Search
Like Tree1568Likes

Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
Back in the heyday of pro10, they ran some pretty hot motors (thirdplace, toadyy, MarkA and Boomer could tell stories of the days at SoCal and Revelation)
Yes we could...good times and good races!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Here's the original pro 10 thread.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/oval-lar...h-pan-car.html
Old 07-23-2014, 12:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've always loved the thought of owning a pan car with a crazy looking LMP body like the nitro 1/8ths.

I have a load of gear for 1/10th touring already. Should I find myself a 1/10th pan or go down the 1/12th route and have to buy new lipos and ESCs etc?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

Greetings WagwanBumba . It sounds as if you have options (touring cars to pan car-or jus' add another type of vehicle to your collection) i've been there ,too. I've had to re-learn how to drive a rear wheel drive pan car attempting to get rid of my bad habits of driving 4wd touring-stock. This is just my .02 worth on the topic. Anyways , goodluck.
And also, I'm glad the original Pro 10 thread itself gained a revival-"viva la pan car."

Last edited by oreo; 07-23-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: addt'l comment.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Oreo - I'm thinking just adding to my collection. I'm drifting at the moment so I'm pretty sure if I was to go back to 1/10 touring racing, I'd have to relearn a few things there. Collecting it is I think!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Tech Champion

Id love to see some guys come together and have a weekend of 10th scale pan racing: pro10, LM1, USLMP, WGT all in one weekend...that would be epic I think
Old 07-30-2014, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

A bunch of crazy people are really pumped up about the new Speedmerchant car coming out soon. Some of us have preorders pending. Some of us have everything ready to install on the chassis with an initial setup. Some of us have already painted a set of bodies. But, I incriminate myself.

That being said:

We race on medium to high grip Ozite indoor.

What is the expert opinion on servo size? I ordered a JR 3650 without thinking it might just be a little small for the demands.

What tires are working best? I've picked up BSRs and Exceeds to try. I really like the look of the Exceeds.

How stiff does a Pro10 car generally need to be sprung? I run a CRC for 13.5 1S WGT and 21.5 2S Lemans and am used to its characteristics.

We will be running the Pro10 Stock rules, but with only 235mm cars allowed. We don't want to interfere with the 21.5 class.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

I know, nitro, but still.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:17 PM

Hi John,

I run 235mm pan cars on large outdoor tracks, so I can't help you much with setup. However for servos, I know we use anything ranging from cheap standard servos to touring car servos to the stronger 12th scale servos.

For tires: I'm running BSR on asphalt to great satisfaction. I hear good things about the Exceeds as well. You'll probably be happy with either brand.

Good to see this class picking up in the States again!
Originally Posted by liljohn1064
A bunch of crazy people are really pumped up about the new Speedmerchant car coming out soon. Some of us have preorders pending. Some of us have everything ready to install on the chassis with an initial setup. Some of us have already painted a set of bodies. But, I incriminate myself.

That being said:

What is the expert opinion on servo size? I ordered a JR 3650 without thinking it might just be a little small for the demands.

What tires are working best? I've picked up BSRs and Exceeds to try. I really like the look of the Exceeds.

How stiff does a Pro10 car generally need to be sprung? I run a CRC for 13.5 1S WGT and 21.5 2S Lemans and am used to its characteristics.

We will be running the Pro10 Stock rules, but with only 235mm cars allowed. We don't want to interfere with the 21.5 class.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:07 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Pro ten Holland
Hi John,

I run 235mm pan cars on large outdoor tracks, so I can't help you much with setup. However for servos, I know we use anything ranging from cheap standard servos to touring car servos to the stronger 12th scale servos.

For tires: I'm running BSR on asphalt to great satisfaction. I hear good things about the Exceeds as well. You'll probably be happy with either brand.

Good to see this class picking up in the States again!
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm all set when the kit finally arrives.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064

That being said:

Use a low profile servo but not to fast or you will loose some steering.
Any desent brand will do

BSR and Xceed work great.
One thing tho, don't use Xceed front and BSR rear as then you tend to get oversteer if you use the same shore combo as you are used 2.
Let's say BSR double purple front and purple rear(front 40SH and rear 35SH).
This is the same as Xceed hard front and hard rear but if you use the Xceed front you get oversteer.
If you use the BSR front and the Xceed rear then it is ok.
Don't ask me how this can but it is going to happen.

I am running Asso blue on the side dampers and CRC green up front.
Centre i am using the greenish Asso spring.
This is for outdoors large asfalt tracks but run this on my Corally F1 indoor also with the exception of the centre spring.

Regards Roy
Old 07-31-2014, 08:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

@ Pro10noob, Could you expand on this Roy?
"Use a low profile servo but not to fast or you will loose some steering.
Any desent brand will do"
Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

@OrganicMechanic....I and some others found out that if you go to fast with the steering servo, you loose steering(car pushes alot) when entering the corner.
This to the fact that the level of grip from the tires is not enough to follow the servo/steering movement.
Turn speed a bit down or use a slower servo and the problem is gone.
If you go for a softer tire, then the steering is ok in the high speed corners but you have oversteer in the slower corners and a lot of tire wear.
same as with the faster steering servo.
Low profile for more room to move the other electronics to get better weight balance and brand i use are Futaba, Savox and are now gonna try a cheap servo from a Hong Kong based firm and see how that one will work
I am still running a T-bar car and love it as it is really dailed in at the moment but for next year it will be a whole other ball game with the car.
Can't tell details yet of the car but will be awesome.

Regards Roy
Old 07-31-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Thanks for the explanation Roy! I have a Savox 1257TG in my 200mm LM1 that I really like. I am putting that servo in my RC10L2 and picking up a low profile for my LM1. Let us know how the cheapo Hong Kong servo works out, and what brand/model it is.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
@OrganicMechanic....I and some others found out that if you go to fast with the steering servo, you loose steering(car pushes alot) when entering the corner.
This to the fact that the level of grip from the tires is not enough to follow the servo/steering movement.
Turn speed a bit down or use a slower servo and the problem is gone.
If you go for a softer tire, then the steering is ok in the high speed corners but you have oversteer in the slower corners and a lot of tire wear.
same as with the faster steering servo.
Low profile for more room to move the other electronics to get better weight balance and brand i use are Futaba, Savox and are now gonna try a cheap servo from a Hong Kong based firm and see how that one will work
I am still running a T-bar car and love it as it is really dailed in at the moment but for next year it will be a whole other ball game with the car.
Can't tell details yet of the car but will be awesome.

Regards Roy
Great feedback! I chose well then. The JR has excellent holding power and is used in Mod 12th.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.