Search

Measuring Droop

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Measuring Droop

Ok my TC pros I have always measured droop with the Losi or Associated gauge. My friend measures his with uptravel over ride height for instance 2mm is what he uses (Using 6mm ride height). How do you guys do it and if you use the ride height version do me a favor if you have a gauge and measure it my way to see what it converts to. I did, want to see if I am right. By the way not a nube just never really did the ride height way thinking bout changing.

thanks Rod

Last edited by RKeasler; 08-30-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RKeasler
Ok my TC pros I have always measured droop with the Losi or Associated guage. My friend measures his with uptravel over ride height for instance 2mm is what he uses (Using 6mm ride height). How do you guys do it and if you use the ride height version do me a favor if you have a guage and measure it my way to see what it converts to. I did, want to see if I am right. By the way not a nube just never really did the ride height way thinking bout changing.

thanks Rod
Measuring droop by ride height is much easier when comparing car to car. If a droop gauge is used, where it measures from the bottom of the susp arms, may give different numbers due to the different design from one car manufacturer to another.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Check this out might help you out

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...p/Article.html
Old 08-30-2009, 05:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My opinion is using gauges is the most accurate way of setting the droop. But at the track when there is little time between rounds on a club night I will resort to the ride-height method if I want to make a quick adjustment.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Did the Dave Jun method and then measured with the gauge to see what the corresponding number was. Think I like his method for intial setup and then gauge after that. Juns method really forces you to square up your car.

Rod
Old 08-30-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

long time no see rod.. i've always just used the ride height method after teching everything else to ensure symetry side to side.. i also do it without wheels on the car as they tend to make the measurement less consistent..
Old 08-30-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Rod..

What I do and learned from Jason Schreffler works great. Set ride height first. Then take pointer finger and hold tire down on corner being checked while using middle fingure and thumb and raise chassie till it stops naturally. While at end of cars travel use other hand and slide RH gauge under checking RH/droop. My car I set to 6mm rear ride height and 9mm while lifting to check droop, giving me 3 mm droop over ride height. Same for front. When I do every so often check on droop/chassie blocks there usally dead on equal or very close.

Come see me Saturday I will show ya in person.....
Old 08-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tallyrc
long time no see rod.. i've always just used the ride height method after teching everything else to ensure symetry side to side.. i also do it without wheels on the car as they tend to make the measurement less consistent..
What's up man?! you are right long time, how's Florida?

Originally Posted by John Tag
Rod..

What I do and learned from Jason Schreffler works great. Set ride height first. Then take pointer finger and hold tire down on corner being checked while using middle fingure and thumb and raise chassie till it stops naturally. While at end of cars travel use other hand and slide RH gauge under checking RH/droop. My car I set to 6mm rear ride height and 9mm while lifting to check droop, giving me 3 mm droop over ride height. Same for front. When I do every so often check on droop/chassie blocks there usally dead on equal or very close.

Cool Tag, drove Brian Cards car (he uses ride height method) and he drove mine, trying some new stuff, my car had so much much steering it was scary, actually too much. It was hard for him to get used to. I think though I will be able to keep the car in the low 16s next week, taking some time to get the setup right with the new chassis. Car is really close
just a little too aggressive on old tires which won't be a problem next week. Droop is just one more tuning option I need to master, see you Saturday.
Rod
Old 08-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jkirkwood
My opinion is using gauges is the most accurate way of setting the droop. But at the track when there is little time between rounds on a club night I will resort to the ride-height method if I want to make a quick adjustment.
Its funny that I thought that was better... But I found that measuring droop from my setup wheels over ride height gave the car better tracking on and off power (all my alignment in setup is based on my droop).

It also helps compare car to car.

Each to his own as long as you can compare and adjust your car accurately then you are doing what you need.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Nice site mugen...I measure under the end of the arm...
Old 08-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trdsupra88
Nice site mugen...I measure under the end of the arm...
No prob boss
Old 08-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by John Tag
Rod..

Did it your way, pretty simple, going to measure with gauge to see what it lines up with on it.

Rod
Old 08-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

You measure droop with a ruler. How far up the chassis travels before the tires leave the ground. THAT is droop. What you are discussing, is the car's downstop setting, which is the difference in millimeteres between the bottom of the suspension arm, and the chassis. They are not the same thing.

Ride height = how far the chassis is off the ground
Downstops = distance from the chassis to the bottom of the suspension arm
Droop = how far the chassis lifts before the tires lift

Droop is a result of both ride height, and downstops.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
You measure droop with a ruler. How far up the chassis travels before the tires leave the ground. THAT is droop. What you are discussing, is the car's downstop setting, which is the difference in millimeteres between the bottom of the suspension arm, and the chassis. They are not the same thing.

Ride height = how far the chassis is off the ground
Downstops = distance from the chassis to the bottom of the suspension arm
Droop = how far the chassis lifts before the tires lift

Droop is a result of both ride height, and downstops.
Yes ,same as I do below..If I set my ride height to 6mm then droop screw to stop 3mm above ride height I get 9mm from chassie to ground. If I lift chassie 9.1mm I see daylight under tire. Downstops your speaking off are in compression. I have those on arms but never use those. I use DROOP screws for ajustment. I checK in upward chassie travel.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think the moral of the thread is as follows:

- If you need to compare one car to another, you should measure how much you can lift your car before the tires come off the ground.
- If you just need repeatable setting results for your own car, a gauge that measures up to the lowest point on your suspension will work just fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.