R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tekin RS with Novak 13.5 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/326440-tekin-rs-novak-13-5-a.html)

t4tx 09-10-2009 01:21 PM

Tekin RS with Novak 13.5

I have a Novak GTB system with a 13.5 sensored motor, but I want to get a Tekin RS ESC and was wondering if the Novak motor will work with it. I'm very new to all this so this question may be stupid to some but how does the sensor plug fit... are they all a standard size?

Also, am I losing any functionality by not going with a matched system?

Finally, other than the limit, what are the differences between the RS and the RS Pro?

Thanks.

HarryLeach 09-10-2009 01:28 PM

First, yes it will work, and yes the sensor will plug in.

Second, you may lose some adjustibility depending on whether your novak 13.5 has any timing adjustment.

The RS Pro has a lower on-resistance, but for stock classes, the difference is so close the RS wouldn't hold you back any.

More questions already I see ;)

UltegraSTI 09-10-2009 01:31 PM

the RS is fine. i have RSs mated to ballistic 8.5 (2wd mod) and 17.5 (stock TC). have fun!

R

t4tx 09-10-2009 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by HarryLeach (Post 6326990)
First, yes it will work, and yes the sensor will plug in.

Second, you may lose some adjustibility depending on whether your novak 13.5 has any timing adjustment.

The RS Pro has a lower on-resistance, but for stock classes, the difference is so close the RS wouldn't hold you back any.

More questions already I see ;)

How do I know if my Novak motor has timing adjustment? I want to know if just swapping the GTB for the RS will get me any more drivability... like we talked about yesterday? :)

HarryLeach 09-10-2009 02:15 PM

Most motors that have timing adjustment will have some index marks on the end of the can, and when you loosen the screws on the sensor end of the can, you can rotate the sensor board about 20 degrees. Some of the Trinity motors have 3 index holes for timing adjustment. If you can't get any movement, and you don't see any marks laying out timing adjustment, you're fixed with whatever timing the motor was built with. You can still tune the RS to whatever you're running, you just have to be more conservative on how much ESC timing you run so you don't over-time the motor and jump phase.

Anyways, if you can adjust timing on your Novak, you'll want to rotate the sensor board clockwise [looking at the sensor end of the can] as far as you can to bring the timing on the motor to zero, and make your timing adjustments on the RS. :nod:

Grizzbob 09-10-2009 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by HarryLeach (Post 6327169)
Most motors that have timing adjustment will have some index marks on the end of the can, and when you loosen the screws on the sensor end of the can, you can rotate the sensor board about 20 degrees. Some of the Trinity motors have 3 index holes for timing adjustment. If you can't get any movement, and you don't see any marks laying out timing adjustment, you're fixed with whatever timing the motor was built with. You can still tune the RS to whatever you're running, you just have to be more conservative on how much ESC timing you run so you don't over-time the motor and jump phase.

Anyways, if you can adjust timing on your Novak, you'll want to rotate the sensor board clockwise [looking at the sensor end of the can] as far as you can to bring the timing on the motor to zero, and make your timing adjustments on the RS. :nod:

That being said, if you get an RS speed control, you'll GAIN more timing adjustment, not lose it. With the Hotwire interface, you can add more timing, & also use a Turbo function(it's essentially some additional timing that only kicks in after the car hits top end, not the most useful on small tracks, but with a long straightaway, it rocks, looks & sounds like it has a second gear). I just got one up & running a couple of weeks ago(have been a LONG time Novak guy, & I'll still run Novak motors), & I'm VERY impressed with it so far....:cool:

HarryLeach 09-10-2009 07:57 PM

The RS is a great ESC, no doubt, I love mine.

My comment was trying to point out that if your motor doesn't have timing adjustments, you're limited as to HOW MUCH ESC timing you can add. You still have loads more adjustments available with the RS than anything Orange currently has out, but I also prefer to be able to adjust absolutely everything, so a motor without timing adjustment is something I view as a downside. Not only that, I would have to think that any fixed timing on the motor is going to really limit your timing strategy on the ESC.

Like I said, I don't know if the 13.5 in question has that adjustment or not, I've only ever had one novak motor ever, and it was fixed timing. I know early on with my RS that changing my motor timing to zero and moving all timing adjustment into the ESC made a HUGE difference to driveability and motor temp, and I'm sure for my home track and driving style anything different would be an unhappy compromise.