R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #1576
Tech Master
 
TOADYY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,178
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TOADYY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
Back in the heyday of pro10, they ran some pretty hot motors (thirdplace, toadyy, MarkA and Boomer could tell stories of the days at SoCal and Revelation)
Yes we could...good times and good races!
__________________
Pro 10 / 10th scale pan GTP: Speed Merchant Road Kill 10 (one of the first 10 produced)
12th Scale: Speed Merchant Rev 8 PRO x2 and Yokomo YRX12

"Pro 10, the only way to fly around the track!"
TOADYY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #1577
Tech Master
 
TOADYY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,178
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TOADYY
Default

Here's the original pro 10 thread.

1/10th pan car
__________________
Pro 10 / 10th scale pan GTP: Speed Merchant Road Kill 10 (one of the first 10 produced)
12th Scale: Speed Merchant Rev 8 PRO x2 and Yokomo YRX12

"Pro 10, the only way to fly around the track!"
TOADYY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:56 AM   #1578
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 470
Default

I've always loved the thought of owning a pan car with a crazy looking LMP body like the nitro 1/8ths.

I have a load of gear for 1/10th touring already. Should I find myself a 1/10th pan or go down the 1/12th route and have to buy new lipos and ESCs etc?
WagwanBumba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #1579
Tech Regular
 
oreo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 269
Default

Greetings WagwanBumba . It sounds as if you have options (touring cars to pan car-or jus' add another type of vehicle to your collection) i've been there ,too. I've had to re-learn how to drive a rear wheel drive pan car attempting to get rid of my bad habits of driving 4wd touring-stock. This is just my .02 worth on the topic. Anyways , goodluck.
And also, I'm glad the original Pro 10 thread itself gained a revival-"viva la pan car."
__________________
Rc 10L (x6)
(.......in 2010, I jus' may get to run one.)-Irrgang Racing Service;TeamCRP. R.I.P. Billy 105

Last edited by oreo; 07-23-2014 at 10:35 AM. Reason: addt'l comment.
oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #1580
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 470
Default

Hey Oreo - I'm thinking just adding to my collection. I'm drifting at the moment so I'm pretty sure if I was to go back to 1/10 touring racing, I'd have to relearn a few things there. Collecting it is I think!
WagwanBumba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #1581
Tech Elite
 
trackdesigner71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lynchburg/Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 4,978
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71
Default

Id love to see some guys come together and have a weekend of 10th scale pan racing: pro10, LM1, USLMP, WGT all in one weekend...that would be epic I think
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #1582
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,278
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

A bunch of crazy people are really pumped up about the new Speedmerchant car coming out soon. Some of us have preorders pending. Some of us have everything ready to install on the chassis with an initial setup. Some of us have already painted a set of bodies. But, I incriminate myself.

That being said:

We race on medium to high grip Ozite indoor.

What is the expert opinion on servo size? I ordered a JR 3650 without thinking it might just be a little small for the demands.

What tires are working best? I've picked up BSRs and Exceeds to try. I really like the look of the Exceeds.

How stiff does a Pro10 car generally need to be sprung? I run a CRC for 13.5 1S WGT and 21.5 2S Lemans and am used to its characteristics.

We will be running the Pro10 Stock rules, but with only 235mm cars allowed. We don't want to interfere with the 21.5 class.
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #1583
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,278
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default



I know, nitro, but still.
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:17 PM   #1584
Moderator
 
Pro ten Holland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Druten/Holland (Europe)
Posts: 1,658
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hi John,

I run 235mm pan cars on large outdoor tracks, so I can't help you much with setup. However for servos, I know we use anything ranging from cheap standard servos to touring car servos to the stronger 12th scale servos.

For tires: I'm running BSR on asphalt to great satisfaction. I hear good things about the Exceeds as well. You'll probably be happy with either brand.

Good to see this class picking up in the States again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
A bunch of crazy people are really pumped up about the new Speedmerchant car coming out soon. Some of us have preorders pending. Some of us have everything ready to install on the chassis with an initial setup. Some of us have already painted a set of bodies. But, I incriminate myself.

That being said:

We race on medium to high grip Ozite indoor.

What is the expert opinion on servo size? I ordered a JR 3650 without thinking it might just be a little small for the demands.

What tires are working best? I've picked up BSRs and Exceeds to try. I really like the look of the Exceeds.

How stiff does a Pro10 car generally need to be sprung? I run a CRC for 13.5 1S WGT and 21.5 2S Lemans and am used to its characteristics.

We will be running the Pro10 Stock rules, but with only 235mm cars allowed. We don't want to interfere with the 21.5 class.
__________________
http://www.rc-lemans.de/
Pro ten Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #1585
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,278
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro ten Holland View Post
Hi John,

I run 235mm pan cars on large outdoor tracks, so I can't help you much with setup. However for servos, I know we use anything ranging from cheap standard servos to touring car servos to the stronger 12th scale servos.

