R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Machine Wound VS Handwound Qs (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/3278-machine-wound-vs-handwound-qs.html)

Alvin 02-24-2002 06:52 AM

Machine Wound VS Handwound Qs

Hi all,
I currently run a Trinity Speedgem 14x2 (first generation) for mod. Would a hand wound 14x2 be about the same speed as a 13x2? If so, what is the advantage of buying a 14x2 hand wound, versus just buying a machine wound 13x2? Thanks.

Regards,
Alvin

dtm 02-24-2002 07:42 AM

Greater efficiency, more power, more revs!!! However, more cost too!!! Once you get into handwounds (good ones at least!)... you won't want to go back.... beware!!!!:D :D :D

Addict sa RC 02-24-2002 08:44 AM

I agree totally with dtm. But among those criteria that he mentioned, EFFICIENCY is the most noticeable. (And the cost too :D )

Jack Smash 02-24-2002 09:04 AM

Dont forget about reliability. Better epoxy on a hand wound means longer motor life.

blueboy 02-24-2002 09:45 AM

If a handwound 14x2 is as good as a machined 13x2 there is little point getting the more expensive handwound one, unless you are racing somewhere with motor turn limit, of say 10 or 12 turns. In that situation, the handwound would be like having a 1 turn advantage over evryone running machined motors

Alvin 02-24-2002 09:49 PM

Thanks for the responses dudes. I very much enjoy the torque provided by my 14x2, it has excellent acceleration however the top end down the straight is somewhat lacking (especially when you see how a P94 run down the straight :sneaky: ), so i'm hoping a hand wound can give the same or even more torque and yet improve top end speed?

acloco 02-24-2002 10:32 PM

In this case, the handwound versus machine wound....is not the problem....or the source of the difference.

The Ti, P94, D4, Orion Top, etc........ALL have better (stronger) magnets in the cans.

Now....the quality of a hand versus machine wound armature.....that is a completely different story on it's own.

Also must consider the type of armature - full stack, thin/thick web, etc, etc, etc.

Alvin 02-25-2002 04:35 AM

acloco,
could you please tell me more about the amature type? What's the differences between each of them? I'm looking for something more torque-y VS something with high RPMs. Tight tracks I race at :)

Maybe once I get my "high end" schulze esc back (burnt out after 3 weeks of running, and with a 27T Stocker, yes!) to replace my G12 (waterlogged, 0 punch oh yeah) perhaps my speedgem will perform better.

Thanks.

~Alvin

acloco 02-25-2002 07:07 PM

hehe....NOT avoiding the question.....but I could not possibly type that much in one sitting at the PC........WAAAAY to much info to give out in even a series of posts..........motor design, theory, DC permanent magnet motor theory, and, and, and, and...........

Want torque? Go with a 12x2, 13x2, 14x2 Associated Ti motor.....the best magnets on the market......bar none. Use Quasar (Reedy 729) brushes....excellent comm life.....and use some pretty stiff springs (Trinity purple, Orion White, etc)......and gear down a couple teeth.....lower the wind, the power band will be in a different place.