R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Someone convince me... Tekin or LRP (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/322233-someone-convince-me-tekin-lrp.html)

amnesia 08-24-2009 12:57 PM

Someone convince me... Tekin or LRP

I have come to the conclusion that my Speed Passion LPF speedo is faulty and rather than spend money sending it back to the distributor to be repaired (it's out of the 120 day warranty) I am going to buy a new ESC.

Now judging by the post counts the top choices seem to be the Tekin RS Pro or the LRP SPX stock spec.

I currently run 13.5t motors on an indoor carpet track, but will move up to 10.5 when I have the skills so the LRP SPX seems to fit my requirements what with it's stock specific profiles. However, I like fiddling with settings and stuff and the Tekin looks like it's got the SPX matched with recent software revisions. It will also match my Top Photon better :lol:

It doesn't look like I can go wrong with either of them...

So, who can convince me to spend my £200 ?

Cheers,
Daniel.

sidecarphil1 08-24-2009 01:03 PM

100% LRP SPX

no computer skills required to program and goes really well out the box

mikky32 will dispute this though :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

hound_dogs_01 08-24-2009 01:16 PM

KO PROPO!!!!!

Alex

mikky32 08-24-2009 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 (Post 6249643)
100% LRP SPX

no computer skills required to program and goes really well out the box

mikky32 will dispute this though :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

Hahahaha yes I will choose the Tekin.
The Tekin is also easy to setup and it's faster than the SPX:nod:
But the only plus for the SPX is, is that you don't need a pc to setup your speedo. It's also a minus because you can't update it.

robk 08-24-2009 01:26 PM

I own an SPX.

At the track however, the Tekin cars are sick. The last few software updates are making them really fast. Honestly, I would buy a Tekin.

pakk 08-24-2009 01:30 PM

i have a tekin, so i pick tekin. I'd like to try an spx though.

--pakk

Owen RaCing 08-24-2009 01:32 PM

Do you have a Laptop PC?
Do you care if it matches your photon?
What motor are you running?
What are driven more localy, LRP or Tekin?
Are you any more loyal to eather of them?

Im more Tekin loyal myself, since my first rc car 10 years ago had a Tekin in it. But I do run LRP, because I would never buy a Windows laptop :lol:

wingracer 08-24-2009 01:34 PM

You say you like fiddling with settings so it's Tekin all the way.

punkboy 08-24-2009 01:41 PM

Buy one Tekin RS and a hotwire and update the software when it's released. There is plenty of support available at most tracks as well as here and Tekin's website. Unless you fry one somehow, you should never have to buy another speed control.

JCarr 08-24-2009 01:42 PM

Get the Tekin and with all the FREE updates, you will never have to buy another esc.:nod::D

MikeXray 08-24-2009 01:54 PM

Speedpassion (usa at least) has excellent customer service, I would send it in and see what they say before buying something new.

miller tyme 08-24-2009 01:58 PM

Sphere, Sphere 07, Sphere TC, Sphere SPX -vs- RS

Add to that the smaller size, and personnally note my last Sphere came back from service work costing $65 and still had the same defect.

Even assuming the two are equal now, when one gets faster you'll either get a free download or buy another speedo.

HarryN 08-24-2009 01:58 PM

What to get: Tekin RS or RS Pro

Why: Randy Pike, easy to set, easy to update, easy to tune.

Cons: need a laptop.

BlackedOutREVO 08-24-2009 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Owen RaCing (Post 6249766)
But I do run LRP, because I would never buy a Windows laptop :lol:

I have the same issue. Hahahaha

LRP, its simple and works.

or8ital 08-24-2009 02:13 PM

My only gripe with the Tekin is the software updates seem to get out into the wild before released to the public so you have some people that are a lot faster then others because they got the update. Other then that I've been pleased with Tekin.