Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless Problem. Help Needed Plz

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Brushless Problem. Help Needed Plz

Hey i know this is very vague but here goes, i have a brushless motor im unsure of the size and a caster racing brushless 25a esc and a team losi 2.4 ghz receiver and it glitches like you would not beleive. if i hold it in my hand off the ground it goes fine, but as soon as you place it into the ground it just jolts back and forth. if i walk up and give it a little help along it takes off and goes till i release the throttle all the way. the esc has no reset switch so im really stumped.. any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If it goes fine once you help it start then it is likely cogging. Its when the speed control cant figure out the position of the rotor in the brushless motor.

We really need more info to try and help you figure out why. What kind of car is this in? Is this the original motor/esc setup from the car? What batteries are you using? What gearing are you using?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Also, Sensored or Sensorless? If it's sensored your sensor wire is most likely broken or pinched.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Tech Rookie

hey im not too sure what you mean by sensor or sensorless? i have just noticed that the black wire from the motor only just hanging onto the motor and quite a few of the wire strands are hanging off. im going to start by resoldering all of these wires and trying again, if this black wire was loose or broken would i be correct in thining it would not be getting full power?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

That depends. There's three poles that you solder the wires on to. On sensored motors, there's also another wire that has some thin metal pins in it.
I've attached some images of sensored and sensorless endbells, so you can tell what kind you have.
The purple motor is sensorless design, and the black motor is sensored design. Notice the small white plug-in on the black motor's endbell. That's the sensor wire plug-in.

Usually as long as there's a metal to metal contact between the wire and one of the three solder tabs, it will run, but it sounds more like a sensor/magnet issue with the stuttering on throttle.
Attached Thumbnails Brushless Problem. Help Needed Plz-vantage_bl_w.jpg   Brushless Problem. Help Needed Plz-hackere3.jpg  
Old 08-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What battery? If the ESC has a setting for lipo and NiMh and its set wrong then you can cause the receiver to run low on power and cut out. This also accounts for the working off the ground or for a short time when you push it.

I had a similar issue happen to me.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Tech Rookie

hey thanks for the quick reply, i have a sensorless engine i beleive, i only have 3 wires running into the engine. also i am running a lipo battery im unsure of the size, is there a way i could determine its size? i also hooked up a 7.2 nicad i think battery after i fully charged it and it did the same thing.
so im now starting to think i should try anonther esc, as im not sure how to reset this one it has no buttons or anything. it is a 25a caster racing esc if anyone knows how to reset?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by outtacontroltnx
hey thanks for the quick reply, i have a sensorless engine i beleive, i only have 3 wires running into the engine. also i am running a lipo battery im unsure of the size, is there a way i could determine its size? i also hooked up a 7.2 nicad i think battery after i fully charged it and it did the same thing.
so im now starting to think i should try anonther esc, as im not sure how to reset this one it has no buttons or anything. it is a 25a caster racing esc if anyone knows how to reset?
The fact that it's sensorless would be one of the reasons for the cogging. But why it needs a bump to get going, I have no idea. If you can get ahold of one, I would try another motor, but since I've never seen the ESC, or run sensorless, I'm clueless as to how they work.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

my car did this once when one of the 3 wires came loose. Just as you described, I could push it to go. But when it got slow enough, it would "cog"

--pakk
Old 08-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Caster Racing Brushless Systems are sensorless. I am pretty certain they are re-badged Hobbywings.
If you have any weak connections it will cause your issue. Fix your loose wires and I bet it works just fine, unless of course you already damaged something from using it too much with the problem
Sensorless motors have not had cogging issues in a long time, unless they are not being used properly.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by burnineyes
Sensorless motors have not had cogging issues in a long time, unless they are not being used properly.
Last I heard, no cogging was still one of the selling points for sensored.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:51 AM
Tech Rookie

awesome thanks for the help guys im going to attempt to solder the wires back on properly and see if it helps.. now having one of you guys say it has happened to them before with this wire issue reasures me now that my setup may not be ready for the bin quite yet.