Wiki Posts
Search

2010 ROAR Electric OnRoad Carpet Nationals @ The Track - Gaithersburg, MD

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Teacher
Way to support the racing in your area Rick! This is why racing is falling off in our area... I understand being frustrated about the new ROAR rules..but you are not hurting them by not racing...you are hurting the track that is hosting the race.
We should have a great race in the 13.5 B-C Main Teach...

On a side note...I think all the ROAR talk should start its own thread on the debate and let this race thread keep on track. Mimi is a great person and her locals deserve to have there race thread clutter free.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Wow, this is incredible.. This thread should be talking about the positive situation that Mimi's has the Nat's.

Really does not matter what classes or not... The race will be there, and the locals should do their best to make the race successful. Otherwise good luck getting another one in the future.

When I was the Committee Chair, we tried like hell to get something like this put into place. It never happened, and it is long overdue. Like it or not, the type of racing we enjoy most... is falling off the map. We can go blue in the face talking about reasons, but it all distills down to the fact we do not have enough entries. Making changes to rules to encourage NEW people to come to the NATS, well that is a no-brainer.

Maybe it is too late, maybe it is not, but something is being done. If you do not like the way things are implemented, be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Whatever overwrought, democratic system ROAR is using for voting, you guys need to work on THAT. 'Cause the changes being made are so far out of touch with what people actually want, it's hard to believe we're even part of the same hobby.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

I have said this a million times before and I'll say it again...

Every race has its own rules and at every race, racers have an issue here and there about something in those rules. The only difference is that ROAR has an entire book of rules, in print at the first of every year and they enforce those rules way more heavily... You have to define what your level of fun is and some feel as though rules get in the way of fun. But to crown a National Champion rules are established and enforced so that its the fairest possble way to do so.

To some people going to a race is all about the fun and to some others its about seriousness and winning. You have to determine what races are best suited for you. ROAR races definately have another feel to them. Some like it, some don't.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Whatever overwrought, democratic system ROAR is using for voting, you guys need to work on THAT. 'Cause the changes being made are so far out of touch with what people actually want, it's hard to believe we're even part of the same hobby.
respectfully disagree

This did not need to voted on because Roar responsed to the outcry of this issue
Old 10-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
but how do we account for the fact that many people don't want to travel to race a single class?

I would not be able to afford 2 classes at these prices nowadays anyway. $80.00..........

I understand ROAR has to pay their people but how about a break on the second class?

As for the bickering on here , all you are doing is pushing people away from this race Remember these are Toy Cars nothing else. We are racing for bragging rights only ...unless you are a Sponsored driver?

These are just the opinions of an old racer who just wants to have a little fun racing......
Old 10-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Teacher
Way to support the racing in your area Rick! This is why racing is falling off in our area... I understand being frustrated about the new ROAR rules..but you are not hurting them by not racing...you are hurting the track that is hosting the race.
This is about what I can afford/take time off/etc and not about ROAR Teach.
I support the local hobby shops and tracks Teach, I am not a sponsored racer and don't want to be. This is a hobby for me and I want to keep it that way thank you.

I had to pick between these 2 events, I wanted to run in a ROAR Nats event and did it so I can cross that off the list.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Oh and BTW The toy car statement is kinda lame because a lot of racers get 10-15-20% or more discounts on their equipment. When racing a toy car
costs over 1K ( thats everything not just the car ) then it more than a toy people.....

Mimi is a class track owner and there is no one better who goes out of their way to tries to give the racers what they want. The racers at The Track are second to no one when it comes to the hobby...
Old 10-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Legend

Default Roar does good

If Roar continues cleaning up the on-road race program ?

Calvin is going to run dry and have to find something else to do ....
Old 10-28-2009, 09:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Tag
We should have a great race in the 13.5 B-C Main Teach...

What? you doubt there's gonna be a D main for you to be in
Old 10-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As Christopher Kee stated earlier, why should beginners be coupled with pro racers when all we'd do is piss off the pro racers? I mean it is no fun for either party. And it becomes quite overbearing to the point that I would just up and quit.

I am a "funster" (tongue in cheek terminology used at my track) and I love the hobby. It is fun. I enjoy racing and am a fan of real racing. I follow F1, GP, Moto GP, and Le Mans. I like being able to watch a race and then partake in it at my local track. I have also done some real circuit racing and know how much of my bank account gets put into circuit racing for real cars. That is why I am in this hobby. I spend a fraction of what I spent for real circuit racing and have just as much fun. Plus if I crash, I know I will live to see another day without any bodily harm or impairments.

There are a lot of great posts here, but I am getting turned off at some of the negativity towards ROAR. I used to be a very proud member of ROAR in my Nitro On-Road and Nitro 10th scale days. I had to quit the hobby back then since I needed to save more money for college. But I have not renewed my membership mainly because after coming back to the hobby only a year ago, I saw that my driving skills were gone and I need to relearn everything over again, especially setting up cars since cars are much more advanced than what I was used to in the past. Would I join ROAR now? I definitely will. I appreciate the way that they are making the arena welcoming to "funsters" like myself and many other beginners in this hobby. That is definitely a formula on how to make this hobby thrive. Plus making a national event inviting to new people in the hobby will make the hobby that much more successful.

