Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
getting into onroad racing!! need help!!! >

getting into onroad racing!! need help!!!

getting into onroad racing!! need help!!!

Old 09-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Questions?? getting into onroad racing!! need help!!!

i have been racing offroad for about 5 years now. i loved it but i always wondered what it would be like racing onroad. so i want to give it a try. i would like to get an associated 4wd. everything must be brand new. i hate buying used things!!! i will need a car, esc, bl motor, servo, lipo, and remote. i sold everything off road and i want to start fresh. do i need anything else to race???? i will be racing at west coast rc.

give me some suggestions!!!

thanks
peter
Old 09-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Do you have a budget? Or is it balls to the walls buy the best money can buy?
Old 09-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Adept

i am going ALL out on this one!
Old 09-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Associated TC means a TC5R for rubber tires TC5F for foams depends on where you are racing. Motor and ESC I'd go (option A) Tekin redline system with the motor wind of your choice depending on class. Option B would be a LPR SPX with motor wind for your intended race class. Both ESCs are excellent, it's kinda a toss up between the two. Chargers I would go Hyperion pick the model that fits your needs best all of them are excellent. Lipos packs is where things get sticky. Some folks like budget packs like Zippys, I personally don't trust them, not for any concrete reason, just a gut feeling. Radio gear I'm not up to speed on the newest stuff so that you'll have to get another opinion on.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 68peter
i have been racing offroad for about 5 years now. i loved it but i always wondered what it would be like racing onroad. so i want to give it a try. i would like to get an associated 4wd. everything must be brand new. i hate buying used things!!! i will need a car, esc, bl motor, servo, lipo, and remote. i sold everything off road and i want to start fresh. do i need anything else to race???? i will be racing at west coast rc.

give me some suggestions!!!

thanks
peter
Peter,

You didn't tell us what class you plan to run in? This can make some of these decision more or less important.

Car: TC5/Cyclone TC/XRay 009
- All these cars are capable of winning at any level. If you are more budget minded there are composite versions of these kits (less tc5) that perform very well, for their price point.

ESC: LRP SPX/KO BMC 1.5 or later/Tekin RS or Pro/etc
- Probably going to be the hardest decision you are going to have to make of all of this. What you may not want is a sensorless system. In on road the low speed cogging or rollback on start can put you in the back of the pack and behind the power curve. Dynamic motor timing, which if you run in a spec oriented class is quickly becoming the next best thing in on road racing, is not available in all speed controllers. There is also a trade off on this in that with speed controllers like the LRP there is no external programming which can limit you as technology advances. Technology is moving so quickly that you almost have to add a laptop or external programmer to the what ESC should I get discussion as it adds another level of adjustability that racers want.

BL Motor: Anything with adjustable timing
- I believe that WCRC was coming out with a line of BL motors. You may want to look at what they are rebadging. All the newer motors are fairly equal with adjustable timing and the ability to be rebuilt and multiple rotor options. Probably the biggest thing to consider along with the ESC is to not get a sensorless system, as there is too much cogging or rollback at low speed to really be effective. Off road does not suffer from this as you also have the track to contend with. This is really apparent in the spec classes.

Servo: Low profile servo
- Orion VDS-1007/KO Low profile. Space can be tough to figure out a low profile servo helps with that.

LIPO: SMC/Thunder Power 40c battery
- Higher C rating should give you a higher overall voltage across the race as there will be less of a drop.

Controller: Whatever feels good in your hand.
- You will probably want a 2.4 Ghz system D3Xr/4Pk/M11x are all good choices.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

t2009 is all out and in my opinion is the best car on the market today.
tekin rs pro is the way to go with speedos they always have new updates coing out to keep there customers on the top performace wise.
kopropo radios and servos are great all the way around.
fantom motorsand batterys your chocie of wind
Old 09-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

thanks for all the quick replies guys! i really dont know what class i will be racing in but if i were to take a guess it will probably be 13.5 beacuse i want some speed but not too much for the first couple of weeks. once i get use to the car then i can move up in speed and get something a bit faster.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Lipo battery fitment

Im in the same boat and it seems that no car has a stock lipo battery holder. So if you plan on using lipos thats something to consider

Last edited by DirtyDeez; 10-02-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: wrong spot