Wiki Posts
Search

Personal Transponder issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Personal Transponder issues

Was wondering if anyone has had any issues with their PT. Here is a little background....earlier this year I setup my xray with a brand new KO servo, Quantum comp speedo and the novak synthesized receiver. Mounted the PT on the servo and went to the track. The car would constantly have problems missing laps. I moved the transponder all over the place with the same results. I finally put a Keyence speedo in the car (i dont remember if I changed the servo). I did not have the problem again. I recently decided to run the TC3...which had the Quantum installed......I mounted the KO servo and the PT and today I missed a lap in all 3 heats and the main. Today I moved the transponder from directly on top of the servo to haning it from a transponder mount off the servo to standing up in the side of the chassis. Has anyone heard of a conflict with any of these components. My race officials were nice enough to fix the heats but it was a little frustrating because it was the best I have ever run and it does not look like it.

Any ideas???
Old 01-25-2004, 08:57 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have never had problems with mine, the only difference between your setup and mine would be the Ko Servo.

I have used mine in several combo's:

HS-5925 Servo, LRP Quantum Comp. Speedo, & the Personal mounted in the servo.

HS-5925 Servo, Hot Bodies Twister Speedo (VFS2000), & the Personal mounted in the servo.

Airtronics digital, Quantum Comp, Personal mounted on the servo.

HS-5925 Servo, Novak TC2 speedo & the Personal mounted in the servo.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

It may be something wrong with your raceway as well. Are you the only person having the problem?

You might try to contact AMB and see if they can send you a new one if the problem continues.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Tech Adept

Default simple fixes

most of the time its the decoder boxes that might not be new enough we had to replace the box 4 times at our track
Old 01-26-2004, 05:24 AM
Tech Regular

we had this kind of problem at our track (carpet). the track owner called AMB.....and here is the fix.....
installing the loop wires upder the carpet.....and that's it....
the loop doesn't like the personal xponders to go below it........weird...
Old 01-26-2004, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Personal Transponder issues

Originally posted by Joneser
Was wondering if anyone has had any issues with their PT. Here is a little background....earlier this year I setup my xray with a brand new KO servo, Quantum comp speedo and the novak synthesized receiver. Mounted the PT on the servo and went to the track. The car would constantly have problems missing laps. I moved the transponder all over the place with the same results. I finally put a Keyence speedo in the car (i dont remember if I changed the servo). I did not have the problem again. I recently decided to run the TC3...which had the Quantum installed......I mounted the KO servo and the PT and today I missed a lap in all 3 heats and the main. Today I moved the transponder from directly on top of the servo to haning it from a transponder mount off the servo to standing up in the side of the chassis. Has anyone heard of a conflict with any of these components. My race officials were nice enough to fix the heats but it was a little frustrating because it was the best I have ever run and it does not look like it.

Any ideas???
Does it turns yellow? The last 10pcs we purchase for our track, 7 of the are bad (most of them lights yellow, some even in red)..
Old 01-26-2004, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
voltage

jones,

because it only occurs with one speedo and not the other, i am led to think that it may be a problem with the bec voltage that the esc is putting out. it is getting picked up 80+% of the time, so it is not a coding problem. it appears to be that the signal is not strong enough for the loop to pick up in some locations on the track.

if you get technical, the 6v bec output from the esc, is not always 6.0. lrp's is 5.8, my mtroniks (that went up in smoke) is only 5.6. i've not had any problems, but that could be it. if you get a chance, you could unplug the red wire of the transponder, and just alligator clip it to your +ive on your batt using a jumper wire or something. run it like that, and maybe the added 1.5v is all that it will take for a strong enough signal to be detected anywhere you cross.

before you do this, please verify that the unit will not be harmed. that the 7.2v is with in the operating voltage. i would suspect that it is.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:12 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

We have one local guy who has had several iussues with his PT...

He has sent it in several times...
They sent him a new one...

He still has issues every once in awhile.

What he did that seemed to help was add a CAP to the PT, like a studder stopper...

When it hits, he has good signal....

FYI: He is also using LRP ESC.....

All the ones I have seen that had issues used a LRP esc??????
Old 01-26-2004, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
voltage

jones,

because it only occurs with one speedo and not the other, i am led to think that it may be a problem with the bec voltage that the esc is putting out. it is getting picked up 80+% of the time, so it is not a coding problem. it appears to be that the signal is not strong enough for the loop to pick up in some locations on the track.

if you get technical, the 6v bec output from the esc, is not always 6.0. lrp's is 5.8, my mtroniks (that went up in smoke) is only 5.6. i've not had any problems, but that could be it. if you get a chance, you could unplug the red wire of the transponder, and just alligator clip it to your +ive on your batt using a jumper wire or something. run it like that, and maybe the added 1.5v is all that it will take for a strong enough signal to be detected anywhere you cross.

before you do this, please verify that the unit will not be harmed. that the 7.2v is with in the operating voltage. i would suspect that it is.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Joneser-I had the same problems today with my LRP Quantum-but in my case-it was the CASE. The case was coming unclipped I assume all day causing my glitching and also my missed laps. My car glitched on the straightaway mostly and thats when it crosses the loop.

Maybe we both have issues with our cars lacking voltage at high speed due to the Quantum or something Quantum related.

Ray
Old 01-26-2004, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

I know you probley know this but are you running 3 caps on the motor that 3rd fom + to - is there for amb systems

just a thought

Rob
Old 01-26-2004, 09:40 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Maybe the KO servo is one of those servos drawing high current out of the BEC. Maybe itīs the limit of the Quantumīs BEC and the personal Transponder donīt work when the BEC voltage goes down. A fix for this would be using an additional capacitator at the receiver. Iīm using a 220uF cap. Voltage isnīt very critical anything in the 10 to 25V range is OK. But if you have the chance getting a cap with a rated temperature range of up to 105° C instead of the ususal 85° C than get this one. Itīs working much better as these 105° are designed for higher currents.

As for wiring the cap the easiest way is using a very short servo wire.
If you ever have a close look at the receiver area of Masamiīs cars you will notice he also is using this trick sometimes.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: voltage

Originally posted by seaball
jones,

This is why
Old 01-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

what if he installed some of thoses small battts like the pros use for a recever pack
http://www.hobbytalk.com/images/articles/recbat05.jpg

rob
Old 01-26-2004, 12:34 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Originally posted by WVRACER
what if he installed some of thoses small battts like the pros use for a recever pack
http://www.hobbytalk.com/images/articles/recbat05.jpg

rob
Itīs easy to see if there are batteries or caps in use. If caps than itīs one piece in general if itīs batteries then itīs 4 or 5 of them.
I think Masami and other drivers are using batteries in their 1:12 cars but not in touringcars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.