Wiki Posts
Search

Tuning rotors for brushless

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Questions?? Tuning rotors for brushless

Hey I was just wondering what happens when you put a larger diameter rotor in a LRP 13.5 stock spec motor. I mistakenly bought a 14.0mm rotor and I was curious to find out the effects of going from the 12.3mm to the larger one. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpeedySST
Hey I was just wondering what happens when you put a larger diameter rotor in a LRP 13.5 stock spec motor. I mistakenly bought a 14.0mm rotor and I was curious to find out the effects of going from the 12.3mm to the larger one. Thanks!
bigger rotor more torque less rpm, smaller rotor less torgue more rpm
Old 08-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Addict

more torque and it copes with heat better,

but you will be struggling to gear correctly with that size rotor i feel.

the bigger the rotor the lower fdr you will have to run.....

hth
luke
Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

I went from 12.5mm to 14mm in my 11.5T and fdr was 5.7 vs 4.5 now. Motor runs cooler, with good mid range power and similar top speeds. I like it but its illegal for race though.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyanyde
I went from 12.5mm to 14mm in my 11.5T and fdr was 5.7 vs 4.5 now. Motor runs cooler, with good mid range power and similar top speeds. I like it but its illegal for race though.
Is it? I would think so in something like VTA it wouldnt be a good choice because they use FDR restrictions and you would have to go below it to make good use of the big rotor. But illegal? or just where you race?

I guess a rotor like that would be good for Crawlers.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

If FDR is restricted, its even better to have a few different rotors that you can fine tune to the track you're racing on. Smaller rotors for top end, bigger rotors for good infield performance.

Here in Malaysia, we run only 11.5T motors and no modification to the motor is allowed for spec one make motor races.

I thought that 14mm was a little too big as well but for the heck of it I tried anyways and found that it worked great. However, you'll have to use one of those esc's that has high software timing too get back the top end.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyanyde
If FDR is restricted, its even better to have a few different rotors that you can fine tune to the track you're racing on. Smaller rotors for top end, bigger rotors for good infield performance.

Here in Malaysia, we run only 11.5T motors and no modification to the motor is allowed for spec one make motor races.

I thought that 14mm was a little too big as well but for the heck of it I tried anyways and found that it worked great. However, you'll have to use one of those esc's that has high software timing too get back the top end.
I dont know where my head was at. I cant imagine anything other than the rotor that comes with the Novak being legal in VTA.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

I'm sure it's legal, just not in the spirit of the class. When you start talking about rotors, and timing, you might as well put on a touring body.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
I'm sure it's legal, just not in the spirit of the class. When you start talking about rotors, and timing, you might as well put on a touring body.
+1 on that. Sometimes we forget to just have fun!