Like Tree1568Likes

Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
Thanks Phil

To explain that picture... that was the pro10 class during our national race today.

Too bad my brushed esc was short circuit due to water that got inside the balloon. I only needed 1 lap to finish third place total....... my esc fried during the 2 practise laps just before the start... DOH!
pick up a LRP qc2, waterproof son! lol
Old 08-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

This thread is so full win I almost can't handle it...
Old 08-29-2011, 12:18 PM

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
Thanks for the picture Phil!

I am so happy I have a dedicated rain car
Old 08-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Mathijs it look more like a speed boat
Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 PM

Yeah, it almost made sense to turn the body up-side-down to create some lift
Old 08-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pro ten Holland
Thanks for the picture Phil!

I am so happy I have a dedicated rain car
Hi,
interested, we run when the rain starts.... and that is a bad thing as it usually rains alot during our very short summer..

could you give us all a good explanation as to how you have protected your electronics and what wheels and stuff you use for a rain-race?
Thanks!
/Johnny, Ostersund Sweden
Old 08-30-2011, 02:23 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Mathijs
do you have a picture from your rain car? It´s always interesting seeing the different solutions.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by V12
Mathijs
do you have a picture from your rain car? It´s always interesting seeing the different solutions.
Here you go
Attached Thumbnails Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion-dsc_0001.jpg   Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion-dsc_0002.jpg  
Old 08-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default real men

Wow. You guys in europe must be hard core. Nobody here in the States would ever consider running RC on-road cars in the rain. Impressive.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

Here you go
Nice,

Thanks for showing.
Now all I have to do is figure out how to do this with mine, as my ESC has a fan....

/Johnny
Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 PM

Some important notes to my rain car:
- Motor runs sensorless. Sensors + water =
- Motor is otherwise unprotected (no need).
- Receiver and ESC are mounted on 4 layers of servo tape. It allows some water to enter the box before I get into troubles.
- The box is sealed with duckt tape and filles with either paper towels or water absorption bags you find in the packaging of most electrical apparatas you buy.
- Rollout is to the moon (>57mm) because of sensorless mode. In really heavy rain I have to gear down because of the added drag.
- Ride height is around 7-8mm. I found out I will need even more in monsoon conditions.
- Diff is tightened to the point of almost completely locked. Water lets you diff slip really easily.
- Servo is an old Futaba 9650 with its seems sealed with tape and thick grease on the shaft.
- After running my car, I put a drop of oil on each bearing and spin it to avoid rust. The rest I dry of as good as possible. Expect to change diff balls often as they rust easily.
- Chassis setup is almost irrelevant in the rain. Just make sure everything is straight. Finetuning you can forget. It is all grandma-style driving in the rain.

My car survived 10 minutes of monsoon conditions last weekend with only a couple of drops of water in the electronics box. I was quite impressed!

It is not so much a matter of being hardcore, it is more a matter of wanting to have fun racing even when it rains. And it rains often here.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

The bearings of my front wheels were all gone bad after the try out last sunday. There was no movement in them what so ever. I gues waiting till the next day to clean or oil them is a sure way to let them rust.

Movies say more then pictures. Mathijs in the rain with his Corally 10X NG during our rained out clubrace 3 weeks or so ago.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:06 AM
Tech Regular

- Receiver and ESC are mounted on 4 layers of servo tape. It allows some water to enter the box before I get into troubles.
- The box is sealed with duckt tape and filles with either paper towels or water absorption bags you find in the packaging of most electrical apparatas you buy.
- Rollout is to the moon (>57mm) because of sensorless mode. In really heavy rain I have to gear down because of the added drag.
- Ride height is around 7-8mm. I found out I will need even more in monsoon conditions.
- Diff is tightened to the point of almost completely locked. Water lets you diff slip really easily.
- Servo is an old Futaba 9650 with its seems sealed with tape and thick grease on the shaft.
- After running my car, I put a drop of oil on each bearing and spin it to avoid rust. The rest I dry of as good as possible. Expect to change diff balls often as they rust easily.
- Chassis setup is almost irrelevant in the rain. Just make sure everything is straight. Finetuning you can forget. It is all grandma-style driving in the rain.

My car survived 10 minutes of monsoon conditions last weekend with only a couple of drops of water in the electronics box. I was quite impressed!

It is not so much a matter of being hardcore, it is more a matter of wanting to have fun racing even when it rains. And it rains often here.
Many thanks!
lots of good advice, now I know more on rain proofing cars.
looks like a special rain-car is a good chooice!
We have similar conditions here lots of rain in a normal summer.

now, were do I find a used pro10 car?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:25 AM
Tech Regular

Default rain car

What sort of tyre are you using in the video?
I take it they are not foam....
Old 08-31-2011, 02:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

He's using tamiya caps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.