R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   TA03 help! or any tamiya fan! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/33567-ta03-help-any-tamiya-fan.html)

BrainTeased 02-15-2004 05:43 AM

TA03 help! or any tamiya fan!

Hi guys im wanting to get to know this car abit more better as im about to get an electric car also for quite times in the back yard or on the streets as oppossed to my loud nitro car.

How old is the TA03 chassis?
How much is it worth roughly RTR 2nd hand with a few mods like carbon fibre chassis and high performance motor with 2 battery packs etc..?
whats the best tamiya electric model chassis today?

Guys im asking this particular model becoz i can do a trade from my nitro car and just wanted to see if it was worth it plus he will give me cash on top with the electric car which will go to my new nitro car!

so yea how much are they worth and at what rank are they with all the electric cars today and what rank are they with just the tamiya electric models. all comments appreciated! thanks :)

P.S dunno if its TA03f or TA03R etc...

Evoracer 02-15-2004 05:53 AM

Hey Brain, gimme a minute and I'll PM you. Hope I can help.

RCGaryK 02-15-2004 06:41 AM

The first TA-03 was released in 1996 sometime I believe, as Dave Jun won the ROAR nats with it in 1997 if memory serves. Just food for thought, Tamiya USA was blowing out TA03R TRF chassis at the nats this past year for like 50-bucks. The difference between a TA-03R and F is simply motor location. The F has a front motor, the R has a mid-chassis one. Compared to today's chassis, they wouldn't be extrememly competitive but in a TCS race in GT2 or GT3 it can still somewhat hold its own. The currrent flagship Tamiya performance sedans are the 414M2 (soon to be replaced by the 415) and the Evolution 3 Surikarn Limited Edition (so limited that it's already out of production). I hope this helps

AsiaTees 02-15-2004 10:08 AM

The TA03 chassis is definiately a good car to run. The latest Tamiya chassis are TB-02, TT-01 and TA04. They are all good cars. If you want bash around at your back yard, the TA03 will be more than enough for this purpose. Its quite fast, and the parts are very durable.
Whether the trade is a good deal really depends on which nitro car you got and the condition of the TA03. You will need to buy a charger for the batteries. This will add like $50 to your cost. Tamiya is one of the best supported car on the market. You can find a lot of spare parts for this car so you won't need to worry about flying over anything in front of it.

Dragonfire 02-15-2004 10:03 PM

I disagree with that..

The tao3 is a good car especially the r. But it is outdated and it is also discontinued. You will still find some spares but not that many unless you find old hop ups that cost too much for bashing around the back yard.

Most gpm stuff is alloy.. I have used alot of it in the past.. it does bend i assure you. if you want a fun car.. look for a 2wd off road.. they are hard to beat for some fun and they are very simple cars.

BrainTeased 02-16-2004 01:35 AM

Thanks guys for sharing your time :) It was great help :) now that you guys have given the thumbs up ill consider the trade with lots of cash on top :P any major difference with the suspension and chassis layout with the TA03 and the latest TB-01 etc? or are they basically the same ? thanks once again guys :) and i dont intend to race with this car! its just gonna be a fun bash around car :) so i can practice in the streets without disturbing my nehbiourhood then ill get another nitro car! but i do want it to be half decent so i can do some nice mods on it like chrome rims and a nice body shell etc...! also sorry dragonfire not a fan of offroad racing :P