Search

Looking for my first rc car.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:31 PM
j0e
Tech Rookie

Default Looking for my first rc car.

Hi guys,

I am looking for my first electric on road car. I had a nitro car lot of years ago but i left it fast and continued with aircraft and helis. Now i want to start again and i am searching for my first car.

The car type i would like to buy would be a race onroad car for club races but i would like also to be able to make some drift by only changing tires.

From a research i made i would like to start with the Tamiya TA - 05 v2.

My budget is about 550$.

Do you think the Tamiya TA - 05 v2 will be ok for my needs? Does it worth the extra money than buying a TT - 01E or a TB - 03 ?

I dont want something to break records but i want a kit that has some potential to be competitive in a local club race with some friends.

Can TA - 05 v2 take faster setups than TT - 01E and TB - 03?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

tc5 is good.. i dont know much about drifting ,but if you can get a tc5 second hand its pretty cheap and good parts support and car runs great.. i just run mine yesterday on an asphalt usualy high bite traction but last night it was on a medium traction.. and it runs good... second hand runs for 200+ brand new is 320... if you have $500 budget for a new kit. xray is damn tuff car... and also tamiya is veryvery competitive,,,...
Old 10-12-2009, 03:06 PM
j0e
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by pinggoy
tc5 is good.. i dont know much about drifting ,but if you can get a tc5 second hand its pretty cheap and good parts support and car runs great.. i just run mine yesterday on an asphalt usualy high bite traction but last night it was on a medium traction.. and it runs good... second hand runs for 200+ brand new is 320... if you have $500 budget for a new kit. xray is damn tuff car... and also tamiya is veryvery competitive,,,...

Thanks for the response pinggoy. I am sorry i didnt put all the details in my first post so i have to add that the 550$ budget is not supposed to cover only the kit value but all the package from kit to RTR .
Old 10-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by j0e

Do you think the Tamiya TA - 05 v2 will be ok for my needs?
Yes, Probably the perfect kit for you, Though the regular TA05 or TB03 would also be fine.

TT01 is not worth buying unless its for tearing up and down the driveway.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 PM
j0e
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Metla
Yes, Probably the perfect kit for you, Though the regular TA05 or TB03 would also be fine.
I read that belt cars are more efficient than shaft cars like TB03. Is this defference noticeable when you run? I mean will you earn any seconds in a speed lap?

does TA05v2 stock upgrades also offer noticeable performance over regular TA05?
Old 10-12-2009, 03:26 PM
j0e
Tech Rookie

sry double post
Old 10-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by j0e
I read that belt cars are more efficient than shaft cars like TB03. Is this defference noticeable when you run? I mean will you earn any seconds in a speed lap?

does TA05v2 upgrades also offer noticeable performance?
This may well get me roasted, But no, It wont make any difference, The main contributing factor will be your driving skills as long as you are driving a capable car, Until you get plenty (100's,1000's?) of laps under your belt and it occurs to you that you have reached the abilities of that car.

As for shaft vs belt, That's largely a meaningless debate imo. The theory is the shaft car gives you immediate throttle response but is less forgiving,while the belt drive has a bit of give in the drive line so is more forgiving,especially on throttle out of corners.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Kyosho TF5 RTR, great car and can be upgraded too. The RTR is like the kit version (also shaft) so the plastic can be replaced with carbon fiber, if you choose to (i did). Great car and with it being shaft, forget about pebbles/rocks damaging your the drivetrain.

The TA05 of course is a great car too if belts are what your going for.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:27 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

go to ur local track and see what they run and what the place stocks parts for. see if folks are selling their used equip. be leary of what it is and dont buy on a name. if it looks like u can do better elsewhere - u can. as far as drifting it. presume thats gonna be in a p-lot or driveway/court etc. good way to beat on a car. a car u worked on to race. besides u'll get bored of that very quickly as every1 i've seen who did it. there's good reason why its referred to as the special olympics of motor sport.

good luck and welcome

R
Old 10-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

with that budget.. you might as well buy some second hand stuff... i got my setup around $620, -$200 for new but build tc5, $100 for a lipo charger and lipo orion 5000mah, $100 for a gtb, $50 for brushless duo.$50 for a speed controll. and 120 for a m11 spektrum w/rx... you save alot... check for sale thread constanly.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Iam newer to the hobby and started racing few months ago with the Ta05. Its a good car, parts and support are everywhere. Its easy to drive and get used to racing. I have no complaints. I love it.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

TA05 has durabilty going for it as well. That is what I am running, have been for a year, and if you are going for value durability it is tough to beat. I have heard it is relatively easy to tweak a TC5.

I also recommend the local parts availability. What the guys are running locally go with that. You will get setup tips as well. Check out the local racing scene, some of the local hobbies shops don't always give the best advice if they aren't in to racing.

If you are going to go used you can get a used TA05 as well and you will end up under $550. You could probably even get a brushless system and just get in under your budget. Better yet, a good Lipo battery or 2. They are much better than NiMH and you will really enjoy the long run times not to mention a huge performance boost.

Depending on how strict you are going to be with your budget there are a bunch of things you don't know about that will add up. Tools, carrying case or some sort of storage system, tool box, body trimmers, paint, traction compound, motor cleaner, deans connectors, soldering iron, extra tires for racing . . . . . . . . Nothing huge, but it all adds up.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Tech Addict

All brand new

TA05 kit with ball bearings $175
EZRun 35A 9T combo $90
5A balance charger $60
2S LiPo pack $25
2.4GHz Tx/Rx/servo $130

Total to get running less than $500

If you want a TA05 V2 then it still comes in at under your $550 budget.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Tech Adept

Buy a Tamiya TA03F

Only the F though. Ebay has a couple right now from $99 - $150. Buy a nice NOVAK GTB Brushless System or the "Ebay" EZ Run Brushless system & you'll be flying. Also consider the FRP or Carbon Fiber Chassis Kit. The TA03R kit will work fine, they're about $55 on the bay. Huge improvement with the decks instead of plastic tub chassis. Its a great handling car & you can always convert it to drift or rally. Its just an awesome handling, all-around, BADA$$ car. Do some research on the beast.

No need to spend $500 in this economy on something you won't like. Just try the TA03F its an addictive chassis.. LOL. I've gone hopup crazy with mine. & just can't stop Plus.. If you decide to sell down the road, the TA03 w/hopups is worth more than a lousy TC5
Old 10-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Tech Champion

I have raced a ta05 for about 2 or 3 seasons and liked it before I got the 415msxx, nice reliable car and not too expensive.

I did spend a bit on upgrades, just to make it more durable and look better but it's already pretty strong out the box.

Put it this way, you could do a far lot worse than an out the box ta05.

Downside is that it is a bit heavy, but you can't have your cake and eat it for the price of one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.