Wiki Posts
Search

front wheel/steering traction

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Tech Regular

Default front wheel/steering traction

hey there
i am having trouble getting my bd4 to hold traction mid-exit cornering.it starts to turn then seems to sledge.i had a tinker with the rear diff tightness thinking it might have to much drive from the rear.that didnt change anything apart from a slipping diff. i am running sorex rubber tires,a ball diff in the front and rear and 40 weight shock oil.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Check your steering knuckles and see if there is a #1 stamped on them. If so then the knuckle's kingpin screws have a 1 mm offset. Meaning that if you drew an imaginary line through the kingpin screws, it will not pass through the center of the knuckle(center of bearing). I think Yokomo uses this knuckle in their kits to keep the steering very tame for entry level drivers. Most other kit manufacuter run 0 offset knuckles. Try and run #0 steering knuckles. Steering should be very sharp and direct, not lazy. It took me forever to get steering when driving Yokomo chasis' in the past. Once the 0's knuckles were installed, there was so much steering, i then needed more rear bite. GL

Last edited by trigger; 09-07-2009 at 12:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-07-2009, 06:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is this an on throttle problem? If it is then you are transferring weight to the rear too quickly when you get on the throttle. Lots of different things to help correct this - springs, oil, droop, ect...
Old 09-08-2009, 01:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tiger72
Is this an on throttle problem? If it is then you are transferring weight to the rear too quickly when you get on the throttle. Lots of different things to help correct this - springs, oil, droop, ect...
yip,i brake/deaccerate for the turn.when i hit the loud button it pushes the front wheels and sledges.maybe some stiffer rear springs?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Stiffer rear springs and or oil. Could move weight around in the car itself. Check for even weight distribution all around. Don't forget to check your frt toe and camber settings to make sure their not working against you getting traction.