R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-05-2004, 09:53 AM   #1
Tech Addict
Default Racing on Carpet Oval with Touring Cars

We have a new small local carpet track near my house. Two nights a week they set it up as an oval. Since turn out is still small, the classes are determined mostly by what cars show up.

I own and XXX-S touring car and I am mainly focused on developing my skill on road courses. It would be fun to see if I could setup my touring car for oval also.

I am not expecting to be able to be real competitive with cars designed specificaly for oval tracks.

If any one has some advice on how to optimize a touring car for a smallish carpet oval I would appreciate it.

Should I be looking for 28mm/30mm tires? extra strong springs of outside wheel? Longer shocks and heavier shock oil on outside wheels? Battery on XXX-S is on the outside maybe try moving it from right side to left. I normally use a 21 tooth pinion with the stock spur(88t) for tight smallish road course, I am thinking I need a 26 or even 30 tooth pinion for oval.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

one big thing, well, a couple things. You want harder springs on the outside, so the car doesn't shift as much, and keeps as much of the inside tires planted. Softer springs will along you chassis to sway to the right, which will make it hard to drive. Here is a little setup thing:
hard right springs
heavy oil right side, i'd go with 60-70, maybe 50 if you want it twichy, and the corners are tight.
wide tires, if not, wider outside tires, a cool little thing, never tried it, but it works in sprint cars, lol.
battery as far inside as possible, even grind some of the tunnel, it's a big thing.
low D/R
basically, make you car very fast, and lower it, i also advise you to glue the outside edge of the tires, going fast, and turing sharp corners, could make it traction roll.
pro3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

or you could do what i ddi with my xxxs just run ur road setup, maby gear up to a 23, but anything over a 24 will fry your motor, dont even try it less you have $ to burn
Kave is offline   Reply With Quote