Search
Like Tree1Likes

foam tire prices, is this rape?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default tire prices....

Guys, let me tell you that I can say that we are in the same boat here at home. We see prices of 1/12 jacos at $24 for rears and $22 for fronts.....that's more than i have heard of anywhere. For nitro sedan foam it is anywhere from 16.99 to 19.99 a pair whether it is fast tires or ellegi. And to tell you the truth it doesn't seem to bother a few but many more people are buying their tires online. I don't know what else to say but the tire prices are ridiculous and I wish there was something that could be done......

Just thought I'd vent......
Old 02-06-2004, 07:08 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by J Smith
OMG that is so tight man. Is that 1/12 scale? Mind if I do that paint shceme on a Micro RS4 body?

Very nice cars.
no problem
Old 02-06-2004, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

you guys should consider yourselfs lucky, in Australia a set of rubbers with rims and inserts (sorex inserts and rubbers with yokomo rims to be exact) used to cost $70 Australian wich works at about $53 American (at the current exchange rate) and that is cheap for us, some shops will charge us this much just for the tires. it has caused alot of people to buy from overseas. foams are no different, with the exception of one shop, 2pairs of foams will set back about the same as the rubbers do. everything is exspensive over here.

somewhere the along the line we are getting raped really bad

i will be buying all my 1/12th and Touring car foams from overseas from now on.

here is another example, the losi importers want roughly $600 Australian for a XXX BK2, that is about $450 American....what a rip off.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

Always tought Aussies were a bit off

I think that having to pay a lot more at the LHS just to keep their track open is no sound strategie. Let the people who want to drive on the track pay for driving on the track, not for parts they need to drive in their garden or basement.
About 200 km from where i live there is an indoor track where they charge 10Euros, thats about 8$, to use their track. However, their shop is one of the cheapest sources for RC stuff for the entire area of Belgium, Holland and western Germany. Due to the fact that they are cheap with their parts and tires they move heaps of them wich in the end makes them earn more money then when they were to sell the stuff at a higher price. An added bonus is that loads of people come for the shop and stay to use the track all day.
This strategie makes us, the RC users, and the manufactures very happy. This is what this hobby is all about! Having fun at an accepteble cost.

my 2 cents
Old 02-06-2004, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

It's a very simple calculation for a hobby shop owner:

Either make $3-5 on a pair of tires many many times or loose most of the business to mail order and make 10-12 bucks on set of tires every once in a while.....

It's a well proven fact, that if you piss of your customers with ridiculous prices on consumables like tires, fuel, brushes, bodies, etc. they will most likely spend the big bucks for kits, engines, chargers, etc. online as well.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Tech Adept

Except that after you order from trinity you'll get an email that they are out of stock and backordered as is usually the case from Trinity instead of them telling you from the start they are out of stock.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally posted by sedanaddict
stephan,
you are right that is too much. my lhs doesn't mark up like that.
17.00 purples 18.00 plaids
Mike your spoiled. Great carpet track, the nicest gas track in the world, and the hobbyshop with the best prices on parts and tires I have seen anywhere. How's the foot?
Old 02-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

Default utopia

the foot is out of the cast i am ready to race and you are right about how lucky we are in southwest ohio. you need to worry about the wheel more than my foot!! lol. are you coming down this weekend???
Old 02-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Default utopia

the foot is out of the cast i am ready to race and you are right about how lucky we are in southwest ohio. you need to worry about the wheel more than my foot!! lol. are you coming down this weekend???
Old 02-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Tech Regular

i had no idea foams could be had for $10 a pair, now i'm pissed , this is BS, i been spending $18 per pair on TRC or Jacos, $22 for TM's. i've just ran foam for 2 years and the expense sucks. i could get rubber wheel, tires, + inserts for $25 for FOUR and they'd last 2 seasons on carpet. of course sorex's would be higher than that. a set of foams can be used up in a weekend. i race every other weekend and so far this season i've used 4 sets of foams, that's 8 pairs, $160 . and know since everyone thinks foams are "so hooked up" there are no rubber classes.

as for only 2 suppliers in the world, i don't buy that either. TRC, Jaco and TM foams are all different. so far i really like TM's, i think they use the same foam as BSR.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: utopia

Originally posted by sedanaddict
Won't be down this weekend. I will be down for at least sunday of the carpet challenge, maybe saturday. Holla!
Old 02-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Tech Adept

Default not just tires

I have experinced them same thing at our lhs trc foams are 30$/pair at a genorous exchange rate (1.35) that is 22 us eligies are also 30$ and they can be had for 8$ most any where on the net. but I have also ntoiced that its the big ticket items also eg. they sell an m8 limited for 550$ thats 407$us the exact same radio can be had on the net for 249$. but there is notihng you can do about it.

I am trying to offer battires at a half decent price (I am a delear for fukuyama) ever since I started this I cant go into my lhs without being threatened, my parts dont get ordered and the store tried to bad mouth Fukayama. I had even offerd to work out a deal with them. but now they are trying to buy fukayama battires dirrect, not to offer a good product to the racers, simply to run me out of buisness.

I know you should support your local lhs (I spent over 5000$ at the lhs last year) but there comes a point where people have to say they have had enough,and stop bending over.

If I see a newbie walk in to our track I try to make it over to talk to them and I always make shure to tell them to check out this site and the links that are on it.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Thumbs up

rave on tire thread.

more to come.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by disaster999
thanks god i live in hk! haha..i just go back every once in a while during breaks and friends and ppl tell me to bring back loads of tires! mostly to make profit outta them!

but since hk dont have grey rears for 12th, i just reuse the rims and order donuts! its still very expensive, but its worth it...college student gotta save every penny possible!
If my local distributor would have rememberd my 5 boxs of 40-30's he would have made more of a profit!

And... I guess Ill have to negotiate better terms with my supplier!
Old 02-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by seaball
rave on tire thread.

more to come.
Seaball, drop me an email at [email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.