Axis II

Old 02-26-2002, 12:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Angry Axis II

Anybody know what might be causing shredding on the outside rear belt of my Axis ll? The 3x8 Top motor screw appears to have plenty of clearance and I can't find any obstructions.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Check the set screw on the pinion. Sometimes that will hit the belt. Hope that helps...
Old 02-26-2002, 02:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Axis ll

Thanks for the reply Racer X but the cutting into the belt is on the outside. The set screw on the pinion would be on the inside of the belt. I can't think of what else might be causing it.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Its on the outside of the belt, like the opposite side of the teeth? If so, have you checked your rear diff cases/bulkheads for a small rock or anything else? That could be it.....Sorry, dont know what else.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:42 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

All I can think is to check along the entire route of the belt. Consider that the belt vibrates quite a bit at full throttle, especially if the belt is old. So screws that are positioned directly over the belt may seem to have plenty of clearance, but when the car gets to going the belt may make contact.

Check the car while its running on top of your car stand. You might get to see whats happening then.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Darkseid is on the right track check the ball studs that the torque/tierods snap on to, the ones that replace the upper deck. If the long ball studs are used they will rub on the belt. I have seen this before at the track check them out and see that you have short ball studs in the right locations, if not get a dremel and grind them down some.