Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

34 pages in 3 days. Is that a record?

I was going to sit down and read every post, but forget that. I just skimmed through.

I don't know exactly what this new esc did, but if it put more than 4.2v to the motor, I gotta call that cheating. If it didn't, more power to them.

As far as making things fair, that is almost impossible. It is racing. But here is an idea.

Bracket racing. Put what ever you want in the car. Race TC against pan cars if you want, mod, F1, and mini. But what it comes down to is how fast you are.

You can do it by fastest lap or number of laps. Let all the guys who run 20 laps run together. If you do 21 laps, you're DQ'd. Or by fastest lap time. Let all the guys who run 20sec laps together. If you turn a 19.99 lap, you're DQd. Congrats on the fast lap, but you are out.

--pakk
Old 09-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Disgust

After sitting here reading 34 pages the only word I can use to describe the way I feel about RC in general is disgust. What on earth happened to this sport that I grew up and always loved so much.

When I was growing up this was all about innovating. Trying new things and bringing them to races was always a huge part of this hobby, it's what made it what it is today. I remember walking through the pits and seeing hand crafted cars and electronic devices one after another, almost too many unique and exciting things to count. Everyone has been so caught up in politics and internet banter that they completely overlook the fact that we are tumbling at break-neck speed down a very slippery slope. Everyone wants to win even if it means changing the rules to do so. This couldn't be further from where we started, and for that matter where we flourished.

I had a discussion with a local racer today about the rules for the upcoming Grand Slam series. There is confusion about who can run what if they finished 4th in what race. If you have won a ROAR event in stock you are banned from competing in stock for 5 years, but if you finish 2nd you are also banned form competing in stock at some non-ROAR events. Now you can't run that really cool part you made yourself because it's not "production" and everyone else can't have it. Hey you, over there, that software looks like it's too new!

What in hell are the organizers, the ROAR administration and all of you people in here whining trying to do to OUR COMMUNITY? Is this your idea of making things better and building our industry?

Way to rule-f**k the industry people, I couldn't be less interested in flying a team to any event right now. Disgusting.

Nick
Old 09-16-2009, 05:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I say we make a transition to a single class.
13.5 FTW!

Originally Posted by smyka
just incase here are some races i won

indoor champs twice
snowbirds 4 times
tqed two nats
and a ton of regional wins
Smyka you show off!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Kwik
After sitting here reading 34 pages the only word I can use to describe the way I feel about RC in general is disgust. What on earth happened to this sport that I grew up and always loved so much.

When I was growing up this was all about innovating. Trying new things and bringing them to races was always a huge part of this hobby, it's what made it what it is today. I remember walking through the pits and seeing hand crafted cars and electronic devices one after another, almost too many unique and exciting things to count. Everyone has been so caught up in politics and internet banter that they completely overlook the fact that we are tumbling at break-neck speed down a very slippery slope. Everyone wants to win even if it means changing the rules to do so. This couldn't be further from where we started, and for that matter where we flourished.

I had a discussion with a local racer today about the rules for the upcoming Grand Slam series. There is confusion about who can run what if they finished 4th in what race. If you have won a ROAR event in stock you are banned from competing in stock for 5 years, but if you finish 2nd you are also banned form competing in stock at some non-ROAR events. Now you can't run that really cool part you made yourself because it's not "production" and everyone else can't have it. Hey you, over there, that software looks like it's too new!

What in hell are the organizers, the ROAR administration and all of you people in here whining trying to do to OUR COMMUNITY? Is this your idea of making things better and building our industry?

Way to rule-f**k the industry people, I couldn't be less interested in flying a team to any event right now. Disgusting.

Nick
I am nominating this for post of the year.

And I'm also with Rick, I'll run mod.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
You keep a list of all the people youve hacked in those races too?

EA
OOH, smack down
Old 09-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd support an all 13.5 class. That would be cool. Everyone under one roof. And we (USA) would have an actual ordered ranking system of who is really the best. No more sandbagging arguments. Make the Amain, the Pro Amain, Expert Bmain, Sportsman Cmain, Amatuer Dmain, etc, etc. Something like that.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
I'd support an all 13.5 class. That would be cool. Everyone under one roof. And we (USA) would have an actual ordered ranking system of who is really the best. No more sandbagging arguments. Make the Amain, the Pro Amain, Expert Bmain, Sportsman Cmain, Amatuer Dmain, etc, etc. Something like that.
Great, but people would still bitch about esc's or batteries or tires or something.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Great, but people would still bitch about esc's or batteries or tires or something.
True, but there's gonna be that regardless of class or rules. This thread proves it, as well as many other threads and forums. It's the nature of racing/competition.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Scotty held the Stock Rubber Tire Nationals at Trackside last year. It was an all 13.5 race...here were the basic rules:

"All racers run 3 IFMAR format qualifiers, best 1 run counts. Top 32 qualifiers transfer to Expert Division, the rest will race in
the Open Division. Open Division racers will run 2 more IFMAR format qualifiers. A,B,C,D...style mains will be run based
on the best run out of all 5 qualifiers. Expert Division racers will run 6 rounds of heads up Reedy Race style races. Best 4
races count with throw-out rounds used for Tie Breaker. Heat winner receives 1 point, 2nd 2 points etc. The driver with the
lowest point total will be the Champion."

For the guys who drove in the race they said they enjoyed it.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:57 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally Posted by Team Kwik
It's the same thing that's happening to our country: If I am a lap slow, we need to penalize the fast guys until I am on their level.

I agree completely that there should be ONE CLASS where these type of rules apply, and that class is Amateur. If you want to race a truly STOCK class, race amateur. If you want to race anything else, as long as you are within the rules, you are on your own. If somebody brings a faster tire, ESC, battery, whatever, as long as it is within the spec, it's legal.

Sponsorship and being a professional driver means you get better stuff. That's just how it is. If you're fast enough to compete at the pro level except for your crappy equipment, then guess what? Someone WILL sponsor you (unless you're an asshat, in which case, tough luck).

Adding more rules like what we are talking about here just makes things more confusing and, in my opinion, more stupid.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smyka
just incase here are some races i won

indoor champs twice
snowbirds 4 times
tqed two nats
and a ton of regional wins
As someone who will readily admit to winning lots of races do you feel you or someone with your same level of accomplishments should be running stock?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

I thought that 17.5 was the new novice (amateur), 13.5 would be for guys like Smyka, Pete D, etc., and 10.5/ mod would be more for factory or guys that like that much power class?
E
Old 09-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Take the extra battery out of the CRC and it will not be as fast ...

It needs the extra power from a additional battery to provide that performance you claim is so innovative and legit...

You obviously know not enough about electricity to make that statement.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pakk
You can do it by fastest lap or number of laps. Let all the guys who run 20 laps run together. If you do 21 laps, you're DQ'd. Or by fastest lap time. Let all the guys who run 20sec laps together. If you turn a 19.99 lap, you're DQd. Congrats on the fast lap, but you are out.

--pakk
Total nonsense to me... if I understand well.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I don't know how else to explain it. It's called bracket racing. It is a lot more popular in drag racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.