Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Newbie Question, do I want a foam or rubber car? >

Newbie Question, do I want a foam or rubber car?

Newbie Question, do I want a foam or rubber car?

Old 10-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Newbie Question, do I want a foam or rubber car?

So, I've been running offroad 1/8 during the summer, now that winter is here, I've been looking for an onroad electric to run on the local indoor carpet track. I am thinking about getting a TC, right now either an Xray or a TC5.

My big debating point at this point is whether to get rubber or foam setup. While I will be running on carpet during the winter, during the summer I want to run the car on a large asphalt track as well. At this point, I don't want to spend the money on two cars.

So based on the fact that I'm a beginner to the onroad scene, would it really make that big of a deal if I were to buy, for example, a TC5R and put foam on for the carpet and then go back to rubber for the outdoor? Or visa versa? Or should I look at picking up something like a T2R or regular TC5 that is just an overall TC and not really surface specific?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The major question is, do they run foams at your track? Not all carpet tracks run foam.

If you want a TC5. Check this out:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...is-spares.html

The T2R is also a very nice car as well, but the FRP chassis might not be stiff enough for carpet racing.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, local track runs foam. That's already been confirmed.

Your question leads me to another question: Would I be better off just buying a rubber car and just sticking with rubber if it's better on asphalt and some (most?) carpet tracks don't allow foam?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kuruption
Yes, local track runs foam. That's already been confirmed.

Your question leads me to another question: Would I be better off just buying a rubber car and just sticking with rubber if it's better on asphalt and some (most?) carpet tracks don't allow foam?
That seems like the crux of the whole situation. Only you can really decide that. Here is what I've always heard. A foam specific car on asphalt will suffer because the chassis is too stiff making for an ill handling car. On the other hand a rubber specific car on carpet with foams will also have issues because the chassis flex makes for a ill tempered car. Now take all of that with a grain of salt as I've never raced foams on carpet, so I have no real frame of reference for it.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MonkeyFist
That seems like the crux of the whole situation. Only you can really decide that. Here is what I've always heard. A foam specific car on asphalt will suffer because the chassis is too stiff making for an ill handling car. On the other hand a rubber specific car on carpet with foams will also have issues because the chassis flex makes for a ill tempered car. Now take all of that with a grain of salt as I've never raced foams on carpet, so I have no real frame of reference for it.
Right, I guess I didn't phrase the question right.... it should have been: Should I just stick with rubber on both asphalt and carpet (forget about foam altogether) and change out my tires/springs accordingly?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Right, I guess I didn't phrase the question right.... it should have been: Should I just stick with rubber on both asphalt and carpet (forget about foam altogether) and change out my tires/springs accordingly?
If you race rubber vs other cars running foams you will be at a big traction disadvantage. Now if you are running in a class that is all rubber tires then, yes I'd get a rubber spec car. As when you switch to asphalt you'll be in much better shape.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

I don't expect to be competitive against most of the other guys... Just to have fun and get used to the car, really. Maybe rubber spec is the way to go as it seems to be more universally acceptable.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Regular

I don't expect to be competitive against most of the other guys... Just to have fun and get used to the car, really. Maybe rubber spec is the way to go as it seems to be more universally acceptable.
Well. I have my TC5R for sale. I like the car, but bills are forcing me to sell it off.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

choose rubber. foam is a PITA and a bad driving school IMO
Old 10-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Foam for the carpet and rubber for the asphalt thats all.i think the tc3 is a better car,its a record breaker and has sum of the fastest acceleration
Old 10-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MonkeyFist
Well. I have my TC5R for sale. I like the car, but bills are forcing me to sell it off.
Thanks for pointing it out... I missed that one in my endless searching. It's a cool setup with the mods, but it's more than I wanted to spend on a roller right now, unfortunately.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

If money gets too tight I may have to sell off some of the package contents.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

With what you'll be using it for I would recommend the "rubber" car.

It'll be easier to drive and more versatile than the "foam" car.

You can stiffen a rubber car enough to be able to run foam in a stock/spec class just fine. Then you can soften the car to run rubber outdoors better than a foam car would be able to.

I have an Xray T2R that I switch back and forth between foam and rubber. I use a CRC carbon top deck ($25) and the optional Xray posts to turn the car into a rock with foams; and use the stock deck for rubber.

I showed up set up for rubber this weekend but the rest of the racers wanted foams, all I had time and energy for was changing the ride height, droop, and rollout and went for it with foams and still had a sweet handling car.

In conclusion, get a more versatile, forgiving, adjustable "rubber" car.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Definitely get a "rubber spec" car. Run rubber tires on carpet, not foam (a little more challenging sometimes); then you'll be good to go for the asphalt with that car with some setup changes only (and driving style).

Also, do yourself a favor and get an Xray. It's more expensive, yes; but it's fit and finish along with ease of setup is definitely worth it.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I've decided on a rubber car.