Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Old 09-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

One day you guys will only be allowed to race a ROAR handout ESC, Motor and Battery . I wonder how many will still race as they wouldn't be using their sponsor's products .
Old 09-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
This made me chuckle.

We don't believe the esc was cheating at all. However to "Joe Blow" just the sight of a 2s pack plugged in was enough to raise concern. It was an odd configuration indeed, compared to what the "norm" was at the time.

Worried!? LOL really? That's almost insulting, or better yet a compliment depending on how you look at it.

Kudos go to the CRC team for bringing the heat....

To all the Tekin users reading this thread, please enjoy your latest software update to get the "latest and greatest" speedo in the next few weeks(via software update)...................................For Free!
I love my Tekin.
Tekin is a great speedo were a lot of other speedo's can learn from.
And the free updates are great.
Each time as I get a new softwere version the speedo becomes even faster.
At my club it's the most used speedo and more and more are buying it because it's fast and reliable.
Can't wait for what's coming up next.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lutach
One day you guys will only be allowed to race a ROAR handout ESC, Motor and Battery . I wonder how many will still race as they wouldn't be using their sponsor's products .

Now that's a funny statement. Obviously you haven't been paying attention to the changes within ROAR. When the brushless motor rules and class rules were introduced in the '08 rule book ROAR eliminated handout motors for national events due to the higher cost compared to brushed handouts. As far as handout ESC's and batteries, not gona happen anytime soon with the current ROAR management, how would that be fair to ROAR's manufacturing affiliates, or the ROAR membership???? Who would pay for all those esc's, batteries and motors? General membership funds or race entries? You'd have to charge more than entries at the IIC to pay for all that stuff.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by schurcr
You'd have to charge more than entries at the IIC to pay for all that stuff.
Nice shot at the IIC there...but I can tell you that for the entry fee you get WELL MORE than what you get charged. Free food twice, free bodies, shirts, set of tires for rubber or WGT, plus all the other stuff...... A way better VALUE than the 80.00 for a ROAR Race and bowling trophy!

EA
Old 09-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Now that's a funny statement. Obviously you haven't been paying attention to the changes within ROAR. When the brushless motor rules and class rules were introduced in the '08 rule book ROAR eliminated handout motors for national events due to the higher cost compared to brushed handouts. As far as handout ESC's and batteries, not gona happen anytime soon with the current ROAR management, how would that be fair to ROAR's manufacturing affiliates, or the ROAR membership???? Who would pay for all those esc's, batteries and motors? General membership funds or race entries? You'd have to charge more than entries at the IIC to pay for all that stuff.
I don't think he meant to say that ROAR would go that direction but that some of the people griping on here would only be happy with a spec class (spec'ed out to use THEIR favorite equipment of course ) and the only way to enforce all of that would be handout everything. And who would actually want to run that?

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Nice shot at the IIC there...but I can tell you that for the entry fee you get WELL MORE than what you get charged. Free food twice, free bodies, shirts, set of tires for rubber or WGT, plus all the other stuff...... A way better VALUE than the 80.00 for a ROAR Race and bowling trophy!

EA
Ooh, a smackdown. Harsh but true
Old 09-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

So why not allow a 4 or 6 pole sensored motor. Why do they have to be Novak style sensored motors? So let me get this straight. If a ESC manufacturer wants to test a new ESC that's not on the market yet, would you allow their sponsored drivers to test it?
Old 09-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

EA
EA ..... in no way was my comment a "SHOT" at the IIC. It was merly a statement of fact. The US on road racers know that the IIC most likely has the highest entry fee of any US race, and it's for good reasons. It's Vegas and when you have the ability to book over 1000 room nites in less than one week with your event, hotels will give you a lot of consideration and a lot of perks, like free food twice. This wasn't a shot at the IIC EA. Not unlike your shot at ROAR
Old 09-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by lutach
So why not allow a 4 or 6 pole sensored motor. Why do they have to be Novak style sensored motors? So let me get this straight. If a ESC manufacturer wants to test a new ESC that's not on the market yet, would you allow their sponsored drivers to test it?
We do .... read the section 8.8 of the ROAR rule book. Sensored or sensorless motors may be used. We're only restricting wind types in spec motors.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

EA
Or not even to get a trophy if you dont finish top 5 in the A MAIN. Like the Carpet nats.

Even though you get a trophy or a plaque for finishing top 10 in a Glorified club race around my parts with a 30 dollar entry fee.

I thought that was by far the best Roar race I have ever attended but that was very odd.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Or not even to get a trophy if you dont finish top 5 in the A MAIN. Like the Carpet nats.

Even though you get a trophy or a plaque for finishing top 10 in a Glorified club race around my parts with a 30 dollar entry fee.

I thought that was by far the best Roar race I have ever attended but that was very odd.
Agreed...Race was fantastic by all involved.....But trophies down to 5th was pretty poor.

EA ..... in no way was my comment a "SHOT" at the IIC. It was merly a statement of fact. The US on road racers know that the IIC most likely has the highest entry fee of any US race, and it's for good reasons. It's Vegas and when you have the ability to book over 1000 room nites in less than one week with your event, hotels will give you a lot of consideration and a lot of perks, like free food twice. This wasn't a shot at the IIC EA. Not unlike your shot at ROAR
What I said was no more of a shot than what you said....If it wasnt a shot at the IIC then it should have been worded differently. And despite what you believe the hotels dont give anything for "free". All that "free" food for us is paid for by Scotty...Along with the free beer during one of those dinners! LOL

EA
Old 09-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Lord

And despite what you believe the hotels dont give anything for "free".
Not unless you start dropping a whole lot of entry fees on the tables, then you get all kinds of freebies.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Along with the free beer during one of those dinners! LOL

EA
I have to admit, I haven't seen a keg disappear that fast since my College days. LOL
Old 09-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Company Representative

he was joking! relax a bit, I gotta idea for you, spec the lap times. thats it fair at the bottom line! no one can do a lap time no faster than a guy next to him thats FAIR and every one go home happy! or stay home fair.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

We do .... read the section 8.8 of the ROAR rule book. Sensored or sensorless motors may be used. We're only restricting wind types in spec motors.
Please look again at section 8.8.2.4.2 and it says, "Only one piece, two pole Neodymium sintered, or Ferrite (Ceramic) magnetic rotors are permitted". So if I wanted to race a sensored based 4 or 6 pole 10th scale motor, I couldn't run it because by your rules only 2 pole rotors are mermitted.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

luntach, looking to update my video collection, are there any recent youtube videos that show the current equipment you are using. only one I can find shows a beat up TC with rcvr pack and a magum jr radio doing so not so fancy drifting in a parking lot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.