Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Team CRC Gen-XL

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

The little experience I had with CRC grey fronts (two sets) led me to feel they were a little more aggressive than a Jaco XXPink.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 171 (100%+)
Default CRC GEN X

need some help about the new encore shock VS Vcs are the spring the same for both. Looking at nexus racing on CRC Gen X parts they show springs for the VCS(4) and they show (2) sliver and super sliver.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GeorgePravata
need some help about the new encore shock VS Vcs are the spring the same for both. Looking at nexus racing on CRC Gen X parts they show springs for the VCS(4) and they show (2) sliver and super sliver.
Springs are the same (rate and size) as the Associated VCS springs, but I haven't used anything stiffer than the red center spring. I've used the blue, gold, and red VCS springs with the Encore shock based on prevailing track conditions, but some tracks might warrant use of the silver or super silver center shock spring.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tweak Plate Assembly

Hi all

Just got the Gen-XL and got to the Tweak Plate assembly and need some help.

Its pretty straightforward on the installing the tweak screws. Question is after I install the spring holder on the underside of the plate, how do I install the springs? It seems the diamter of the tapered side of the spring is smaller than the spring holder. do I simply force the spring onto the holder or is this incorrect?

Second Question is the Molded Center Pivot - When installed and checked for smotthness, I find the spot which gives me free movement allows slight movement of the pivot base. Is this correct? If I tighten the nuts 1/16th of a turn, the pod seems to bind at the center when rotating.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

What tire setup do yall run? and the little 2 springs in the backk what color do you guys use and what is the difference between these colors?

I run pink front
grey back

And red springs
Old 01-12-2010, 02:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Looking for some advice..

I am running this weekend in a big meeting, went out testing this evening on a track close to this weekend's race as in asphalt surface..

Normally race indoor where a gold spring and hard shock oil work perfect.

This evening my car donuts on just about every corner. Another driver there said my 45mm tyres and hard spring was one of the main reasons for this reaction.. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Also just a side question sorry if this has already been asked, someone said put a 2mm shim under the ballstud which the shock attaches too.. What effect does this have?

Thanks
Alex
Old 01-12-2010, 03:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Mugen10
The purple servo mounts look like the old HPI pro 4 servo mounts.
Thanks, but they are a bit different. The mounts in the picture are "L" shaped and have 3 holes for moving the servo forward and backward.

Here is a better picture, as the previous one was not too clear :P
http://www.kimihiko-yano.net/weblog/...0090819-06.jpg

I have seen them in red too, but I cannot find a shop that carries them or the name of the brand.

-Edit: I think I found it. It seems they are re-anodized 12R5 servo mounts.

Last edited by Ahmed Aman; 01-12-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Me_MrTyson
Looking for some advice..

I am running this weekend in a big meeting, went out testing this evening on a track close to this weekend's race as in asphalt surface..

Normally race indoor where a gold spring and hard shock oil work perfect.

This evening my car donuts on just about every corner. Another driver there said my 45mm tyres and hard spring was one of the main reasons for this reaction.. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Also just a side question sorry if this has already been asked, someone said put a 2mm shim under the ballstud which the shock attaches too.. What effect does this have?

Thanks
Alex
You Got PM
Old 01-12-2010, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rinkrat99
Hi all

Just got the Gen-XL and got to the Tweak Plate assembly and need some help.

Its pretty straightforward on the installing the tweak screws. Question is after I install the spring holder on the underside of the plate, how do I install the springs? It seems the diamter of the tapered side of the spring is smaller than the spring holder. do I simply force the spring onto the holder or is this incorrect?

Second Question is the Molded Center Pivot - When installed and checked for smotthness, I find the spot which gives me free movement allows slight movement of the pivot base. Is this correct? If I tighten the nuts 1/16th of a turn, the pod seems to bind at the center when rotating.

Thanks
Thread the center springs onto the holders by twisting the spring clockwise while applying light pressure.

Check the 2-56 buttonhead screws and make sure that they're not too tight. The pivot base shouldn't move when moving the pod side to side. You might want to revisit the instructions to make sure you get this adjustment right, otherwise the car will handle inconsistently.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Clairvoyant16
What tire setup do yall run? and the little 2 springs in the backk what color do you guys use and what is the difference between these colors?

I run pink front
grey back

And red springs
Most setups call for white side springs, although I've used red springs for some tracks. Red is firmer than white, blue is softer than white. Green and purple are firmer than red, with purple being the firmer of the two; to summarize, softest to firmest is blue, white, red, green, and purple.

Tire choice really depends on track conditions, but a good rule of thumb is to use a rear tire that is 5-8 shore points softer than the front. Using Jaco's shore chart, gray rear tires typically pair well with purple or black fronts, and pink rears work well with double pink or lilac front tires.

If you're using CRC tires, it's tough to beat yellow rears and magenta fronts...
Old 01-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
Most setups call for white side springs, although I've used red springs for some tracks. Red is firmer than white, blue is softer than white. Green and purple are firmer than red, with purple being the firmer of the two; to summarize, softest to firmest is blue, white, red, green, and purple.

Tire choice really depends on track conditions, but a good rule of thumb is to use a rear tire that is 5-8 shore points softer than the front. Using Jaco's shore chart, gray rear tires typically pair well with purple or black fronts, and pink rears work well with double pink or lilac front tires.

If you're using CRC tires, it's tough to beat yellow rears and magenta fronts...
Just so I know for the future, when do you use the Red side springs? I race on a tight track once and a while. Should I use them in this case? Also what tires would you use for high grip superstock? Thanks a lot!!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by WIITA
Just so I know for the future, when do you use the Red side springs? I race on a tight track once and a while. Should I use them in this case? Also what tires would you use for high grip superstock? Thanks a lot!!
Red side springs work well for tight tracks with lots of 180 degree turns, and for those days where you don't have enough front grip. I use the Associated 12R5 front end on my car, so my tire choices might be a little different than what you'd want; however, when I used the pro-strut front end, I typically ran Jaco pink rears and lilac fronts. If the grip REALLY comes up during the race, I'd switch to gray rears combined with either purple or black fronts. CRC yellow rear tires work well, but have a tendency to chunk - CRC gray-lows prevent this problem, but tend to lose grip at the 6-7 minute mark.

Hope that helps...
Old 01-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

Need some help with the Damper tube set screws. The 2-56 set screw appears to have no allen key socket. The key provided does not fit or is too small. Any idea what size this should be or is this a common problem?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rinkrat99
Need some help with the Damper tube set screws. The 2-56 set screw appears to have no allen key socket. The key provided does not fit or is too small. Any idea what size this should be or is this a common problem?
i had the same problem too...i think the allen key that's 'supposed' to work is indeed too small, either that or just very weak metal and stripped right away...I didn't have anything else in my collection of allen wrenches that would have works, so i just grabbed the set screw with my pliers and twisted it in that way
Old 01-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Tech Regular

My allen key measures 0.032" so this might be the issue. Gonna have to find a 0.035" key somewhere. Maybe I can build up the side wall of the key or build up a wall on the setscrew.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.