For tires: I'm running BSR on asphalt to great satisfaction. I hear good things about the Exceeds as well. You'll probably be happy with either brand.

Good to see this class picking up in the States again!
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm all set when the kit finally arrives.
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #1586
Tech Elite
 
Pro10noob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,076
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
A bunch of crazy people are really pumped up about the new Speedmerchant car coming out soon. Some of us have preorders pending. Some of us have everything ready to install on the chassis with an initial setup. Some of us have already painted a set of bodies. But, I incriminate myself.

That being said:

We race on medium to high grip Ozite indoor.

What is the expert opinion on servo size? I ordered a JR 3650 without thinking it might just be a little small for the demands.

Use a low profile servo but not to fast or you will loose some steering.
Any desent brand will do


What tires are working best? I've picked up BSRs and Exceeds to try. I really like the look of the Exceeds.

BSR and Xceed work great.
One thing tho, don't use Xceed front and BSR rear as then you tend to get oversteer if you use the same shore combo as you are used 2.
Let's say BSR double purple front and purple rear(front 40SH and rear 35SH).
This is the same as Xceed hard front and hard rear but if you use the Xceed front you get oversteer.
If you use the BSR front and the Xceed rear then it is ok.
Don't ask me how this can but it is going to happen.


How stiff does a Pro10 car generally need to be sprung? I run a CRC for 13.5 1S WGT and 21.5 2S Lemans and am used to its characteristics.

I am running Asso blue on the side dampers and CRC green up front.
Centre i am using the greenish Asso spring.
This is for outdoors large asfalt tracks but run this on my Corally F1 indoor also with the exception of the centre spring.


We will be running the Pro10 Stock rules, but with only 235mm cars allowed. We don't want to interfere with the 21.5 class.
Regards Roy
__________________
l===/o\===l
[_]-###-[_] V-link proto type Pro10,JKMR P235-SE Pro10
P235-VL Pro10 comming soon
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #1587
Tech Fanatic
 
OrganicMechanic's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mt. Morris, WI.
Posts: 769
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

@ Pro10noob, Could you expand on this Roy?
"Use a low profile servo but not to fast or you will loose some steering.
Any desent brand will do"
__________________
GT12- Schumacher Supastox GT
MARCCA Member
OrganicMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #1588
Tech Elite
 
Pro10noob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,076
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

@OrganicMechanic....I and some others found out that if you go to fast with the steering servo, you loose steering(car pushes alot) when entering the corner.
This to the fact that the level of grip from the tires is not enough to follow the servo/steering movement.
Turn speed a bit down or use a slower servo and the problem is gone.
If you go for a softer tire, then the steering is ok in the high speed corners but you have oversteer in the slower corners and a lot of tire wear.
same as with the faster steering servo.
Low profile for more room to move the other electronics to get better weight balance and brand i use are Futaba, Savox and are now gonna try a cheap servo from a Hong Kong based firm and see how that one will work
I am still running a T-bar car and love it as it is really dailed in at the moment but for next year it will be a whole other ball game with the car.
Can't tell details yet of the car but will be awesome.

Regards Roy
__________________
l===/o\===l
[_]-###-[_] V-link proto type Pro10,JKMR P235-SE Pro10
P235-VL Pro10 comming soon
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:09 AM   #1589
Tech Fanatic
 
OrganicMechanic's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mt. Morris, WI.
Posts: 769
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the explanation Roy! I have a Savox 1257TG in my 200mm LM1 that I really like. I am putting that servo in my RC10L2 and picking up a low profile for my LM1. Let us know how the cheapo Hong Kong servo works out, and what brand/model it is.
__________________
GT12- Schumacher Supastox GT
MARCCA Member
OrganicMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #1590
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,278
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post
@OrganicMechanic....I and some others found out that if you go to fast with the steering servo, you loose steering(car pushes alot) when entering the corner.
This to the fact that the level of grip from the tires is not enough to follow the servo/steering movement.
Turn speed a bit down or use a slower servo and the problem is gone.
If you go for a softer tire, then the steering is ok in the high speed corners but you have oversteer in the slower corners and a lot of tire wear.
same as with the faster steering servo.
Low profile for more room to move the other electronics to get better weight balance and brand i use are Futaba, Savox and are now gonna try a cheap servo from a Hong Kong based firm and see how that one will work
I am still running a T-bar car and love it as it is really dailed in at the moment but for next year it will be a whole other ball game with the car.
Can't tell details yet of the car but will be awesome.

Regards Roy
Great feedback! I chose well then. The JR has excellent holding power and is used in Mod 12th.
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:59 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0