Wiki Posts
Search

XRAY T3

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
Actually they both weigh the same. I just weighed them both last week but for the life of me the actual number escapes me at the moment!
Oh ok...i knew it was close. I think there was 1g difference when i weighed them. But still, theres some serious meat on the plastic ones
Old 04-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3
Oh ok...i knew it was close. I think there was 1g difference when i weighed them. But still, theres some serious meat on the plastic ones
I agree and it shocked me with all the material that they still weighed the same because I was very concerned about going to the Aluminum drives and loosing steering.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
its hard to make the diffs last with full on modified power. i know that Paul L. rebuilds diffs every four runs. additionally, he replaces the thrust bearings about 7 times more frequently than the rings and balls. i've been mostly running 13.5T indoors - which has some wear on thrusts as compared to 17.5T. i'd just suggest you get a ton of thrust bearings - try different brands - you might have more luck w/ other types. i've been using some from mcmaster with good success.
And they are half the price
Old 04-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3
The plastic spool outdrives are awesome. They last quite a while. if you get worried, put a tiny bit of black grease on the pins. Most prefer tham over the aluminium ones. Besides there not black The plastic ones are heavier than the aluminium ones with blades.
They feel like there good strong plastic so I wouldnt doubt there the same weight as the alu ones. The main reason I dont want to go to the alu ones is because I hate diff blades (although the xray ones have been really good so far) But id rather replace out drives every now and then, instead of blades.

Im really loving this car so far, the tiniest set up changes make such a big difference on the track, the shocks are different but once there built right they work pretty good
Old 04-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
They feel like there good strong plastic so I wouldnt doubt there the same weight as the alu ones. The main reason I dont want to go to the alu ones is because I hate diff blades (although the xray ones have been really good so far) But id rather replace out drives every now and then, instead of blades.

Im really loving this car so far, the tiniest set up changes make such a big difference on the track, the shocks are different but once there built right they work pretty good
+1 on changes. Regarding the composite vs aluminum out drives, before I knew they both weighed the same I ran the composites but I soon discovered 2 issues. 1) Even with using lube the pins still wear into the drive and thus cause additional play between the pin and the drive. 2) There was a mini parked at the end of a high speed section of a layout we ran a few weeks ago and I had the misfortune of rear ending it square. My car still appeared to be and drove okay during the remainder of that session but during the first qual after 1 hotlap and 1.5 laps during the race without hitting anything my car started to behave as if there was an issue and so I had to pull it off. After the race and back in my pit I discovered that the entire composite drive had broken off! So I've since gone to the aluminum drives.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Suspended

Thanks guys

Chris, its just weird in the picture. I was looking at that thinking the same thing, and went and double checked my car and its not there lol. It was dark in my house and I had to bump the brightness up, so I think thats what made it do that

Out of curiosity how many of you guys run the stock plastic out drives? Mine seem fine so far with a 4.5. But I havent ran it a ton so far
That is really strange that its not there. Looks like spring steel coating all over the c hub and arm.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well I joined the dark side...

This car scared me a number of times down the straight. The sound that beast makes me 'ing. Sitting next to the sweeper, I could hear it over nitros. BEAST. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
its hard to make the diffs last with full on modified power. i know that Paul L. rebuilds diffs every four runs. additionally, he replaces the thrust bearings about 7 times more frequently than the rings and balls. i've been mostly running 13.5T indoors - which has some wear on thrusts as compared to 17.5T. i'd just suggest you get a ton of thrust bearings - try different brands - you might have more luck w/ other types. i've been using some from mcmaster with good success.
you got a part number for Mcmaster?
Old 04-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
+1 on changes. Regarding the composite vs aluminum out drives, before I knew they both weighed the same I ran the composites but I soon discovered 2 issues. 1) Even with using lube the pins still wear into the drive and thus cause additional play between the pin and the drive. 2) There was a mini parked at the end of a high speed section of a layout we ran a few weeks ago and I had the misfortune of rear ending it square. My car still appeared to be and drove okay during the remainder of that session but during the first qual after 1 hotlap and 1.5 laps during the race without hitting anything my car started to behave as if there was an issue and so I had to pull it off. After the race and back in my pit I discovered that the entire composite drive had broken off! So I've since gone to the aluminum drives.
Yeah I figured the cvd pins would eventually work a groove into the out drives, just depends how long it takes to get to the point of the car driving weird because of that slot. After a hard hit id expect the outdrives to break, id rather break the out drives then bend cvd's, or have a diff blade break and then you notch your expensive alu out drives and have to get new ones. So I duno I guess you can argue both ways on what outdrives are better really. I do want to try a set though

Originally Posted by Chris Adams
That is really strange that its not there. Looks like spring steel coating all over the c hub and arm.
Yeah lol when I brightened up the pic it did some weird stuff. But its not there at all, and I havent cleaned it up since the pics. So I duno what happened there.

Originally Posted by Owen RaCing
This car scared me a number of times down the straight. The sound that beast makes me 'ing. Sitting next to the sweeper, I could hear it over nitros. BEAST. Keep up the good work.
Haha yeah that motor sounds sick! Its old and works great. I do want to get a octa wind lrp still though. Or maybe a newer orion
Old 04-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Haha yeah that motor sounds sick! Its old and works great. I do want to get a octa wind lrp still though. Or maybe a newer orion
Is it one of the GM Delta wind motors?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Danny-b23
Is it one of the GM Delta wind motors?
Nah its one of the older orion motors with the fan inside
Old 04-05-2010, 04:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jammincrtjames
you got a part number for Mcmaster?
Part Number: 7806K53 $9.86 Each
Old 04-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Brandon- OLD?! That thing was almost brand new when you got it a month ago lol
Old 04-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rx7ttlm
Brandon- OLD?! That thing was almost brand new when you got it a month ago lol
They havent made these motors with fans for a few years now LOL. Theres been 3 new versions since it It was almost brand new from you, but you know what I mean
Old 04-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

They havent made these motors with fans for a few years now LOL. Theres been 3 new versions since it It was almost brand new from you, but you know what I mean
Its an oldie but a goodie, and I finally looked at my 2010 Orions and they don't have fans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.