Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion

Like Tree1529Likes

Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion

Old 12-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rickybobbyxxx
Does anybody run this class around tampa,fl these things look wicked
I might be the only person in the state that runs one.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spence88mph
Do you guys put anything on the bottom of your chassis to protect them from scratches? I have an almost new RC10LS chassis and I want to keep it nice as they're not easy to come by!

There are acouple of companies that sell Chasis protector sheets, but you can goto a local dirt bike shop, and ask them for protective film. I'm not into dirt bikes, but I believe they use the clear plastic film to protect number plates, and the gas tanks on dirt bikes. Worth checking out.

Shawn
Old 12-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tallyrc
I might be the only person in the state that runs one.
I came along to one of the state races (adrenalin) with my Pro10 a little while back, went around there pretty well! Then I took it over to Kissemmee, and it went around there bloody brilliantly!!
Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Shawn68z
There are a couple of companies that sell Chasis protector sheets, but you can goto a local dirt bike shop, and ask them for protective film. I'm not into dirt bikes, but I believe they use the clear plastic film to protect number plates, and the gas tanks on dirt bikes. Worth checking out.

Shawn
Thanks a lot Shawn I'll check it out!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Do you guys put anything on the bottom of your chassis to protect them from scratches? I have an almost new RC10LS chassis and I want to keep it nice as they're not easy to come by!
Use a chassis protector sheet. Doesn't help with really big hits but stops all those little scratches from stones and such like.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTAX8&P=7
Old 12-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
What silicone did you use for that?
Silicone coated tyres came from 1/12th scale, we used to do it so we actually had some grip on the polished wood floors we raced on back in the late 70s. Any silicone mastic will do, just make sure it is silicone and not the modern acrylic ones. When you smell it it should smell strongly of vinegar.
You can use as soft a tyre as you want, they won't wear down and are protected from damage by the silicone.
You need a few things to prepare the tyres. A flat surface that you don't mind getting covered in silicone, I used to use a glass sheet. Some dish soap to stop them sticking to your surface, and something to act as an axle to help roll the wheels, I used a long screwdriver.

Do the tyres as pairs, helps to keep them even. Squirt a little dish soap onto your flat surface and squeeze some silicone onto each tyre. Now roll the tyres through the dish soap to spread the silicone around the tyres until it is even. Do the same for the other pair of tyres and put them aside to dry making sure the silicone isn't touching anything.

You now have silicone coated slicks, if you are racing in dusty conditions then adding some stipples to give a tread helps grip. To add stipples when the tyres are dry add some more silicone and roll the tyres together until the stipples are consistent around the surface. You can create different size spikes depending on how much silicone you add. These spikes won't last too long, when we raced 1/12th on wood floor we used a very fine spike which meant we used up one set of tyres per race, although we just had to create the spikes again for next weeks racing and tyres costs were zero.

You can see what siliconed tyres look like on my old 1/12th scale here. It shows bigger spikes on the rear with finer spikes on the front.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What silicone did you use for that?
Sorry for the long delay, I did not see your post; the above is correct, it needs to have that strong smell or it will peel right off.

We didn't have much set up like mentioned, I think we chucked them up in a drill and used a plastic putty knife/scraper and just put a smooth coat on them. As long as you had similar sized foams the silicon seemed to even itself out if you didn’t use too much (you can always re-apply or peel off and start anew) I’ll take a pic as well next time I see them. I don’t know why it’s not used more often for outdoor racing to save some money $$$ We never grooved our tires but can see the benefits.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Tech Master

2wdrive, is your top pod plate an off the shelf item or did you have it made? I would really like to buy one! I really dig your car, I stare at this picture a lot for ideas!
That topplate is an aftermarket part from PRC. PRC doesn't make parts anymore though. It is a simple but yet very functional. That picture you showed is from 2010. Since then i changed a little here and there http://www.rctech.net/forum/9807611-post352.html
Old 12-29-2011, 12:59 AM
Tech Master

@terry and nrtv20

Thanks for the explanation and the picture. Are you using the silicone in tubes that you can buy in a DIY store? The transparant ones to seal all kinds of cracks and stuff with? A tube that you need to place inside a pistol like holder and squeze the suff out? Or is it another kind of silicone?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:40 AM
Tech Master

@terry and nrtv20

Thanks for the explanation and the picture. Are you using the silicone in tubes that you can buy in a DIY store? The transparant ones to seal all kinds of cracks and stuff with? A tube that you need to place inside a pistol like holder and squeze the suff out? Or is it another kind of silicone?
Yes, that's the stuff. Choose the clear stuff as there's no colourants in it.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

2wdrive:

The stuff we used was in tubes and did not require a dispenser. I’m sorry for not giving you the brand, I just don’t remember; it was like 15 years ago. I have some old beat up and dried out tires; when I get some time I’ll try to silicone up a set.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Tech Addict

What dia and width is the front and rear tires usually?

And what is the wheelbase on the scimtiar pro and normal Pro 10 car.

Making a Pro 10 on the CAD.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by terry.sc
Silicone coated tyres came from 1/12th scale, we used to do it so we actually had some grip on the polished wood floors we raced on back in the late 70s. Any silicone mastic will do, just make sure it is silicone and not the modern acrylic ones. When you smell it it should smell strongly of vinegar.
You can use as soft a tyre as you want, they won't wear down and are protected from damage by the silicone.
You need a few things to prepare the tyres. A flat surface that you don't mind getting covered in silicone, I used to use a glass sheet. Some dish soap to stop them sticking to your surface, and something to act as an axle to help roll the wheels, I used a long screwdriver.

Do the tyres as pairs, helps to keep them even. Squirt a little dish soap onto your flat surface and squeeze some silicone onto each tyre. Now roll the tyres through the dish soap to spread the silicone around the tyres until it is even. Do the same for the other pair of tyres and put them aside to dry making sure the silicone isn't touching anything.

You now have silicone coated slicks, if you are racing in dusty conditions then adding some stipples to give a tread helps grip. To add stipples when the tyres are dry add some more silicone and roll the tyres together until the stipples are consistent around the surface. You can create different size spikes depending on how much silicone you add. These spikes won't last too long, when we raced 1/12th on wood floor we used a very fine spike which meant we used up one set of tyres per race, although we just had to create the spikes again for next weeks racing and tyres costs were zero.

You can see what siliconed tyres look like on my old 1/12th scale here. It shows bigger spikes on the rear with finer spikes on the front.
Hi mate, Jonty and Fred Hatfield explained (in great depth!) to me how they used to prep their silicone tyres, sounded like a lot of fun back in those days!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Initiate

That topplate is an aftermarket part from PRC. PRC doesn't make parts anymore though. It is a simple but yet very functional. That picture you showed is from 2010. Since then i changed a little here and there http://www.rctech.net/forum/9807611-post352.html
Thanks 2wdrive, I sent them an email seeing if they have any left, otherwise I can draw one up and get it cut I guess, what are the side shock tubes? I haven't seen them, it would be nice to get rid of the friction plates and post. Sorry for copying your car so much! I was going to do the RC10L2.5 side shocks but getting the top and bottom RC10L3 plates is pretty hard and I don't really like all the axel spacing.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingman2
I came along to one of the state races (adrenalin) with my Pro10 a little while back, went around there pretty well! Then I took it over to Kissemmee, and it went around there bloody brilliantly!!
i was at the race at adrenaline when you ran your car.. i even asked you about it.. what motor you have in it that day? i almost always have mine with me..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.