Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Computer Power Supply for R/C?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 07:38 AM
Tech Regular

https://mmm1107.verio-web.com/grayma/catalog/803.htm

Would this work for a charger? We have a couple of these lying around school, and I could maybe buy one for cheap $$.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

kevan,

while the voltage is there (up to 15v), there is not enough amperage there, only 300ma which will not be enough to run a charger?

correct me if i'm wrong guys.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

correst, 300ma is NOT enuff to run a charger.

your PS should be able to handle the same as, or more than the max amp rate your charger can put out.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, at least I tried.

But anyways my PC Power supply is going good, I jsut need to know if this is all I need to do:

1. Remove all unnecessary wires (that arent black, yellow, red)

2. Then just get ONE yellow, and ONE black wire. Lead them out or make a connector for them to the charger?

Please help me on this.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:27 PM
Tech Initiate

IMO, the existing wires (20ga?) are a bit small for the loads you MAY be asking them to carry. I took the yellow & black & red wires, and made 4 bundles ( 2 black) for neat routing. then I took the yellow, and split them, running half (2 in my case) to one plug, and half to another. I now have 2 12V hot leads. Same with the black (2x per black bundle, 4 groups total) leaving me with 2 neg. leads for the 12V, and 2 for the 5V. The 5V wires I divided in half, running one half to a plug, the other half to a set of resistors as described at
http://www.holmes-ave.freeserve.co.uk/atx-psu-mod.htm

In reveiw, this gives me 2 12V circuits for use, 1 5V circuit for use, and 1 5V circuit w/ resistors.

In reference to "plugs", I'm using Bannana jack plugs from radio shack, on a seperate panel. Trying to cram all of this stuff into the existing box is a bit too tight for my comfort level.

further info, I've got a small peak charger (5A max) that I run with this, and nothing else. The 250W PS I used says it'll give up to 9A @ 12V, but I have no way of checking that. I just completed this thing a few days ago, and it seems to work well for my purposes, but I'd buy one of those E-bay PS's next time around.

Standard disclaimer: It can be dangerous to fool with electronics like this if you don't know what you are doing... I am not a professional; in fact I have very little electronic experience, so attempt this at your own risk!!!
Old 01-29-2004, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm currently using a 300 watt redundant hot swap old AT server power supply to use, I gutted all the power wires, and re-ran new wire from the pc board to outside the unit to poles.

I have 12+/ground/+5 on the front, and I just clip on to what I use.

Im just using a duratrax digital intellipeak and so far it works ok...

I have a question, Why do people put the resistor across the 5+ leads? does that raise the voltage on the 12+ side?
Old 01-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Tech Regular

From what Ive read so far, yes, that is what the resistors are used for. I probably wont continue my power supply, something is horribly wrong with it.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Yes, computer power supplys are regulated by the 5v... so in order to get proper 12v output there needs to be a load on the 5v side. You can use a variable resistor (potentiometer) on the 5v and then simply adjust the knob until you get the voltage you need from the 12v leads (check it with a voltmeter).
Old 01-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

Hmm I tried hooking my poewr supply to an power strip recently, and the power strip just POPPED and turned off. Could this be an effect of me cutting off the "voltage selector switch" (usually sticks out of case next to power cord inlet)
Old 01-30-2004, 02:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

yeah that could be a possibility, i found with mine (on my first one) that if i cut the switch off, or cut any off the internal wires going to various components, regardless of how many timse i re connected or resoldered those leads, it wouldn't work again, I know i resoldered them correctly, but it just wouldn't go. I got a new one, and the only thing I touch was the black and yellow leads and then connecting them up.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

yeah I forgot where they went to too. So Im pretty much screwed, I cant find where it went!!
Old 01-30-2004, 03:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Some good info here guys if your interested.

Click Here
Old 02-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

does anyone noe of any other sites that has more pics?
Old 02-19-2005, 07:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

Originally posted by KevanB
https://mmm1107.verio-web.com/grayma/catalog/803.htm

Would this work for a charger? We have a couple of these lying around school, and I could maybe buy one for cheap $$.
Its 300ma which comes out to 3A so it would not work for your application.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

would this work?

+12 4.2a
+5 18a

does the +3v3 give out 3v?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.