R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-20-2012, 03:23 AM   #751
Tech Addict

Yeah, if I look at the forecast it isn't nice for tomorrow but fingers crossed. It would be nice to finally race... Nice one from Ben then, he does have potential to fast indeed but so does everybody else...

About the looks, that is something that is in my head. The car has to look good so when I am on the drivers stand and I know that is allright and I don't have to worry about it.

The car is ready for the race tomorrow, we'll see...

*** JK Model Racing ***
*** MIX-RC.DE TEAM ***
Joost K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #752
Tech Regular

I doing the sunny day dance for you guy`s i am in Groningen for the first 1/10 nitro Nk, so i will benifit also from the sun dance.

Good for Ben that he is enjoying the class. Wish you the best.
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #753
Tech Master

Hey JW thanks for the dance! It worked out perfectly. 90+ % chance of rain and dark clouds everywhere in the morning but all of a sudden it was sunny on both saterday and sunday. Must have been some freaky dance for sure
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #754
Tech Regular

Glad it worked out for you guy`s In groningen it was dry and wet with a wet final. I managed a rain car with a guess rain setup and was able to get second place in the wet. (i am supprised but very pleased on my first NK result) The weekend was just like old times, with all the guy`s.
Still its real difficult not to make a mistake though, and drive on the limit without getting on the grass

i`ll read it on the MACh site what the results were for the Pro 10. How did Ben do?
Saw you on the webcam on saturday Alex, but you were the only one with confidance on my sunny day dance
because it wasn`t real crowded.

Last edited by djiewie; 04-23-2012 at 07:27 AM.
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #755
Tech Addict

Not really crowded? We had 7 drivers at the start out of 9 on the list. One of them had himself double-booked and the other thought that it would rain. So we were pretty satisfied with this startfield.

Ben finished 4th saturday.

Alexander was one of the first to arrive at the track, maybe you were looking at that particular time but there were quit some racers later in the afternoon and throughout the evening.

*** JK Model Racing ***
*** MIX-RC.DE TEAM ***
Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #756
Tech Master

@JW Congratulations on your 2nd place.

On Heemstede traction was medium, specially in the evening when the temperatures went to 10 degrees C and the curbs got dampy it was a little tricky to drive as you had to stay of the curbs otherwise it would be risky to spin out. Even de TC's spun out sometimes.

Ben had some issues of spinning out and he had broken a steering block during the race(could have been the spinning out issue while driving with an almost broken steering block).

Joost had a problem in the first final where he was hit from behind and DNF. It looked like the pod was completely bend by the hit but lucky it was only some durt that got stuck between the t-bar and the chassis wich made it tweak to one side. Second final joost battled for the lead and got second place behind Niels. Overall Ben and Joost had the same points but joost had a better qualification that got him 3rd place and Ben 4th place.

I was qualified 2nd behind Niels. I got 2nd place in the first final. In the second final i got passed niels in the first round through the wide sweeper (canteen corner) as Niels got a little wide halfway through the corner i passed him underneath at full throttle and out on the straight with 95+km/h with Niels and the others behind me. That move is a once in a lifetime kind of manouvre

A round later while getting round a corner my backend got lose and on the grass doh! The train passed me and the marshals took their time to put me back and i lost 1,5 rounds. I had to battle 5 minutes to get through the field again for a 4th spot. Kees (that was on 3rd) made a mistake and went on the grass just before the last 2 or 3 rounds. I went into safe mode for 3rd place and overall 2nd place podium spot.

Kees, Haal and roy had a good battle as far as i could see while driving the race.

It was a nice first race. We could have driven with almost a full heat but the weather report was bad with 90% of rain so 7 drivers is still good. Even with the cold and somewhat lower traction we scored lots of 16's with a couple of 16,4's from different drivers. When traction is getting better i expect very low 16's or even high 15's and no more slippery curbs!

From top to bottem: roy, haal, niels, me, joost and kees. Ben called a delay as he had to fix something on his car so isn't in the picture

Old 04-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #757
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi guys, just curious, do you use brakes?
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #758
Tech Master

It depends on the track. On this track you have to use brakes as the straight ends into a very tight 180 degree turn. If you don't use brakes here you end up into the fence hard. (and yes it does happen sometimes when your backend steps out if traction is low) It is not possible to coast through the turn when someone is baring down on you as the speed difference goes from 60m/h to almost 0 on this track. On other turns i hardly use brakes if any.

On other tracks that have a bigger radius turn after the straight i just let go of the throttle and let the car coast through the turns at high speed.

first purple car is westy (kees), second orange car that passes him in the turn is me

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #759
Tech Addict

Normally only in very tight corners when we enter from high speeds. On the MACH track, when you come out of the canteen-corner onto the straightaway at speeds of 100+ km/hrs you have to brake otherwise you will have an encounter with the fence.

Last weekend most of us switched to using drag-brake because normal braking would cause the car to spinout. That worked very well for me, you could just turn in the car better while it lowered it's speed itself.
That was for me the reason why I could drive up to Niels and get very close to him. I even got passed him when he "gave away" his 1st spot because he thought that he was a full lap ahead of me. That wasn't true so I got into 1st place for a couple of rounds. Spun out again and got pushed in the grass by Halewijn. After that in the second final I could get back in 2nd place and finish 3rd overall beating Ben because of my qualification being better.

*** JK Model Racing ***
*** MIX-RC.DE TEAM ***
Old 04-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #760
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We have to
If not, and we let the car roll to the first corner after the straight we would have to get off the power half way on the straight.
Now we can stay on throttle 2/3 of the straight and then "slam" the brakes
For me it was my first race in Pro10 and my first at MACH again after almost 20 years not running that track
From what i have heard i did hit the 88KM/H speed while others where doing 95KM/H
It was fun but i need to get myself more familiar with these cars and the speed they prodeucing on those bigger tracks

regards Roy
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #761
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've done 110kph with an 1:8 IC into a sweeper and not hit the brakes.

Hit the fence though
Old 04-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #762
Tech Addict

1/8 IC cars have 4wd. Try the same thing at the same speed with an 1/8 IC car with 2wd and we'll see what happens then...

*** JK Model Racing ***
*** MIX-RC.DE TEAM ***
Old 04-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #763
Tech Master

joost, i think you misread the post, specially the "hit the fence though" part
Old 04-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #764
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
I've done 110kph with an 1:8 IC into a sweeper and not hit the brakes.

Hit the fence though
I've been able to run a 200mm Nitro TC in to a banked corner without lifting (Aldershot), but with a lighter and slower 13.5 EP TC I have to lift as there is not the weight to get the front end to find that initial bite needed on corner entry.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #765
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
joost, i think you misread the post, specially the "hit the fence though" part
Oh well, I never understood those IC things anyway. In my opinion they are only good for laying out a gripline on the track LOL

*** JK Model Racing ***
*** MIX-RC.DE TEAM ***