Now let's take things into perspective. Why do you think a lot of magazines (online or offline) do not bother covering pro racers winning races from here to kingdom come? Well, it is not appealing. People, especially beginners, can appreciate the accomplishments that pro racers have done, but at the same time, we look in our wallets and see our receipts on how much we spent to be competitive versus the pro racers that barely spend a dime and not have to worry about their cars breaking as much as we beginners and regulars. Suddenly the race report becomes more of a venue for bragging rights on who is the best pro racer in the hobby. Not saying that is what actually happens and a lot of pro racers, especially Paul L., are very great sports and enjoy helping people out when asked. But to a lot of beginners or newcomers, it can leave a chip on their shoulder. Some people will feel that the only way they can be as good is to be factory sponsored and there is no other way to be as competitive.

I understand that pro racers are here to help any way possible and they are great people and representatives for their company. But at the same time, in order to have more newcomers to this hobby, it has to be inviting for them. And by being inviting, you have to include them as well.

I saw some negative posts in this thread that really do not need to be here or in public, especially since it is a congratulatory thread for Mimi Wong and The Track winning their bid to host the 2010 ROAR Electric OnRoad Nationals. But underscoring the fact that you can never please everyone, why not take things directly to ROAR? I feel very bad for Dawn and ROAR that have done their best to include us "funsters" into the mix and partake in a great event. I mean seriously, can you imagine a newcomer to the hobby, potentially GREAT driver, be discouraged to even bother in this arena after seeing these kinds of posts? And second of all, to the very few factory drivers out there that are not in support of including "funsters" into the mix, can you imagine where the hobby would be if no more new people came? Or how about the new people that are starting out now, only to rethink coming into the hobby in the first place? Then where would your sponsorship be if your factory does not make enough money to have you race for them? I will not name names or point at anyone because this is all silly bashing talk back and forth for a TOY CAR RACE.

This is a hobby. It is about having fun. I understand people are competitive. It is in human nature one way or another. But let's not forget why we are in this hobby in the first place. TO HAVE FUN. TO ENJOY A COMMUNITY THAT SHARES THE SAME INTERESTS AS YOU. If you are very passionate about what needs to be and what should be, then why not at least try out the new rules. Take notes. Then you have a stronger argument on your behalf because you at least tried it and took notes on what works and what doesn't. In my career, when there is talk about change from the government about certain policies, we comply and try things out in a test area. Then we take our notes on what we believe is correct or acceptable and what isn't. That way, when we approach the government, we have all our ammunition ready. And more often than not, we're heard and adopted into the new policy because of one reason, we tried it out. Think quid pro quo.

Please let's just all try out these new rules. Let's see how everything works out. Take your notes. Be civil. The only thing I disagree with is having to be stuck in only one class. But I will play along and see how everything works. If things get irritating about trying to play along, think about the first day you entered into this hobby. Go back to your humble beginnings and remember the day that you first bought a touring car and started competing at your track. That should calm people's nerves. Or you can take up smoking. You make the choice.

Again, congratulations to Mimi Wong and The Track. I feel privileged to race with a bunch of great people there and will continue to support the hobby store there to keep the track open. I look forward to meeting the people across the country that will race at the Nats as well. I suck at driving for now, but I like to have fun!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HarryN
As Christopher Kee stated earlier, why should beginners be coupled with pro racers when all we'd do is piss off the pro racers? I mean it is no fun for either party. And it becomes quite overbearing to the point that I would just up and quit.

I am a "funster" (tongue in cheek terminology used at my track) and I love the hobby. It is fun. I enjoy racing and am a fan of real racing. I follow F1, GP, Moto GP, and Le Mans. I like being able to watch a race and then partake in it at my local track. I have also done some real circuit racing and know how much of my bank account gets put into circuit racing for real cars. That is why I am in this hobby. I spend a fraction of what I spent for real circuit racing and have just as much fun. Plus if I crash, I know I will live to see another day without any bodily harm or impairments.

There are a lot of great posts here, but I am getting turned off at some of the negativity towards ROAR. I used to be a very proud member of ROAR in my Nitro On-Road and Nitro 10th scale days. I had to quit the hobby back then since I needed to save more money for college. But I have not renewed my membership mainly because after coming back to the hobby only a year ago, I saw that my driving skills were gone and I need to relearn everything over again, especially setting up cars since cars are much more advanced than what I was used to in the past. Would I join ROAR now? I definitely will. I appreciate the way that they are making the arena welcoming to "funsters" like myself and many other beginners in this hobby. That is definitely a formula on how to make this hobby thrive. Plus making a national event inviting to new people in the hobby will make the hobby that much more successful.

