R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-25-2009, 07:29 AM   #1
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Gear Ratio for Trinity Duo 2 10.5 ??

Does anyone know what is the recommended gear ratio for a Trinity Duo 2 10.5 Brushless Motor ??? Unlike other motors this motor doesn't give you a chart with the recomended gear ratios for diferente tracks, voltage and tires. I just got one yesterday and want to know what is a good ratio to start. I'll be using Lipo 7.4V and Rubber Tires. I'll appreciate all your help!

Juan C Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

over 5,2
Lagunikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the easiest way to answer this is if you ran the old duo 10.5 you need to drop about 6 teeth from what you ran on that motor. Id say start around a 6.5 and temp after a minute of running. If you are hot at all go down another couple teeth. Its hard to say an exact ratio without know specifics of your car and track. The motor is still new and we havent had a lot of on track testing with it yet. Trial and error is gonna be the best way to figure it out. Just avoid getting it hot while doing it. Fyi I am one of the guys that did all the dynoing of the duo 2 before they shipped.
thisguy2849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
Tech Master

IMO, FDR nowadays is not determined solely by motor type and track layouts. What ESC you run will make a difference too. SP1.1,2.0,SPX,SXX,TC,RSPro,Mamba,GM bla bla... just to name a few are geared with a difference of more than 1.0fdr from one another!!... Do yourself a favour and get a temp probe, if you don't already have one and gear according to your equipment. Start with a high FDR, like 6.5 and gear up 1 tooth at a time. Stay below 160F and you'll be ok.
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote