R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   No more ball cup steering slop! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/334591-no-more-ball-cup-steering-slop.html)

kyle_rg 10-10-2009 11:59 AM

No more ball cup steering slop!

Hey, this is my first post here, hoping this is sort of in the right section because I use it on my TC4.

I'm guessing you may have heard of this tip but I'll share it anyways because it's so simple and has made a big difference in my cars. I searched on forums and no one seems to be doing this.

I was trying to figure out how to eliminate the slop in ball cup joints on my Associated cars, and I figured out that you can use super glue. The secret is that you have to apply a very light coating of grease to both the ball and inside of the ball cup. The best way is to use a q-tip with a little grease on it and stuff it into the ball cup, then use the q-tip to lightly coat the ball with grease.

Then lightly coat the ball with super glue and quickly pop the ball into the cup. Do not put glue into the ball cup because too much glue will get trapped inside and seize things up. Don't touch it for 15 minutes or so to let it dry. Then you can break it loose and voila, it moves very freely with NO slop! And it lasts for a long time too. When a bit of play develops again, just repeat the process.

My nitro TC3 and TC4 now have NO steering play at all! And it has lasted for a long time and several crashes.

Hope this helps!:D

CarbonJoe 10-10-2009 12:03 PM

Another way to remove the slop is to use small pieces of blue plastic grocery bags. Place a small square or circle over the ball stud, and snap the ball cup back on. Some may take two or three layers to get all of the slop out.

louis flood 10-10-2009 12:21 PM

or replace with correct factory patrs

ZEe_NYC 10-10-2009 12:29 PM

/thread

RPM Ball Cups

kyle_rg 10-10-2009 12:32 PM

well, even brand new ball cups have a tiny bit of play in most cases, and if they don't, there's a lot of friction. You can even do the super glue thing on brand new ball cups like I do and there's very little friction and no play.

MonkeyFist 10-10-2009 01:50 PM

Removing all of the slop is a bad idea any way. A little bit of slop provides some forgiveness in case of small impacts. If you have no slop at all then the stress of any impact transfers directly to the weakest part of the assembly. Too much slop is a bad thing as well, but I'd rather have a little too much versus none at all.

Rob S 10-10-2009 01:54 PM

RC Car Action magazine had an article about this way back in the late 80's early 90's. and i have used it ever since at least on my bashers.

with my carpet cars i would rather replace with a quality aftermarket part.

but i think your right it does make for 1 super smooth 0 slop ball and cup.

R1wurks 10-11-2009 08:43 PM

just replace it

Theslowguy 10-12-2009 01:42 PM

Double post.

Theslowguy 10-12-2009 01:42 PM

Pick up a bag of those clear tiny rubber bands that little girls get from the dollar store for their hair or what not. Go from one ball stud to another. Pop the turn buckle back on. Viola, no slop with give...