Wiki Posts
Search

Converting a Drifter to a Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Default Converting a Drifter to a Touring Car

Hello,

I've been looking to get my first on road electric car. I'm really looking for a basher with some speed. I seem to be drawn to the car below becuase I love its look.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ne-D-Spec-Blue

My questions are:

1. Are drifters slower than touring cars?
2. Is it easy to convert a drifter to a touring car? Is it just a matter of changing the tires or is it more complicated?
3. I'm trying to get an idea of how fast this car is? Looking for something around 50pmh.....Would I need to get my own electronics and different motor to achive this or do you think the current setup could do it?

Any help or comments is appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Dorion
Old 09-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

If your willing to pay 210 for that one , i would pay 310 for this one if your looking for a basher, it will hit 50 mph out of the box and all you would have to do is buy a skyline body for it, its a better car, and parts will be eisier to come by then the thunder tiger
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ustang-GT-Body
1) its already a TC
2) its already brushless
3) if you go with LiPo it will exceed 50mph
Old 09-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dorion
1. Are drifters slower than touring cars?
2. Is it easy to convert a drifter to a touring car? Is it just a matter of changing the tires or is it more complicated?
3. I'm trying to get an idea of how fast this car is? Looking for something around 50pmh.....Would I need to get my own electronics and different motor to achive this or do you think the current setup could do it?
1. It depends on what motor and battery you have. Lower winds and more voltage = faster
2. A drifter is a touring car with usually harder compound tires for sliding/ drifting. Maybe slightly harder springs on the shocks too for quick reaction/ handling.
3. These cars should be plenty fast to start off with. 50mph maybe too fast until you get the hang of controlling it. Remember you want a drift car, that will be sliding and skating on the edge of traction. It's going to be harder to control with hard tires that don't provide as much grip as racing tires will on a touring car.

The car you have a link to is a relatively new car to the market. I don't recomend it. Because it is new, it maybe difficult to get parts. Thunder Tiger hasn't really made many touring cars so I don't know how long that will last. My suggestion would be this instead:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...RX-7-FD3S-Body
It is based on the Cyclone line of touring cars. The same touring car that Andy Moore uses. The Cyclone has been around a little while, so getting parts for it will be easier. Also, if you want to upgrade it with hop ups I think that most of the Cyclone parts will fit.
If you are going for a particular look you can always switch the body and rims and tires to get the look your after. If your after more speed you can always upgrade the motor or battery.
One of the most important things to consider is how easily will it be to get parts for it now and in the future. That's why I recomended the Cyclone drift car. I am not partial to Hot Bodies in any way, but I've seen their touring cars perform well and I'm sure their drift car will too.
Check with your local hobby store also, they will be able to help you. And you will be able to see what they stock, so that you're not waiting for parts. Good luck in making your selection and have fun!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think Thunder Tiger makes an ok product for bashing around. The motor is sporty but its not going to blow your mind compared to some other offerings. I dont know where you can get parts for it. I personally wouldnt do that even if I did want to drift and eventually race. You can go with a Sprint 2 flux and its going to be fast and you will be able to get parts for it. Plus you can ad the shell and wheels to make it look like anything you want.

You could go for a Cyclone S and it will be a decent starter car for racing. You could drift with it too. If you add the right wheels and tires.

If its the lights that you like look at the Losi Drift-R. It has a lexus shell and drift tires and lights and underneath gasp a competitive chassis. Plus it comes with a decent radio.

Tamiya has several cars that come with lights and everything you need to drift. They would be better offerings as well.

Im also in agreement with the other two post before mine. I really think the Cyclone Drifter will be a good car for comparable money.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

one thing i would say no to the OP's original decision of a car is its a shfat driven. those are "better" for drifting but don't really see them in the "racing world".

also with the facts that everyone else said.

the tamiya TA-05 is a good chassis, belt driven. is competitive. has a cheap price tag at first and parts are normally available for it. i raced it and it kept up, though it was more price effective for me to buy a used racing chassis than to upgrade the ta-05 to a graphite chassis and such.

the flux system in the hpi sprint 2 is good. very fast. i used it in my ta-05 when i took it from my firestorm. IMO the sprint 2 is your best bet. hpi is very durable.