Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1s LiPo Touring - the answer to clever ESCs? >

1s LiPo Touring - the answer to clever ESCs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1s LiPo Touring - the answer to clever ESCs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Can we please stop calling it stock? Stock hasn't been stock since they allowed rebuildable motors.
I don't know about you but my "stock" motors were not stock even before rebuildables
Old 10-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred_B
The same question was asked when we talked about switching from NiMh to LiPo. Look where we're at now...
We're at 99% LiPo in touring car. The difference between 7.2 and 7.4 was barely noticeable. Most racers switched not for the performance but for the convenience of LiPo. No one wanted to deal with NiMH any more.

1/12 scale took a little longer because of the lower voltage, 4.8 versus 3.7 volts. After lots of testing it was determined you could not race the 2 together. So with many people screaming We Want LIPO! pan cars are now strictly 3.7v
Old 10-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by MarkBrown
Our local track has a healthy mod class, 9 cars last Sunday: http://home.att.net/~fantasyworldrac..._club_race.htm

This year we dropped 13.5 as a mainstream class to place more emphasis on mod. It has worked. We have a B main every week in 17.5 and quite a few new drivers in mod. We also run Trans-Am class (with silver can motors, performance similar to 21.5 but much cheaper and no ESC obsolescence issue) as an inexpensive fun class that can also serve as a bridge between novice and stock. Our Trans-Am turnouts have grown to equal the 17.5 turnout.
Then your track is an exception. And I don't know if I call 9 cars healthy. Worth racing, sure.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by wingracer
I don't know about you but my "stock" motors were not stock even before rebuildables
CHEATER!!!

I went to the carpet regional at RC Madness in 1994. I pitted near John Brown, who had one of those new trick dyno's ( I think it was a LavCo). We were playing with brushes and springs on our motors when one of the top drivers that John knew came over and asked to use the dyno. His motor instantly had 5 thousand RPM more than either of our motors. We just looked at each other and shook our heads.

Since then I never really liked stock.

Last edited by jiml; 10-07-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up Spectator

Originally Posted by Fred_B
The same question was asked when we talked about switching from NiMh to LiPo. Look where we're at now...

Any changes should be delayed for a full year to give every one time to get some use out of the cells that they have.
Hi, everybody seems to have a opinion, some say NiMH(sponsored drv) some say LiFe and some say Lipo.
I look around and the LiPo get the most attention from developers around the world, lately they discovered a way to charge Lipo with 5C and discharge cap. of 60C to 65C and there is more to come in the future.
In my view is Life not the best way for RC Cars, but this is a young chemistry that has to have much work to lift there capacity.
I think saying all of this, you can argue about al battery types you want but at the end you go there where development is far ahead of other storage solutions, and the best thing to do is watch around you and stay sharp.
This is my opinion, and further it is up to you guy's and let this time the finest technology prevaled.
Thanks
Old 10-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

good point
Old 10-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Going to 1S LiPo wll be a good way to reduce TC speeds, but it willnot solve any ESC "problems". The only way to eliminate the need for "special" ESCs is to go to the class that already exists - modified. In this class your speed is limited by your driving ability and you can pretty much run any battery, motor, or ESC and be as fast as the next guy.
This is the truth. With today's technology the esc will always be a factor. Look to real racing and try not to make the same mistakes that have already been made.

Slow it down: Make the cars weigh more(not likely), limit TRACTION(you can't put down the power if you don't have adhesion), change the power source(possible).

Dropping the voltage creates it's own problems. The current radio equipment is not designed for this voltage. It "works" but certainly wasn't designed for it. In 1s mod currently rx packs are the norm as every mah is needed to finish the race. You really can't limited the capacity because there will always be the "special pack" syndrome and could lead to unsafe charging/cycling practices.

I believe this is why handout tire/spec tire offroad MOD racing does well. You're down to driving and setup. You've got more powre than you need and you're limited to the same amount of traction as everyone else...

SO, spec tire/handout tire MOD TC on 2s. If you can hang on to it, you might win! LOL
Old 10-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Adept

imagine if we stopped changing the rules and just raced?
Old 10-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gameover
imagine if we stopped changing the rules and just raced?
Old 10-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

i think 1s touring would be great as it will help to cut the cost of the already expensive touring car.

and with it already stated that a 1s 3.5t will be slightly faster than a 13.5 on 2s, it should still be fast enough to keep people interested.

Last edited by LOW ET; 10-28-2009 at 11:53 AM.