Wiki Posts
Search

Snowbirds Motors????????/

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks Ariel,

It was really brutal out there ( at least in my runs) even in practice people would not give you an inch. Until my my last run in19t sportsman, I did not finish a run in that class, including the Club race.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I kept my 19T around 32 for the timing. It semed to produce mid to high 80 watt power numbers on the dyno with efficiency in the mid 60's. This may seem to be a bad thing but, the motor wasnt anywhere as hot as when the timing was higher, and seemed to produce the same power throughout the entire run. After multiple dyno runs and a hot can, it never dropped more than 2 points. With the timing higher, it dropped off really bad after three dyno pulls. Torque was in the 1.1 area and always hit it around 11k RPM. I could put a bit more gear on the motor and it wouldn't fade from heat. The fan i had on my car seemed to help in this department as well. The arm i had with more epoxy on it was a dog in comparison to the other with little epoxy. My comms were cut and seemed to work best around .278. I was still one tooth off with my tire size in my last qually, but it didnt matter anyways, i wasnt there to finish the event. Its mod for me next year... im tired of having to hunt for power!

- Dave
Old 02-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

How often were you having to cut it and change brushes with it timed that high?
Old 02-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think they could of made the endbells a different color. at least you wouldn't have to take a second glance to know what motor you had in for sure. I understand the flat stock can and the round mod can. but let's be real. they could of made them different colors just so teching them could be easier too. geez
Old 02-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

i was at the race and with the hectic scedule i can see where a stupid mistake could take place!
Old 02-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

i know john malin and it had to be a case of just making a mistake. one thing john isn't is a cheater. it was caught in tech and i'm sure he is sorry it happened. running on little sleep and the cave like lighting in the rooms you are bound to have a mix up. i will vouch for john when it comes to cheating.. as for the motors..the oval heads knew the deal with timing and brush and spring combos because we have run these motors for a year now! i would love to see both motors become the handout motor of choice for alot of local races here in florida as well. and yes you can cut the timing back and put a gear on it or choose to crank it up and run less gear. the "no drill holes" in tech was great also. i haven't heard of anything being done to the motors this year like in past snowbirds. that is a good thing.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I had a 91 watt and a 124 watt 19 turn motor thanks to Eric Anderson. Eric and Putnam motors were practically untouchable!! You shoulda sen Eric's 19 turn motor in the 12th scale 19 turn A main!! My car had tons of yank, unfortunately the guy driving it sucked @$$ and didn't even show up mentally all week long.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

We (Putnam Propulsion) had no problems getting power out of the 19 turns or stocks. We didnt figure out the 19 turn stuff untill late Friday night/early saturday morning...Thats why Bigdog had one that was 91 watts and one 124 watts.. That was the difference we had after finding the right setup.

The stocks were pretty good too...But we dont build them for max watts. We look at the numbers in the 4-1 screen on the fantom. And loaded numbers on the Turbo dyno...We used both all week long.

Congrads to the winners and see ya'll next year!!

eric anderson
Old 02-10-2004, 01:22 PM
Tech Adept

Eric,

Any chance you'd like to share the 19T setup for the motors? We could use the help

Tony
Old 02-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

tony doesnt need any help thank you!
Old 02-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

shoot EA an email tony i'm sure he will help us out..i think the thing they found worked the best was the 10 turn arm in the 19 turn can? hahahahahahahaahahah j/k EA