Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
HB cyclone TC VS. TRF416 >

HB cyclone TC VS. TRF416

HB cyclone TC VS. TRF416

Old 09-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Default HB cyclone TC VS. TRF416

Hello everyone,

I have only been into this hobby for 4 months and Im debating if i should get a Cyclone TC or a tamiya TRF 416. I currently run a tamiya ta05 version 2 but im hoping to upgrade to a more "race worthy" chassis. Ive computed the price of the hop-up options i will be getting and the price comes close to a new kit so i opted to get a new kit instead.

I would like to know the strengths and weaknesses of the 2 chassis.

Thanks alot, and please take note, im a noob when it comes to these things.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PAO_F
Hello everyone,

I have only been into this hobby for 4 months and Im debating if i should get a Cyclone TC or a tamiya TRF 416. I currently run a tamiya ta05 version 2 but im hoping to upgrade to a more "race worthy" chassis. Ive computed the price of the hop-up options i will be getting and the price comes close to a new kit so i opted to get a new kit instead.

I would like to know the strengths and weaknesses of the 2 chassis.

Thanks alot, and please take note, im a noob when it comes to these things.
PAO, simple, just two points for you to consider:

1) 416 introduced in end 2007/early 2008 brand new design
Cyclone TC is based on a design introduced in 2005?

2) 416 beat the Cyclone TC to become IFMAR ISTC World Champion Car

Although these two points are worth noting, the most important thing to ask is to know what are the majority of the guys running at your local club. If 416makes the bulk of the racers then just go for the 416 as you would need some help with the setup of the car.

Happy Racing.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

i have a 416we right now and its probably the best tourer i've driven. now some people bring up the fact of where to get parts and who else runs it and whether or not it won a championship, i had a cyclone and that is a great car too, regardless of anything most parts are going to be bought online anyway so i would say wait and get the new 416x its been updated and its awesome. as far as setup run it box stock with the kit setup and make small adjustments if you need it. remember you can get setup help here on rctech 24/7 and go to the 416 thread there are 2 of them: ask jilles and 416/416we both are good!
ps... let me know what you want to do with that ta05v.2 im looking for one for gt class at my local track. pm me.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mikecan8
PAO, simple, just two points for you to consider:

1) 416 introduced in end 2007/early 2008 brand new design
Cyclone TC is based on a design introduced in 2005?

2) 416 beat the Cyclone TC to become IFMAR ISTC World Champion Car

Although these two points are worth noting, the most important thing to ask is to know what are the majority of the guys running at your local club. If 416makes the bulk of the racers then just go for the 416 as you would need some help with the setup of the car.

Happy Racing.
Thanks for your opinion mike. but i already thought of the things u have mentioned. At my local race track, its a 50 - 50 thing between hb and tamiya. even the stores that sell parts are equaly set off. Theres a dedicated store for tamiya and a dedicated store for HB. as for the availability of parts, i may not be able to give you enough information on that because i only use a tamiya for now and the availability is rather fine.

what is the difference in handling between the 2 kits? and does the TRF shocks perform as good as the shocks of HB?

thanks a whole lot again
Old 09-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

hb and tamiya shocks are about the same just different shock guide at the bottom of the cylinder
Old 09-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Tamiya touring-car shocks are the best in the business. So-much that other companies are copying their design.

I had both cars and while both cars ran very well - I stayed with the 416 for a couple reasons.

1) Allows me to run the TCS series every year.
2) Great parts support locally
Old 09-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

i feel about the same duck, i ran a tc5, a cyclone even the so called luxury sedan xray and that 416 was so consistent it won me over big time. i plan on keeping it for as long as possible!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I know this won't be a popular answer, but if you're only 4 months in, I would keep your TA05 v2 and only upgrade the parts you absolutely need. If you're racing on asphalt, especially if there's not a lot of grip, the more expensive cars will require you to be a lot closer with your setup since the parts are more rigid, and will likely be less durable. The TA05 is a workhorse, and will serve you well as you continue to learn about setup and driving.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Talking Which TC kit.....

I've started with Tamiya kits in 02 with the TL01 chassis and ended up doing the same thing you were planning to do with your TA05. Spent a lot on options parts to make it race worthy but ended up getting the TB EVO when it was released and from that point, I just started to upgrade to the TRF kits. My last TRF kit that I still keep is the TRF415MSX MRE (the kit that won the IFMAR title that was held in Florida). I opted to not get the 416 when it was released and at that time I bought a K-nitro car and shortly after onroad racing in my area has died down big time and turned my interest in 1/8 nitro buggy. Since Tamiya had not released their 801x kit, I started out with a Losi 8b RTR. The feeling was not the same when I started playing with it. But now I went back with the TRF kits and have the 801x buggy.

What I'm trying to drive at is.....go with the brand that you are already familiar with since you did mention that parts and local set-up support are not an issue. Keep it ........ BLUE!!!!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Regular

First thing to bear in mind, both of these cars will have a new "version" out in the not too distant future..... I'm guessing before Xmas for both.

So you may well be able to pick up a good second hand version of either as that time draws nearer, which may be a good option for you if you've only had 4 months.

I faced a similar decision a few months back, and chose the 416. The quality of the parts is perhaps a fraction higher, the team support is great - you get Jilles Groskamp, the European Champion, posting on here with real help, plus I like that the car really just works whereever I've used it.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the input guys, they really helped.

forgive me if this is off topic but i checked the tamiya site and saw a TB evo IV at a rili rili low price.....Just how bad is the torque steering if i run it with a 13.5 BL motor?
Old 09-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Addict

Arrow

Thanks for the input guys, they really helped.

forgive me if this is off topic but i checked the tamiya site and saw a TB evo IV at a rili rili low price.....Just how bad is the torque steering if i run it with a 13.5 BL motor?
From what I read on the TB Evo threads (and I could be wrong also), the kit is best suited for that class/motor. Anything lower than that you're better off getting a belt driven kit. Also I'm not sure if majority of the parts for that kit is still in circulation.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JRRobiso
From what I read on the TB Evo threads (and I could be wrong also), the kit is best suited for that class/motor. Anything lower than that you're better off getting a belt driven kit. Also I'm not sure if majority of the parts for that kit is still in circulation.
Thanks JR but sorry again for being redundant abt this TBevoIV thing but will there be torque steering issues when i run the BL motor wd a FDR of 4.8 to 3.xx?
Old 09-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Addict

Arrow

Thanks JR but sorry again for being redundant abt this TBevoIV thing but will there be torque steering issues when i run the BL motor wd a FDR of 4.8 to 3.xx?
I won't be able to answer that for you since I only went up to the TB Evo II edition and then made the switch to the TRF belt drive line-up. You may want to ask that to the guys on the TB threads:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...b-03-a-80.html
Old 09-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigger Brother
First thing to bear in mind, both of these cars will have a new "version" out in the not too distant future..... I'm guessing before Xmas for both.
Have you seen indications that HB is close to releasing a new kit?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.