" bearings are not capable to spin to high revs without high drag. Ceramics do easily 50k revs/min. Think motor bearings, centre pulleys, small belt tensioner bearings, that kind of thing.

Try Kanzen bearings in France, they are top notch and I think they are cheaper than most other options I see around.

On the same token, I have had so many el cheapo bearings seize in hub carriers it's not funny. It will just stuff up your race. If I was racing off road, I wouldn't go for ceramics, but on road it is worth considering.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

can anyone post links for great berring sites.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

ceramic bearing is lighter than steel ball thus making your car hv better acceleration and top speed....as for the ceramic ball diff, it's make your diff smoother and less maintenance...the diff will not overheat when u race.

www.abec35.com

try this site...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.