Old 02-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Default newbie

I've never owned a R/C other than when I was younger. Even then it was a Wal-Mart/Radio Shack car. Anyway I am looking to get a real R/C but can't decide if I want electric or nitro.

Heres the thing I don't want to have to constantly fix things on a nitro as more can go wrong. Is it common for stuff to break on nitros even if they ain't ran hard? Also on electric can you adjust to ESC to go faster and have less runtime(battery life) or set it to slower and have more runtime?

On electric. I see on the motors its either a 18t,22t,,ect. Is the higher the number the faster the motor or lower? And does it make the truck faster?

A web site on R/C info would be great if there is one that explains these things.

BTW hows the RC10t3? Looking for opinions.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Tech Regular

www.gettingstartedinrc.com That should help ya out.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:52 PM
Tech Initiate

well thats a start but is there anything that goes more into depth on the advantages/dis-advantages?

Also a site that explains each ESC and motors. Which one should go for?
Old 02-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo

Originally posted by SnipesXxX
well thats a start but is there anything that goes more into depth on the advantages/dis-advantages?

Also a site that explains each ESC and motors. Which one should go for?
http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm
Old 02-17-2004, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

First of all,Do you plan on racing right away or just playing around?....if so what type of tracks do you have in your area?....
Old 02-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

It comes down to where, and how often and what you plan to do. Race, just screw around? Electric is easier in the beginning, but to be super competitive at a higher, level, the knowledge needed at that level is huge and pretty comparable. Knowing how to tune an electric motor, peak batteries, etc. is a huge amount of knowledge so it comes down to personal preference. Both kinds of cars probably break just as easy. Costs in the long run, tend to be fairly comparable, but up front, easier with electric. When you gain knowledge on how to make electrics fast and competitive, the costs will start to escalate. Also, the more you get in to the hobby, the more you'll probably realize that your first car won't be your last, so don't worry to much about making a bad choice. If you go with a reputable, big company, you really can't go wrong, and in general, ou get what you pay for.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Make it easy on yourself, keep things simple. Buy quality equipment so you're not frustrated. I used to buy new cars all the time but it takes too much money to keep up with them all. Buy one car that has a good rep and stick with it so you learn all the nuances. This way you just concentrate on buying spares instead of wasting money on new kits.

Buy good batteries, not the top of the line nor the bottom and you'll be good.

Buy a good mid level radio.

If you go electric, stick with one class for the time being to learn setup, motor techniques, etc. Graduate from there when you are consistently winning.

Don't have much experience in nitro other than 1/8th scale which can be expenisve and more maintenance than electric by far.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Not racing at all. Buying just for fun. I really can't afford to replace parts every month or so(or less).

I was offered a RTR RC10T3 with 3 batteries(2 1500 and 1 Sanyo 2400),Python JR radio and a 15min charger for $135 shipped. Has a Dynamite Power Pulse(these anygood?) ESC.

Which is faster a stadium truck(RC10T3) or a monster truck(Stampede)? If I don't go with the RC10T3 I was thinking maybe a Duratrax Evader or a Stampede. I do want something thats fast and doesnt run like something that came from Radioshack.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by SnipesXxX
Not racing at all. Buying just for fun. I really can't afford to replace parts every month or so(or less).

I was offered a RTR RC10T3 with 3 batteries(2 1500 and 1 Sanyo 2400),Python JR radio and a 15min charger for $135 shipped. Has a Dynamite Power Pulse(these anygood?) ESC.

Which is faster a stadium truck(RC10T3) or a monster truck(Stampede)? If I don't go with the RC10T3 I was thinking maybe a Duratrax Evader or a Stampede. I do want something thats fast and doesnt run like something that came from Radioshack.
just for fun? get a big monster truck like a t-max or stampede or that new associated one. To me r/c cars is kinda boring if you're not competing. I'd rather get into planes or helis if it's just for fun.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Well competing ain't gonna happen in my area. I live in a small county.

About how fast does a stock Stampede/Stadium truck go? Also how fast can they go if you modifie them? Can a stadium truck reach higher speeds?
Old 02-17-2004, 11:21 PM
Tech Adept

yea, when i bought my gear i was like "nah racing is too much hastle ill just bash, lucky i bought decent gear cause there is no way i can STOP racing.. :P
Old 02-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

Try going to one of these websites: www.teamassociated.com www.yokomousa.com www.hpiracing.com www.hobbypeople.net www.hobbytown.com www.http://www.teamnovak.com/