Wiki Posts
Search

XRAY T3

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
I agree ! I think the car looks great!

Can't wait to get mine and continue laying it down!
Steve,

have you ever found that you'd like to have more motor adjustment when chasing a certain FDR?

I am asking because I tried running a 21.5 motor and found that I had to have huge pinions. The range of spurs available from Xray didn't help either (and I didn't really want to buy any more spurs/pinions as I already have an impressive collection).

Last edited by niznai; 10-17-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The car looks nice. 4mm wider battery slots, ummm... I'm guessing there are battery locators on the inside as well so the battery can't slide into the belt if it cops a bump?
Old 10-17-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J.Filipow
The ability to 'flip' the diffs (left to right / vice versa) is really unique! It allows the belts to be adjusted according to a desired weight balance/distribution/bias.
That has been introduced in TC5 already. It's just another feature that's copied...
Old 10-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

And the Schumacher Mi4.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

if you hang lipo out from chassis you can even do it on 008 LOL
Old 10-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Default Plastic vs aluminum shock bodies

I see a few people don't like the plastic shock bodies. Plastic shock bodies have been used by XRAY for a while and I believe they are better than aluminum bodies for one major reason. Plastic does not absorb heat. Aluminum does and does it very well. It then transfers that heat to it's surroundings. Outside the shock body is fine, but inside is very bad. The shock oil will heat up further and breakdown quicker. Not good. It seems a little cheesy, but it is really effective and shows foresight. But if you race indoors, you probably won't notice a difference.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sohlman
I see a few people don't like the plastic shock bodies. Plastic shock bodies have been used by XRAY for a while and I believe they are better than aluminum bodies for one major reason. Plastic does not absorb heat. Aluminum does and does it very well. It then transfers that heat to it's surroundings. Outside the shock body is fine, but inside is very bad. The shock oil will heat up further and breakdown quicker. Not good. It seems a little cheesy, but it is really effective and shows foresight. But if you race indoors, you probably won't notice a difference.
the paying public wants aluminum shocks bodies and for the price tag that going to be attcach to this car they should be included I see that your sponsored or drive for MUGEN SEIKI USA do they they have plactic bodies or any bodyelse for that matter HEAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. TRF has the best shocks in the business and guess what their made out of aluminum
Old 10-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

+1
99% of UK team uses alloy shocks
Old 10-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
the paying public wants aluminum shocks bodies and for the price tag that going to be attcach to this car they should be included I see that your sponsored or drive for MUGEN SEIKI USA do they they have plactic bodies or any bodyelse for that matter HEAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. TRF has the best shocks in the business and guess what their made out of aluminum
i'd want ecs driveshafts as well for the price tags xray think up.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:59 AM
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Nice... The best part is, its true.

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
I agree ! I think the car looks great!

Can't wait to get mine and continue laying it down!
Old 10-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
see that your sponsored or drive for MUGEN SEIKI USA do they they have plactic bodies or any bodyelse for that matter HEAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. TRF has the best shocks in the business and guess what their made out of aluminum
To each as own

...but I put TRF shocks on my MTX4R because I too believe they are the best electric shocks out and guess what? They exploded under the heat and forces associated with nitro racing. And the heat changed the color of the blue anodizing in a five minute run. You can't compare electric and nitro. The heat produced from a nitro car would compromise plastic shock bodies during long runs (though the NT1 uses them too and they have the US Championship... Go figure.) You need to change shock oil every several runs to get a consistent nitro damper...just like most other aluminum "electric" shocks I've used.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Every R/C car I've owned in the last 10 years or so has had Lundsford turnbuckles and Tamiya TRF shocks put on the car as soon as its built.

I didnt do that with the Xray. I put the Xray aluminum shocks on the car and I can tell you they are just as good as the TRF and Schumacher shocks. They are extremely consistent, smooth, and easy to bleed. Setting rebound is also easy.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

ECS driveshafts are an option, and not all the team driver choose to use them. They therefor aren't essential (as well as being more expensive to fix if something breaks!).

I must confess I couldn't care less about the main shock body material. Before I was running Xray I used to wonder why they still ran plstic shock bodies. Because they are fine!

I would rather Xray supplied better pistons like Xray/Tamiya etc.
They use machined nylon which are are far smoother, with Xray's we have to cut them off the sprue which makes it far harder to ensure that the piston has the same profile all the way around.

Skiddins
Old 10-17-2009, 01:39 PM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by niznai
Steve,

have you ever found that you'd like to have more motor adjustment when chasing a certain FDR?

I am asking because I tried running a 21.5 motor and found that I had to have huge pinions. The range of spurs available from Xray didn't help either (and I didn't really want to buy any more spurs/pinions as I already have an impressive collection).
There have been only one or two times where it would have been nice to have a little bit more motor adjustment but honestly I can think that there's already a good amount of adjustment in the motor mount for 99% of the time.

I think that unless you're WAY off on your gearing there's generally enough room.

I like to stick with the biggest spur gear I can and gear accordingly.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I would rather Xray supplied better pistons like Xray/Tamiya etc.
Skiddins
Not to bust your chops, but that is one hell of a confusing statement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.