Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Getting a grip on Lipo C ratings. It is insane. >

Getting a grip on Lipo C ratings. It is insane.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting a grip on Lipo C ratings. It is insane.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Adept

Default Getting a grip on Lipo C ratings. It is insane.

I have read so many different things about lipo battery C ratings my head hurts. I was told the C rating is like fuel tubing. The bigger the tubing the higher the C rating. It lets more energy to the motor. Then I read that there is no standardization within the industry or no one that monitors/tests what is being placed on our packs.

Anyone read the article that rctvlive posted on facebook? according to that just about anyone can put whatever rating they want on a pack. Is that true?
Old 10-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by microcrazy24
I have read so many different things about lipo battery C ratings my head hurts. I was told the C rating is like fuel tubing. The bigger the tubing the higher the C rating. It lets more energy to the motor. Then I read that there is no standardization within the industry or no one that monitors/tests what is being placed on our packs.

Anyone read the article that rctvlive posted on facebook? according to that just about anyone can put whatever rating they want on a pack. Is that true?
That is why it's best to trust the bigger names in the industry who have the equipment to prove their batteries are what they say they are.

i.e. Thunder Power, Fantom, Orion, Max Amps, SMC.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by microcrazy24
I
according to that just about anyone can put whatever rating they want on a pack. Is that true?

it is.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

There are standards for testing batteries, but there is no real enforcement of the standards. It is up to the manufactures to live up to the rating on the packs. Like Racecrafter said that is why buying from a reputable manufacture\distributor is a good idea. Personally I like Orion stuff. They tell you right on the box that Kokam is the cell maker. Kokam has a good rep, so I trust Orion packs. Some pack makers don't tell you where the cells came from, which bugs me just a little bit.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
That is why it's best to trust the bigger names in the industry who have the equipment to prove their batteries are what they say they are.

i.e. Thunder Power, Fantom, Orion, Max Amps, SMC.
MaxAmps.... Seriously Now.... They may make a quality pack but they would not be where I turn first. SMC or Thunder Power will be my first picks at buying what is actually printed on the pack.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

with the roar approved lipos, do roar do any testing on these batterys before approving them? ie see what the C rating is.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by subdriftr
with the roar approved lipos, do roar do any testing on these batterys before approving them? ie see what the C rating is.
how do you test the c rating?
Old 10-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

just been reading the maxamps page on lipos
http://maxamps.com/lipo-care.php
so the C rating doesnt mean alot?
Old 10-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by subdriftr
Yes. We keep records as to C rating adverstised on the label and what is actually found in the evaluations... although, since we have no rules for and no method to monitor and no right to enforce what people put on labels, we keep that information to ourselves.

I am very aware of which packs are true or truest to their labels.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Are you able to share that information with those of us that don't want to waste $100's on packs with labels that are "economical with the truth"???? Please
Old 10-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

ASKED....

Originally Posted by JR007
Are you able to share that information with those of us that don't want to waste $100's on packs with labels that are "economical with the truth"???? Please
AND ANSWERED

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
we keep that information to ourselves.

subject has been beaten to death in several threads,
one of my favorites was when labeler maker X said 40C wasn't possible and then released one a couple weeks later, which by the way was right after ThunderPower announced thier 40c pack. gotta love it.

Last edited by skypilot; 10-03-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez

Any idea when the updated ROAR list of approved lipos going to be published. Im holding off buying some packs before I see them
Old 10-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
ASKED....

AND ANSWERED

subject has been beaten to death in serveral threads,
one of my favorites was when labeler maker X said 40C wasn't possible and then released one a couple weeks later, which by the way was right after ThunderPower announced thier 40c pack. gotta love it.
that will be SMC always bashing every other comapny" Orion or thunder power" but when those 4200 cells dead on arrival or swelling lipo you NEVER hear from Danny
Old 10-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Maybe someday, someone, with enough resources will test all the available batteries, and then publish all battery tests results.

Now that would be quite respectable. On the other hand, it's ashame that people are already collecting this data and not releasing the data under some shadow name or shadow organization.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

C-rating

"C" stands for commerce. Larger the "C" value the larger the commerce the pack will promote.

ALL lipo pack builders over rate their products.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.