Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Best 13.5 match for Novak GTB Speed Control ? >

Best 13.5 match for Novak GTB Speed Control ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best 13.5 match for Novak GTB Speed Control ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Best 13.5 match for Novak GTB Speed Control ?

Guys,

I race right now 13.5 brushless class on 6 cells NiMH with a Novak GT Speed Control and 13.5 Novak Motor SS PRO.

I will not change my speed for now (i will go for Tekin or LRP for next season starting January 2010), so i need to know for now wich one you think its the best motor to match this speedo ?, its the Novak im using right now the best one ? (must be Roar legal),

thanks,

Pato Concha
Southamerica
Old 07-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Guys,

I race right now 13.5 brushless class on 6 cells NiMH with a Novak GT Speed Control and 13.5 Novak Motor SS PRO.

I will not change my speed for now (i will go for Tekin or LRP for next season starting January 2010), so i need to know for now wich one you think its the best motor to match this speedo ?, its the Novak im using right now the best one ? (must be Roar legal),

thanks,

Pato Concha
Southamerica
The DUO motors seem to be very effective with the Novak GTB or LRP Sphere speedo's. Put the DUO motor at 20-deg timing, and enjoy.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

wait for the new ballistic 13.5 motor from novak. i heard one of the people saying this week they are releasing the ss series. they should be good motors.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Guys,

thanks,

Pato Concha
Southamerica
The novak is a very good motor as it spools up well and has good top end and power!! it also runs very cool. the duo would be the only motor to consider as you can adjust the timing which is the only thing that a gtb lacks. they don't have a lot of top end they just punch. so you would have an advantage of timing the motor to get speed rather than gearing the motor up which you would have to do at the moment!!
Old 08-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

hey guys, how do you advance the timing on novak's ss pro series motors. I understand it can be done but can not find that post again anywhere. I remember it said you need to loosen the 3 hex screws on the timing ring and either rotate the ring all the way to the right or left to advance timing.

has anyone done this and knows how to do it correctly?

thanks.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default balistic

the new novak balistic will be your best choice...crank the tiing but watch the temp...you wont be disappointed
Old 08-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugler
hey guys, how do you advance the timing on novak's ss pro series motors. I understand it can be done but can not find that post again anywhere. I remember it said you need to loosen the 3 hex screws on the timing ring and either rotate the ring all the way to the right or left to advance timing.

thanks.
Here is the post from Steve about setting the timing on Novak SS Pro motors:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/3519141-post5020.html

PS: Try the Ballistic 13.5 -- you will LOVE it.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

thanks.
loosen the back 3 screws and twist the timing ring.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Company Representative

Default Ballistic Timing Technical Update (Steve Weiss)

Ballistic Motor Timing Information Update (Preliminary)

In an effort to answer a number of questions relating to motor timing we have compiled some information to help you better understand static motor timing and its effects with our Ballistic Series of motors.

“How many Degrees of Timing does my Ballistic Motor have?”

Our Ballistic motors come with their timing calibrated and set from the factory. Using custom built and calibrated electronic equipment we set each and every motor to 30 degrees of timing. After Calibration the timing label is added and this set timing corresponds to the “N” on the timing label on the side

Each line on the label denotes a 5 degree change, so the timing available on the motor the label corresponds as follows:

-3 -2 -1 N +1 +2 +3
15 20 25 30 35 40 45

N = 30 (rows do not line up correctly)

SPECIAL NOTE: The timing we are describing is the ACTUAL ELECTRICAL TIMING in the motor, not just some arbitrarily reference made from a point on the outside of the motor like many of our competitors' motors. This makes comparing timing settings between different brands of motors difficult without the proper equipment.

“What Does Timing Adjustment do?”

We set our timing at an optimized point for most general applications. Adjusting the timing should only be done in small increments and with great care to observe the changes in system performance and temperatures.

WE RECOMMEND THAT YOUR SYSTEM’S TEMPERATURE NEVER EXCEED 160 DEGREES FARENHEIGHT.

When adjusting the timing, we recommend adjusting the timing, at most, 1 notch, or 5 degrees at a time.

When you turn the timing up to a more positive number (from N to +1) your motor will produce more no-load RPM and generally suffer a slight reduction in torque. To combat excessive heating brought about the loss of torque we recommend gearing down 1 tooth on the pinion for each notch (5 degree increment).

When turning the timing down, to a more negative number (from N to -1) your motor will produce less no-load RPM and generally experience an increase in torque. To combat a loss of top end speed brought about by the loss of RPM we recommend gearing up 1 tooth on the pinion for each notch (5 degree increment).

Ballistic Timing Questions, Part 2

“How do I set my Ballistic to zero degrees of timing?”

The factory timing for the Ballistic is 30 degrees of timing and corresponds to the N on the timing label on the back of the motor.

We do not recommend running zero degrees of timing for most applications and would recommend running at least 5 degrees of timing to ensure proper operation of the motor.

NOTE: When running your timing lower than the pre-set factory 30 degrees your reversing function of your Novak ESC may not work properly as it accounts for this 30 degrees of timing in its commutation sequence.

To adjust the motor to this lower 5 degree timing setting:

1. Loosen the three 1.5 mm hex head screws on the back timing cap of the motor

2. Turn the end-cap clockwise until the stationary notch on the endbell lines up with the edge of the label as demonstrated in the picture below.

[Photos will appear on Novak web-site when we add this update]

3. Re-tighten the three 1.5 mm hex head screws in a circular pattern to ensure that they are all tightened evenly.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tfrahm
Here is the post from Steve about setting the timing on Novak SS Pro motors:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/3519141-post5020.html

PS: Try the Ballistic 13.5 -- you will LOVE it.

Hey thanks for the thread & post location.

So how is the ballistic motor better in performance besides the timing adjustments and the fact that is totally rebuildable? Is it also faster
Old 08-24-2009, 07:22 AM
Company Representative

Hey thanks for the thread & post location.

So how is the ballistic motor better in performance besides the timing adjustments and the fact that is totally rebuildable? Is it also faster
Because all spec motors are built to pretty tight specifications for ROAR approval, we are not claiming that our new Ballistics are faster than the Velocitis---regular and light---or the SS Pros.

Some customers are reporting a performance improvement. So we will monitor the responses to see what racers have to say. The Ballistic timing is much more adjustable, so that may be offering some advantage.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:43 AM
CL
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

NovakTwo,

How much timing do a standard 17.5 & 13.5 SS have? Are the rotors on the SS the same as the one on the Ballistic series?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by CL
NovakTwo,

How much timing do a standard 17.5 & 13.5 SS have? Are the rotors on the SS the same as the one on the Ballistic series?
According to Steve (Weiss), all of the Velociti, SS Pro and Ballistic motors are factory set to 30 degrees timing.

The Velociti/SS Pro rotors are the same as the Ballistic.