Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
TC3 vs. Losi XXX-S >

TC3 vs. Losi XXX-S

TC3 vs. Losi XXX-S

Old 02-28-2002, 06:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Default TC3 vs. Losi XXX-S

I'm looking to get into on-road racing at a local indoor carpet track. I have found two deals that I am interested in. One is an Associated Team TC3 with most of the factory upgrades and the other is for a Losi XXX-S. Both setups are about the same price and in good shape.

I'm looking for any advice on which car would be better for indoor carpet racing. At the track about 75% of the guys run the TC3 and 25% run the losi so the store stocks parts for both. Any information on the advantages/disadvantages of each car would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 02-28-2002, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Are you trying to start a flame war?

Anyway, I race on asphalt and don't know how each car will perform on carpet...so I will hold my tongue...and watch the chaos unfold.

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!
Old 02-28-2002, 07:15 AM
Tech Initiate

No, not trying to start a war here I'm really just looking for some user feedback on each car so I can make an educated decision on which to buy. I've been flying planes and helicopters and running nitro boats for years, but I'm new to on-road electrics so I could really use some advice.

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 02-28-2002, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Either is good. If you can drive, you can drive anything.

I say find the best deal you can, don't get fulled into thinking you need all the hop-ups, and spend all the money you saved on PRACTICE!

And after you get real good. THEN AND ONLY THEN will the car make a difference.

I'm sure you won't listen to this advise, and I'm sure you'll buy every blue or red aluminum piece out there...
Old 02-28-2002, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

You'll get alot of feedback here then. Both a excellent cars and you won't be disappointed with either of them. Glad your going to start racing the cars now. They are lots of fun.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

To help your purchase decision....

TC3, XXX-S, Mission or Xray. All these cars are about the same. The best deal is probably the "Losi XXX-S". It's everything you need including a body for $179. Next would be the "Team TC3" for $199 + $19 for a body, then the Mission, and then Xray. The last two are expensive and really for people who like to fidle with everything.

ChristopherKee
Old 02-28-2002, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Go with what the most helpful guys are driving. That way if you are having a problem they can help you out. Both cars are excellent the choice is yours. Good Luck
Old 02-28-2002, 07:45 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I own both....

I will say that the XXXs is the easiest to drive out of the box...
But, easy is not always fast....

With a little work, I am faster with the XXXs....

But, the main issue is what parts does your LHS stock....
also look and see what the local guys are running....

Hope this helps.....
Old 02-28-2002, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Good advice, Crash. I completly agree. Go to the track and meet some guys, hang out, watch the cars on the track and see if you develop a preference.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

I'm with Crash and Jack, talking to the local guys is best. Talking to locals guys that own both is better. Since you say your hobbystore has parts for both, don't base your decision on parts availability. Where I race stores only have parts for TC3, and not for the XXX-S

Aftermarket parts aren't that bad
Old 02-28-2002, 08:13 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Another "vs." thread, huh?

Heck, I would say get a Corally or Schumacher, but I'm a little bias!

Really though, why not get both. That way you don't have to decide.

But, if you must choose, I would say go with the............hell, I don't know flip a coin or something!

Thats just how close these modern TC's are these days. You really can't go wrong with either. Heck, pick the car that looks better to you. Thats as good as any other method when picking between those two cars.

You really can't go wrong with either.

Last edited by Darkseid; 02-28-2002 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

If 75% of the local guys are running the TC3, then I would suggest buying that. Parts availabiliy is a wash from what you have said, but SETUP knowledge is VERY important. There's usually a pack of about 5-6 guys that are consistantly fast at the track. You need a car that you can use to pick the fast guy's brains while you improve your skills. It's as simple as that.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:02 AM
Regional Moderator

I use to run Tamiya cars only. Idid my reseasrch on the TC3 and got theFTTC3, only because it included alot of the hop ups that I would of gotten anyway. I like the options that Associated gives you. All 3 are race ready out of the box. The racing kit is the less expensive one and it comes with tires, wheels and a body for about $160.00, the Team kit is about $200.00 and it includes some hop ups the FTTC3 is about 280.00 and it includes alot more hop ups. Because it's shaft driven I think it's more efficient, it wont stretch.

The XXX-s is a very competitive kit. I hear the belt slips some on breaking.

check with the locals and see what they think. Call Trinity and Associated and make them sell you on the kits.

Good luck
Old 02-28-2002, 11:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ask to drive one of each car from the local guys you know at the track. This way you can base your decision on which car feels better suited to your driving style. Make sure each car is equipped with similar electronics, motor, batteries, tires, and radio to make the comparision more car/setup based instead of high dollar/low dollar or fully hopped up vs rtr. Just my 2 cents. Good luck, they are both excellent choices.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with Yok you really need to decide on what you think your driving style will be. Do you want to be a tight and agressive driver in and out of the corners or a fast and loose in and out of corners. I have owned both cars and find that other than handling characteristics the are very close. Actually the are really the same car except for chassis and drive train.

I personally prefer the Losi as it fights my style of driving, which is tight and agressive. It is actually I think the perfect car for a beginner to start with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.