R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #1216
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1 View Post
What do you guys use to clean your tires between runs to keep the rubber from building up when running on carpet?
Full size car brake cleaner, but lighter fluid works well also (or just take a small amount of with a tyre truer!).

With regards to b'shell mounting, some of the b'shells leave very little room for 'tall' electronics so I draw a line under the original line around the bottom of the b'shell and cut it out there. I do like the Black At Bomb b'shell though as it has alot of space inside for any type of electronics, and looks cool also! Usually find my biggest tyres and add a couple of mm to them diameter for the wheels arches. Cheers.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #1217
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So, I'm new to 1/12. Got a CRC Gen XL. I already broke the rear top plate. I'm considering whether to go with the 4mm plate, or do the full box rear end. There's also the manutech brace. Anyone got any feedback on the effectiveness of these mods?

My car is ~10-12 grams light, so I'm not worried about the extra weight of the full box rear end. I'm 5 laps off pace, so I doubt the change in pod balance would make much difference, either.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #1218
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
So, I'm new to 1/12. Got a CRC Gen XL. I already broke the rear top plate. I'm considering whether to go with the 4mm plate, or do the full box rear end. There's also the manutech brace. Anyone got any feedback on the effectiveness of these mods?

My car is ~10-12 grams light, so I'm not worried about the extra weight of the full box rear end. I'm 5 laps off pace, so I doubt the change in pod balance would make much difference, either.

-Mike
Go with the full box. Check your motor plate to make sure it is still flat. Check your lower pod plate too. If you hit hard enough to break the top plate, the lower plate could be cracked near the forward drivers side screw hole.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Gravity R/C◢|◤HWNA◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #1219
Tech Elite

Thanks, Andrew.

What spurs work in this car? Is there any reason to go with a smaller or larger spur/pinion for the same rollout? It's got a 76 in it, but I think a 72 would give me a few more gearing options with the pinions I have.

-Mike
Old 12-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #1220
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:

-Mike
Mike,

The 4mm top plate can cover most impacts for 1/12th stock racing; while the newest versions of the full/partial box rear pods are more for mod motor classes OR for people that are not yet able to make clean runs (due to their own level of experience or sometimes the people they race with).

IMO the "partial" box rear pod consists of #3342 Gen X Left Bulkhead (a resurrected CRC part) and the #1763 Full Box Rear Top Plate (new part). I currently run it on my Xi and WGT LE cars.

The "full" box rear pod uses two #3340 Low Profile Motor Pods (right). These two plates can potentially be swapped with each other if you bend the right side unit.

Bill

Constantly evolving CRC Gen-X 10 SE/LE WGTs...Carpet and Asphalt...All thanks to Team CRC.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #1221
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
OR for people that are not yet able to make clean runs (due to their own level of experience or sometimes the people they race with).

But it's just so hard to resist pushing the car.

-Mike
Old 12-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #1222
Tech Champion

Quote:

But it's just so hard to resist pushing the car.

-Mike
Agreed. And some tracks are not as friendly as others....

Constantly evolving CRC Gen-X 10 SE/LE WGTs...Carpet and Asphalt...All thanks to Team CRC.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #1223
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Smile

Ive been away from 12th scale for couple of years, just finishing my XL that Ive had since last march. Finally going to have some time to "PLAY". Iv'e read all "82" pages of the Xl thread. Talk about information overload. My Xi kit is on the way. Now on to reading Xi thread, first chance to run it on the 30th. Yawn!!!!
THEBIGBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:09 AM   #1224
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anyone make 'upgraded' rear ride height spacers for this car?

I have broken two of them in three weeks by sliding sideays into the boards.

One of my fellow racers has some red ones that are made of a different material, but they were given to him, and he has no idea who makes them or where to get them.

Thanks
ebruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #1225
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Hello all.

Bought an XL to run on a huge asphalt track this summer. I will be running 17.5 blinky. My questions are:

When running the CRC pro-cut tires what rollout should I be trying to hit?

Anyone have pics of their setup running a Novak esc? I spoke to Charlie at Novak and he suggested a GTB2 with receiver pack. Using a Novak anyone have any thing else to add?

Anyone have a good starting point running magenta frt and rear?

Thanks for the help!
Ray Kindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #1226
Tech Apprentice

Cool

Built a gen XL this weekend and looking for setup tips. Im running a crc bomb r am body jaco black fronts and crc yellow rears. I haven't gotten the running gear just yet but looking at lrp for the esc and orion for the motor.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #1227
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscale View Post
Built a gen XL this weekend and looking for setup tips. Im running a crc bomb r am body jaco black fronts and crc yellow rears. I haven't gotten the running gear just yet but looking at lrp for the esc and orion for the motor.
I would suggest a CRC copper center spring, blue or white side springs with a touch of preload, CRC 1/2 mm front springs (the stock ones) 30k weight side damper fluid and a glazing of 30k on the front kingpin. Also, my car likes a little droop in the front pins, about a half millimeter when sitting flat, which seems to make the car more predictable. Also, run the rear track as narrow as you can make it with your shims, just wide enought that the left rear tire wont rub the bottom pod plate.

Also, try to run your gears as big as you can, so that your motor is as far forward in the pod as you can get it. This makes the car feel more settled when i did it (I ran an 88-45 gearing in 13.5 blinky) but depending on your motor you may have to chamfer the forward motor mount screw tab.

What i will suggest does not guarantee victory, its just what i run.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #1228
Tech Addict

Looking to buy an XL if anyone has one they want to get rid of
Sean B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #1229
NDZ
Tech Initiate

Hi guys,

My CRC 235 conversion.
I will be racing it in 10.5 2S Boosted class in Holland.
It's 3 mm carbon and a 3 mm alu motorpod.

Cheers

NDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #1230
Tech Apprentice

What's the difference between the full boxed rear vs. the stock Gen-XL pod?
bosschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links