R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Setup Help Please... R9-R on T2 007 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/321596-setup-help-please-r9-r-t2-007-a.html)

t4tx 08-21-2009 08:41 PM

Setup Help Please... R9-R on T2 007

I am new to on-road and just purchased a used 007 to run on our indoor carpet track in the rubber sedan class. The body that came with it was beat up so I ordered an R9-R. After reading about it (should have read first), I found out that it has very poor rear traction if not set up properly. I'm a very novice driver so oversteer would really hurt me.

I've got a ton of extra parts (i.e. springs, etc) and I could use some help setting up my car to be neutral or even to understeer a bit with this body.

I am currently running front diff but I do have a spool handy.

Can someone please help? Thanks. :)

rosko 08-21-2009 09:50 PM

you'll be beter off just getting a mazda 6

t4tx 08-21-2009 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by rosko (Post 6239474)

Why do you say that?

ShadowAu 08-21-2009 10:17 PM

I've been informed by other people and by other threads that you have to make your car much harder in the front... so harder springs etc

I personally think that having to make radical changes to a car's setup, especially if it had a reasonable setup with other bodies, totally ludicrous.. I ended up ignoring the car setup (which had been excellent before with other bodies) and worked on ways of increasing the rear downforce of the body (which it seriously lacks)...

My solution was to add a wicker flap onto the wing.. up to 3mm is allowed... totally transformed the handling

BTW it was only sheer bloody mindedness and the fact I hate Mazda 6 bodies that I persevered with the R9... these days I would choose the LTCR

ShadowAu 08-21-2009 10:21 PM

Sorry... double post

hound_dogs_01 08-21-2009 11:40 PM

the guys here run the ltcr and the mazda 6/speed6 and have GREAT rear end traction....

Alex

flatspunout 08-22-2009 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by rosko (Post 6239474)

I'm with this guy...the R9-R has a big difference in front/rear downforce (which is what it was designed to do, not knocking the body) and is just too aggressive for rubber tire carpet racing, at least at my local track. I prefer the LTC-R, but for someone just starting you can't go wrong with the Mazda.

Having said that, I will take a stab at setup changes since that is what you are really asking for. First thing is to toss the diff and put in the spool up front. Heavier oil and stiffer springs up front will help, try 50wt front and 30 wt rear, 22-25 lb spring up front and 15-17 lb spring in the rear. Increase rear toe, if you are running swaybars try a thicker bar up front than the rear, if not try running one on the front only. You may want to play with ride height in addition to the above...higher in the front than in the rear will tone down the steering a bit. Now this is all ballpark stuff based on my experience at my local track, which is an 80x36 medium-bite carpet track in hot, muggy MS. Your results may vary :D

-rocky b

t4tx 08-22-2009 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by flatspunout (Post 6239843)
I'm with this guy...the R9-R has a big difference in front/rear downforce (which is what it was designed to do, not knocking the body) and is just too aggressive for rubber tire carpet racing, at least at my local track. I prefer the LTC-R, but for someone just starting you can't go wrong with the Mazda.

Having said that, I will take a stab at setup changes since that is what you are really asking for. First thing is to toss the diff and put in the spool up front. Heavier oil and stiffer springs up front will help, try 50wt front and 30 wt rear, 22-25 lb spring up front and 15-17 lb spring in the rear. Increase rear toe, if you are running swaybars try a thicker bar up front than the rear, if not try running one on the front only. You may want to play with ride height in addition to the above...higher in the front than in the rear will tone down the steering a bit. Now this is all ballpark stuff based on my experience at my local track, which is an 80x36 medium-bite carpet track in hot, muggy MS. Your results may vary :D

-rocky b

Thank you very much... that is exactly what I was looking for. However, others here have very good points regarding ditching the R9R. Since I have not even received the body yet, maybe what's best for me since I'm new is to simply return the body and pick up the Mazda6, which is what everyone at my track is running. Thanks again for your help.