Search

17.5 Touring Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 06:08 PM
-J-
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default 17.5 Touring Questions

I'm looking to get into 17.5 touring. My LHS has a track out back. It's a small infield road course type track inside a trioval. It's asphalt, and quite slick. I'll be running rubber tires. I'm looking for some suggestions on what chassis to run for the conditions I've described. I'm not looking to spend $500 on a chassis alone. I was thinking about something in the $400 and below price range. I've been looking at the TOP Photon, Hot Bodies Cyclone TC, AE TC5R, etc. BTW, I have some radio gear from another chassis I was running: TP Pro Race 2s 4200mAh 40C li-po, futaba bls451 servo, and spektrum receiver. I can't really afford to replace what I currently have at the moment. Please take that into consideration when suggesting a chassis. Also, what kind of bodies are people running? Mind you it's a tight, slow, and technical infield track. Any other information pertaining to 17.5 touring would be great.

Last edited by -J-; 10-10-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Protoform R9R DNA1/2 or maybe Mazdaspeed 6.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by -J-
I'm looking to get into 17.5 touring. My LHS has a track out back. It's a small infield road course type track inside a trioval. It's asphalt, and quite slick. I'll be running rubber tires. I'm looking for some suggestions on what chassis to run for the conditions I've described. I'm not looking to spend $500 on a chassis alone. I was thinking about something in the $400 and below price range. I've been looking at the TOP Photon, Hot Bodies Cyclone TC, AE TC5R, etc. BTW, I have some radio gear from another chassis I was running: TP Pro Race 2s 4200mAh 40C li-po, futaba bls451 servo, and spektrum receiver. I can't really afford to replace what I currently have at the moment. Please take that into consideration when suggesting a chassis. Also, what kind of bodies are people running? Mind you it's a tight, slow, and technical infield track. Any other information pertaining to 17.5 touring would be great.
I'm not sure if you have considered this or not but have you looked at the Xray T2R Pro? Its a very nice budget car and is still very competitive.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Protoform LTC Body is very good choice or Speed 6, R9R is not very popular as they tend to be very loose..Best overall body thou is Speed 6. Tires for there RP30s..Speedo Tekins RS are great or LRP Spx. Chassie TOP cars are good cars out of which you posted.

If your speaking of Rock Hill I ran there today. Your current radio gear is fine also.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

EDIT: Local guy.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:09 PM
-J-
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by John Tag
Protoform LTC Body is very good choice or Speed 6, R9R is not very popular as they tend to be very loose..Best overall body thou is Speed 6. Tires for there RP30s..Speedo Tekins RS are great or LRP Spx. Chassie TOP cars are good cars out of which you posted.

If your speaking of Rock Hill I ran there today. Your current radio gear is fine also.
I was at the Grove today as well. Blonde haired kid with black pants and gray t-shirt. I believe I talked to your son.

How is the Hot Bodies Cyclone TC? I saw there was one running today. I may have a trade for a decent one.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by -J-
I was at the Grove today as well. Blonde haired kid with black pants and gray t-shirt. I believe I talked to your son.

How is the Hot Bodies Cyclone TC? I saw there was one running today. I may have a trade for a decent one.

Thanks for the help.
Yea Probally my son. He drove the Orange car I had the yellow car.

HB car is decent car as long as its in good shape from who you buy it from. But going new a TOP,Losi or AE cars are all good to start. My sons Losi car is almost stock out of box with added spool gear, Sway bar kit and springs total about $35 in upgrades.

He also running a Standard LRP TC Spec speedo, You saw how fast he was..So a good used LRP TC Spec speedo will get you going well also.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:24 PM
-J-
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by John Tag
Yea Probally my son. He drove the Orange car I had the yellow car.

HB car is decent car as long as its in good shape from who you buy it from. But going new a TOP,Losi or AE cars are all good to start. My sons Losi car is almost stock out of box with added spool gear, Sway bar kit and springs total about $35 in upgrades.
So you would recommend the Losi? Being $320 is a huge plus. Is that what you were running today?
Old 10-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by -J-
So you would recommend the Losi? Being $320 is a huge plus. Is that what you were running today?
Yupper.. Thats all we run right now..Great car's..Yea Losi finished 1-2-3 today. All I would recomend for update are 1-Sway bar kit(install .40 on front), 42T spool gear(for front) and 1-15 Lb spring set for rear(use kit 17 rear springs and use those on front). All for about $35 in upgrades. Start with KIT Build set up and run.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:37 PM
-J-
Tech Regular

So I can run my li-po in the JRX-S no problem? What kind of pinions are you running at the Grove? Thanks again.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Check the for sale thread there is a Losi Type R for sale right now. I just bought a lipo pack from the guy selling. Here is the thread. Try and talk him down. 350 hmm might be a little high.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...tems-more.html
Old 10-10-2009, 07:45 PM
-J-
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dfiantii
Check the for sale thread there is a Losi Type R for sale right now. I just bought a lipo pack from the guy selling. Here is the thread. Try and talk him down. 350 hmm might be a little high.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...tems-more.html
Appreciate it. I'll PM him. Kind of sad he's asking $350 for it when you can get it for $315 from amain.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah. The lipo pack he is selling. I have one already but wanted two. They fit the Type R. Maybe he is charging for it being assembled. But I would break it down anyway and rebuilt it so you know how your car is set up from scratch. Thats what I did with a third hand Corally RDX I bought for RCGT Class.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:56 PM
-J-
Tech Regular

The li-po I plan to use is 1mm bigger in every dimension. It should fit right? Thanks.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

What is the name of the lipo. I think the Losi Type R Thread is going to become your best friend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.