Now let's take things into perspective. Why do you think a lot of magazines (online or offline) do not bother covering pro racers winning races from here to kingdom come? Well, it is not appealing. People, especially beginners, can appreciate the accomplishments that pro racers have done, but at the same time, we look in our wallets and see our receipts on how much we spent to be competitive versus the pro racers that barely spend a dime and not have to worry about their cars breaking as much as we beginners and regulars. Suddenly the race report becomes more of a venue for bragging rights on who is the best pro racer in the hobby. Not saying that is what actually happens and a lot of pro racers, especially Paul L., are very great sports and enjoy helping people out when asked. But to a lot of beginners or newcomers, it can leave a chip on their shoulder. Some people will feel that the only way they can be as good is to be factory sponsored and there is no other way to be as competitive.

I understand that pro racers are here to help any way possible and they are great people and representatives for their company. But at the same time, in order to have more newcomers to this hobby, it has to be inviting for them. And by being inviting, you have to include them as well.

I saw some negative posts in this thread that really do not need to be here or in public, especially since it is a congratulatory thread for Mimi Wong and The Track winning their bid to host the 2010 ROAR Electric OnRoad Nationals. But underscoring the fact that you can never please everyone, why not take things directly to ROAR? I feel very bad for Dawn and ROAR that have done their best to include us "funsters" into the mix and partake in a great event. I mean seriously, can you imagine a newcomer to the hobby, potentially GREAT driver, be discouraged to even bother in this arena after seeing these kinds of posts? And second of all, to the very few factory drivers out there that are not in support of including "funsters" into the mix, can you imagine where the hobby would be if no more new people came? Or how about the new people that are starting out now, only to rethink coming into the hobby in the first place? Then where would your sponsorship be if your factory does not make enough money to have you race for them? I will not name names or point at anyone because this is all silly bashing talk back and forth for a TOY CAR RACE.

This is a hobby. It is about having fun. I understand people are competitive. It is in human nature one way or another. But let's not forget why we are in this hobby in the first place. TO HAVE FUN. TO ENJOY A COMMUNITY THAT SHARES THE SAME INTERESTS AS YOU. If you are very passionate about what needs to be and what should be, then why not at least try out the new rules. Take notes. Then you have a stronger argument on your behalf because you at least tried it and took notes on what works and what doesn't. In my career, when there is talk about change from the government about certain policies, we comply and try things out in a test area. Then we take our notes on what we believe is correct or acceptable and what isn't. That way, when we approach the government, we have all our ammunition ready. And more often than not, we're heard and adopted into the new policy because of one reason, we tried it out. Think quid pro quo.

Please let's just all try out these new rules. Let's see how everything works out. Take your notes. Be civil. The only thing I disagree with is having to be stuck in only one class. But I will play along and see how everything works. If things get irritating about trying to play along, think about the first day you entered into this hobby. Go back to your humble beginnings and remember the day that you first bought a touring car and started competing at your track. That should calm people's nerves. Or you can take up smoking. You make the choice.

Again, congratulations to Mimi Wong and The Track. I feel privileged to race with a bunch of great people there and will continue to support the hobby store there to keep the track open. I look forward to meeting the people across the country that will race at the Nats as well. I suck at driving for now, but I like to have fun!
Dude, there's no way I'm reading all of that.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know this won't amount to much but I am going to put my 2 cents in.

I am pretty much a newb at this hobby only 6 months but me and many other people have put in time to bring new people into this hobby that we all find amazing.

We do this every Thursday at the "C" me and others host a 2 heat and 1 main race night called sportsman night. This was a great idea from the very beginning and we have done really well so far by bringing new people in almost every week. We have 3 classes (beginner - stock silver can, any chassis), (Sportsman - 21.5, any chassis or VTA rules), (expert - 17.5 roar rules). Its hassle free door to door racing and its not about being the best but having fun. This gives new people the chance to try out the hobby without having to come down Saturdays during club races and race with the fast guys and just cause more stress then necessary. I know because that's how I started.

I like the idea of a sportsman class coming from a beginner that just started racing but it needs to be separate from anything else. Sportsman needs to be split from stock. SO there is a sportsman 17.5(beginner), stock(intermediate), super stock(expert) and mod(pro).

Just my 2 cents

-Troy
Old 10-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~
Dude, there's no way I'm reading all of that.
LOL!! Ok, here is the TLDR (Too Long, Didn't Read) version:

1.) I don't want to piss off pro racers because they are better than me. I don't want to race with pro racers when I will just get creamed and blasted at.

2.) Include funsters and beginners in events. That is how the hobby grows.

3.) This is a TOY CAR RACE!! HAVE FUN!

4.) Try out the new rules, take notes, and then approach ROAR with the fact that you tried out the new rules and you have some concerns.

5.) Grats to Mimi Wong and The Track. Great people, great funsters, great fun! Privileged to be there and race amongst some great people.

How's that, McSmooth?
Old 10-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Tag, you know it's on.......The Temple of the Mimi Wong Clan is my house! Whomever qualifies the lowest has to race the main in a miniskirt and high heels...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.