Originally Posted by 68peter
i have been racing offroad for about 5 years now. i loved it but i always wondered what it would be like racing onroad. so i want to give it a try. i would like to get an associated 4wd. everything must be brand new. i hate buying used things!!! i will need a car, esc, bl motor, servo, lipo, and remote. i sold everything off road and i want to start fresh. do i need anything else to race???? i will be racing at west coast rc.
give me some suggestions!!!
You didn't tell us what class you plan to run in? This can make some of these decision more or less important.
Car: TC5/Cyclone TC/XRay 009
- All these cars are capable of winning at any level. If you are more budget minded there are composite versions of these kits (less tc5) that perform very well, for their price point.
ESC: LRP SPX/KO BMC 1.5 or later/Tekin RS or Pro/etc
- Probably going to be the hardest decision you are going to have to make of all of this. What you may not want is a sensorless system. In on road the low speed cogging or rollback on start can put you in the back of the pack and behind the power curve. Dynamic motor timing, which if you run in a spec oriented class is quickly becoming the next best thing in on road racing, is not available in all speed controllers. There is also a trade off on this in that with speed controllers like the LRP there is no external programming which can limit you as technology advances. Technology is moving so quickly that you almost have to add a laptop or external programmer to the what ESC should I get discussion as it adds another level of adjustability that racers want.
BL Motor: Anything with adjustable timing
- I believe that WCRC was coming out with a line of BL motors. You may want to look at what they are rebadging. All the newer motors are fairly equal with adjustable timing and the ability to be rebuilt and multiple rotor options. Probably the biggest thing to consider along with the ESC is to not get a sensorless system, as there is too much cogging or rollback at low speed to really be effective. Off road does not suffer from this as you also have the track to contend with. This is really apparent in the spec classes.
Servo: Low profile servo
- Orion VDS-1007/KO Low profile. Space can be tough to figure out a low profile servo helps with that.
LIPO: SMC/Thunder Power 40c battery
- Higher C rating should give you a higher overall voltage across the race as there will be less of a drop.
Controller: Whatever feels good in your hand.
- You will probably want a 2.4 Ghz system D3Xr/4Pk/M11x are all good choices.