Need Advice on Tire Truer Purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Advice on Tire Truer Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

RichO, you are correct. To everyone else- why would you be in such a rush to take 4mm of material off a tire in one pass? It is just like cutting a comm- would you take 0.4 inches off the comm in one pass? I know I wouldn't. The idea of the manual wheel is that the slower you go, the better the finish quality.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by RichO
Pyramid: Well that doesn't seem to jive with what other posters are saying. I would imagine that they are cutting 4mm or more in a pass if I understand what they are saying correctly...

Please correct me if I am wrong. I seem to remember most foams come in around 63mm or so.
About the Hudy AC truer? I`m only giving comparison with the bigger one (hudy). Even if you cut 1mm in one pass, still it will slow down in the middle. My statement is based on having using all 3 tipes of Hudy truers, not what is says on the magazines. I have not used the GQ one since it wasn`t even shipped yet from the factory. You buy the GQ one only if prices are the most concern. As far as quality, you get what you paid for!

The manual wheel is not to slowing it down.. it is manual movement.. that`s it. If it is meant to be able to do slow cut.. then Hudy should not be bother to use variable moving speed on its automatic one

Automatic one not only good for truing many tires without sweating but also give you more perfect finish. It may not be easily noticable on foams, but imagine what it does on com lathe.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Jeez, just buy one already Rich !
Old 02-18-2004, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well now there is a twist. It turns out that Hudy is now "including" (more like forcing) you to get the metal box with the truer. Now the best price out there is $275 which seems really steep for a manual truer.

I am starting to come around to Arun's (A-Groan ) thinking about getting the Integy unit.

I would consider the automatic Hudy if I could get away with using my Radio Shack 25A switching power supply to run it, but I am guessing it needs more juice than than?!?!

What is everyone with a Hudy Automatic using to run it?
Old 02-18-2004, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

And to think I let a blue MaxMod slip through my dead cold hands at $155 the other day...

Old 02-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Tech Regular

I got my Hudy Universal yesterday, and my arbor today, and I'm happy to report that it cuts great! I bought some 36 tooth per inch jigsaw blades, a 3 pack, you can make 2 or 3 blades out of each entire blade, for about $5. If anyone's interested.. (BOSCH U118G3) I still haven't found a good trim stick yet, I might go back to Home Depot to see what they have.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Rob how did you measure ( with out destroying a tire ) the accuracy after you put the blade in it. Meaning when you dial it in to 60MM, how did assure that it was 60 and not 55 ?

Please advise, Chris
Old 02-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

I can answer that question for you. You will need to get what is called a "caliper". This is basically the same thing as a Micrometer. I got a 6" digital caliper off of ebay for like $25 shipped.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Tech Adept

LMAO

I have one of those. What I am talking about is when you take the blade out and replace it with a different one is there a way to set it up so that the dial indicator is still acurate.
I am going to put a new blade on mine, but I dont want to have to was a tire adjusting it if I dont have to.

Get it? maybe I am not explaining myself correctly.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by RichO
Well now there is a twist. It turns out that Hudy is now "including" (more like forcing) you to get the metal box with the truer. Now the best price out there is $275 which seems really steep for a manual truer.

I am starting to come around to Arun's (A-Groan ) thinking about getting the Integy unit.

I would consider the automatic Hudy if I could get away with using my Radio Shack 25A switching power supply to run it, but I am guessing it needs more juice than than?!?!

What is everyone with a Hudy Automatic using to run it?
The Integy truer is GREAT. I just got mine week ago. I use my 13 amp Cosel power supply, and it works great. Surprisingly enough, the integy doesn't draw that many amps. I have even had my charger running while I'm using my tire truer! And yes, the 13 amp power supply! I can post pics if anyone is interested. Let me know what you want to see (if anything).

-etzkev
Old 02-18-2004, 07:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Smalls
Rob how did you measure ( with out destroying a tire ) the accuracy after you put the blade in it. Meaning when you dial it in to 60MM, how did assure that it was 60 and not 55 ?

Please advise, Chris
The guy who had it before me was also using jigsaw blades, so since jigsaw blades are pretty much universal (I measured the distance from the saw to the edge on both, and they were the same) also, I had a pair of fresh tires I cut down to 62 on a truer I know was true, so I clamped in my tire, moved the saw into where it was touching the foam, and low and behold, it read 62. So i know it is pretty accurate. I then cut my tires down to 59 (according to the gauge on the truer), and measured with calipers, and it was 59.XX, so it is pretty accurate. You could do the same with a tire, just skim it, measure it, and calibrate the tool to be accurate.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Rob, I know... it was stupid question...lol... I just wanted to hear how someone else was doing. Thanks again Man.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Smalls, I see what you were asking now. I just didn't understand at first. Sorry.

etzkev
Old 02-19-2004, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Rob Hochberg
The guy who had it before me was also using jigsaw blades, so since jigsaw blades are pretty much universal (I measured the distance from the saw to the edge on both, and they were the same) also, I had a pair of fresh tires I cut down to 62 on a truer I know was true, so I clamped in my tire, moved the saw into where it was touching the foam, and low and behold, it read 62. So i know it is pretty accurate. I then cut my tires down to 59 (according to the gauge on the truer), and measured with calipers, and it was 59.XX, so it is pretty accurate. You could do the same with a tire, just skim it, measure it, and calibrate the tool to be accurate.
Rob, I'll sell you my original HUDY cutting blade for 3 bucks. Never seen a cut. Or you can invest in the carbide cutting blade for 30 bucks and never have to change it ever again. You've seen my cuts, perfect.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Tech Regular

John, yeah sure, I'll take it, I'll give you the rest of the money I owe you soon too! Hopefully, I'll get hired as bagboy at Giant this month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.