Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
If you were to build an extremely fast car from scratch you would..... >

If you were to build an extremely fast car from scratch you would.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you were to build an extremely fast car from scratch you would.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Yes I did. That car is crazy fast. Did they ever say what type of electric motor was in it? I know full scale brushless motors are outrageously priced, but it makes you wonder what a 240v lipo pack with a brushless motor would do.

Hard case will definitely be a must for us at high speeds. One thing we will be testing is the power difference between homemade lipo packs and commercially avaible lipo packs.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Adept

You should think about LiFePo batteries (A123 for Example). The most real hybrid or Kers-cars use this cells.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Its definitely something we are going to look into. They will definitely be tested. And if they out perform or there is very little difference between them and the Lipos, they will be used.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Tech Adept

Since you're at KU, you really ought to get in touch with Castle Creations who are stationed nearby in Olathe. I'm sure they could give all sorts of pointers about going fast. Their gear has been in the cars getting the RC land speed records:

http://www.castlecreations.com/facto.../nic_case.html
Old 08-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Tech Rookie

I've already been in touch with a few people at Castle. They have been really helpful and have also offered us a discount. I will definitely be picking their brains more as time goes on.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by austinitsua
We are definitely still in the brainstorming part of all this. We actually have until May to have a running RC car. There is still a lot of theory work to be done before anything is purchased or developed.

As far as efficiency goes, I know Castle CLAIMS the Neu-Castle motors are around 85% efficient and some of this most efficient in the world. This is definitely worth testing (and will be tested as soon as the dyno is complete). What other brushless motors are known as being the most efficient?

Is a 6 cell lipo going to be more than enough for what we are going for? or should we look towards more? Say 10 cell?
Im not sure what type of esc you will be using but make sure its something that can handle that many cells. Curreltly the HV application that I am aware of can handle up to 6 cells.

Stick with only 1 motor, the dual motor set up adds weight, will be heaver and less efficent.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Rookie

I was leaning towards the Mamba Monster Combo with the Neu-Castle 2200 KV. Its capable of 6 Cell.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Rookie

As far as top speed is concerned, are we gonna be better off using a belt driven system as opposed to gear driven?
Old 08-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

We actually have a group that is going to attempt to power their RC car with a hydrogen fuel cell.
I am quite sure it has been done by Graupner, germany. I saw a picture of it from a Nuremberg toy fair several years ago. Perhaps your friends could get some advide from them, I don't know.

Your project sounds nice but what I don't understand is that you say " from scratch" then you say that you'll use a VW beetle. What are you going to keep ? to me if there's no mechanical constraint ( hopes that makes sense) then you're just trying to beat Mr Case's record.

A few pictures/drwaings would help a lot.

Last edited by heretic; 08-28-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by heretic
I am quite sure it has been done by Graupner, germany. I saw a picture of it from a Nuremberg toy fair several years ago. Perhaps your friends could get some advide from them, I don't know.

Your project sounds nice but what I don't understand is that you say " from scratch" then you say that you'll use a VW beetle. What are you going to keep ? to me if there's no mechanical constraint ( hopes that makes sense) then you're just trying to beat Mr Case's record.

A few pictures/drwaings would help a lot.
There are essentially two projects here. The full scale vehicle (1974 Super Beetle) and the 1/8th scale testing vehicles (RC cars). The purpose of the bettle is to achieve a 500 mpg hybrid. The purpose of the RC cars is to experiment with "hybrid" technology without spending a fortune.

For instance, I want to test the difference between types of batteries. If I were to do this on a full scale level, I would have approximately $5,000 in building a lead acid pack and say $50,000 in building a Lipo pack. Now on the RC level, this is gonna cost far less than $500.

The purpose of building for speed, is to essentially make an attempt at the most efficient vehicle possible. By doing this, we will be experimenting with technologies that directly carry over to our full scale project. Say the Lipo batteries in the above experiment do prove to be that much better. It is now much easier to justify this expense to donors, sponsors, advisory board, department, etc...

The 1/8th scale vehicle does not have to have any representation of a VW Bettle what so ever. It could be anything we please. The original concept was to build something similar to the 2010 Camaro and make aerodynamic changes to it. We have decided that the car just isn't that aerodynamic to begin with so we are going to start with a ZR1 Corvette body and mold it into something similar to the Fireblade concept. All the while reducing the coeff. of drag.

As far as from scratch is concerned we are going to design a SST (suspension, steering, and tires) system that gives us the least rolling resistance possible. We will then essentially model a chassis to fit this system. The chassis will then be tested for strength, deflection, weight, etc (in SolidWorks) and modifications will be made to achieve the lightest and strongest chassis possible.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

How about starting out with an Inferno GT, they have nice bodies in areo cars like the C6 and F430.

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/cars/in...part_num=31816
Old 08-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeXray
How about starting out with an Inferno GT, they have nice bodies in areo cars like the C6 and F430.

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/cars/in...part_num=31816
That is perfect. Looking at the chassis, suspension, and steering on that car there are a lot of places to start shedding weight. Do you know anywhere that sells just the body?? It would be so much easier if we had a 1/8th scale body to start working with as opposed to the 1/18th scale diecast we are currently considering.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Addict

If powerful motor is of importance i would recommend the corally motors.

simply because they are giving you all the info you need and they are to date the most powerful motors in 540 size i have found. it might be more powerful motors out there but the manufacturers don`t share the power output.

here is a link to my motor registry its in norwegian but the prefixes are in Metric so it should be understandable.(httpting forum.radiostyrt dot no/vb/showthread.php?t=40575) PM me if you are having trouble.

if power is main priority try rewire the wye wounded 3,5T motor to a delta to get even more power.

it already delivers 1400W at 7,2V so cooling is a issue with efficiency at ca 85%

try water cooling if straight line speed is a priority.

KERS idea: make the rotor so it can go in and out of the stator so when you brake the rotor in the dyno get gradualy pushed into the magnetic field and then giving a smooth braking and re use of kinetic energi.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That is perfect. Looking at the chassis, suspension, and steering on that car there are a lot of places to start shedding weight. Do you know anywhere that sells just the body?? It would be so much easier if we had a 1/8th scale body to start working with as opposed to the 1/18th scale diecast we are currently considering.
Have a look on tower and A main hobbies for inferno GT shells. There will probably be one that is close to your specification.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Tech Rookie

A Main had the shells. Thank you.

Can anyone point me to some general information on tires? More importantly, what are best for top speed, but I'd really like information about road tires in general.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.