R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   How to solder 14ga wire to Ezrun 5.5T? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/322162-how-solder-14ga-wire-ezrun-5-5t.html)

noelcleofe17 08-24-2009 08:21 AM

How to solder 14ga wire to Ezrun 5.5T?

Hi,

I am having trouble to solder my Ezrun motor to a 14ga wire, the problem is when ever i try to solder it, it just melt a little amount of the solder wire, and after that, it wont melt the solder wire anymore, I need to wait for another 5minutes for it to build heat again, but still not enough to melt a solder wire, I am using a 40watt solderring iron.

I thought that it was damaged, so i bought another one, but the results were the same. I want to know if i need like 80watt soldering iron to have much heat and so that it can continously melt the solder wire?

I dont know whats the difference between a 40 watt and 80 watt or how it works.

86waterpumper 08-24-2009 08:47 AM

I would suggest you to get at least a 60 watt iron. 40 watt is sufficient for some soldering tasks, but the problem comes about when you are trying to hold the iron to something else with thickness (such as a motor tab or deans etc) then the iron doesn't have the nuts to melt the solder at least not with decent speed, and what you end up doing is causing damage to the part you are soldering because of having to hold the iron there so long. A 40 watt iron also wouldn't be able to recover after doing a joint as fast.

noelcleofe17 08-24-2009 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by 86waterpumper (Post 6248523)
I would suggest you to get at least a 60 watt iron. 40 watt is sufficient for some soldering tasks, but the problem comes about when you are trying to hold the iron to something else with thickness (such as a motor tab or deans etc) then the iron doesn't have the nuts to melt the solder at least not with decent speed, and what you end up doing is causing damage to the part you are soldering because of having to hold the iron there so long. A 40 watt iron also wouldn't be able to recover after doing a joint as fast.

So if i get a 80watt soldering iron, u think it its good enough to melt the solder wire and bond the 14ga wire to the motor tab? Also the same when I will solder a deans plug to my battery and ESC?

burnineyes 08-24-2009 10:43 AM

If you are not using proper techniques you will likely only cause some kind of damage with a hotter iron. I use a 40 watt for almost everything, including 10 gauge wire.

First, make sure you are using a quality solder. I have never had good luck with cheap stuff. Especially the stuff that come with the iron, I throw that away right away.
Keep a wet sponge around to clean the tip often, then apply just a dab of fresh solder to the tip just before using.
I like to use paste flux i bought at radioshack for $2, it helps the solder flow nicely once it heats up. Even though my solder has a rosin core it still helps alot.
If I still have trouble I feed the solder wire into the tip while holding it on my object to be soldered. The fresh solder coming in always seems to spread the flow around nicely.
Once I have the solder all flowing good, I grab my x-acto knife and hold the wire down nice and tight while I remove the iron. This way it stays good and tight while the solder cools.

jolson88 08-24-2009 10:55 AM

What type of solder are you currently using? What brand of soldering iron?

noelcleofe17 08-25-2009 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by jolson88 (Post 6249083)
What type of solder are you currently using? What brand of soldering iron?

I just bought it in a dollar store. lol!
but i tried it yesterday and it worked, it melted continously.
The problem now is when i tried to put the melted solder into the tabs it wont stick there, what should i do with the solder tabs so that the solder will stick..

86waterpumper 08-25-2009 06:07 AM

60/40 lead solder is illegal to make and sell now. So in all probability you will not find any in the stores. Look for some 60/40 on ebay. It sticks and works much better than this silver crap. Also, a 40 watt iron will work if it is a GOOD iron such as a weller etc. I doubt you will get very far though with a cheap 40 watter.

amnesia 08-25-2009 06:26 AM

I have some 60/40 solder from Hudy that flows very well, even with my 25w Antex 'iron.

Regular silver solder has too high a melting point to be useful for delicate tasks.
Make sure you tin your tip before you use it... makes heat transfer better.

Daniel.

Cpt.America 08-25-2009 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by 86waterpumper (Post 6253344)
60/40 lead solder is illegal to make and sell now. So in all probability you will not find any in the stores. .

What? since when? I bought mine at Radio Shack last month.

jolson88 08-25-2009 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by noelcleofe17 (Post 6253129)
I just bought it in a dollar store. lol!
but i tried it yesterday and it worked, it melted continously.
The problem now is when i tried to put the melted solder into the tabs it wont stick there, what should i do with the solder tabs so that the solder will stick..

Use some sandpaper (like 180 grit) to scuff-up the tabs a bit. That should help.