R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Question about TC3 steering racks (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/32031-question-about-tc3-steering-racks.html)

tr6_guy 01-24-2004 03:44 PM

Question about TC3 steering racks

The steering rack on my TC3 always seems to get very rough in its movement. I've taken it apart a number of times now and cleaned all the parts but after a few runs its all sticky again. It seems pretty free at the ends but near the center points is where I seem to have the most trouble. As a result, the car has trouble re-centering after a turn. Is this to be expected with the TC3 steering or is there some trick I'm missing? I race exclusively on carpet so, dirt from asphalt should not be an issue. Pulling out the steerng rack and cleaning it is a bit of a pain so I'd like to avoid having to do it all the time if possible.

StephenSobottka 01-24-2004 03:49 PM

I noticed my rack had a slight pinch in the middle right from the bag, so i sanded the inside with fine sandpaper until the stick was gone. check to make sure there is no part of the kingpin studs coming thru the rack when they are screwed in also.

protc3 01-24-2004 03:50 PM

do yo run a digital servo?

tr6_guy 01-24-2004 04:08 PM

No digital servo. My car is pretty much stock RTR so I still have the crappy Hi Tech servo that came with it.

StephenSobottka 01-24-2004 04:09 PM

That is one of the problems why it centers funny everytime

Speedo 01-24-2004 04:14 PM

Yeah, Hitec servos are notorious for having centering problems.

tr6_guy 01-24-2004 04:41 PM

OK so, I need a new servo. With a new servo would the slight stickness in the rack be less of an issue?

SAM776 01-24-2004 04:42 PM

We have been having some simular TC3 problems. What is the feeling about a JR Z590M would that be a good replacement? for a rookie learning to drive ( IE hitting stuff)
Thanks, Sam:tire: :tire:

protc3 01-24-2004 05:21 PM

the rack is kind sticky unless you prep it.i cut out all the burrs and then i polish the inside with mothers plastic polish by using a q-tip in a cordless drill.it may take a little while but it is smoothe as glass when you are done.after you do this you should be able to just blow the rack out with some compressed air.hope this helps:D

howard hudson 01-24-2004 06:00 PM

Originally posted by tr6_guy
OK so, I need a new servo. With a new servo would the slight stickness in the rack be less of an issue?
I did away with the stock rack and got a trinity aluminum rack off there web site 26.00 bucks and its blue real smooth I like it.

LJae 01-24-2004 06:19 PM

Re: Question about TC3 steering racks

Originally posted by tr6_guy
The steering rack on my TC3 always seems to get very rough in its movement. I've taken it apart a number of times now and cleaned all the parts but after a few runs its all sticky again. It seems pretty free at the ends but near the center points is where I seem to have the most trouble. As a result, the car has trouble re-centering after a turn. Is this to be expected with the TC3 steering or is there some trick I'm missing? I race exclusively on carpet so, dirt from asphalt should not be an issue. Pulling out the steerng rack and cleaning it is a bit of a pain so I'd like to avoid having to do it all the time if possible.
When it happenes to me (won't re-center and feels rough), usually the servo saver screw has backed out and is rubbing the chassis. I just tighten it up thru the access hole on the bottom of the chassis and all is good. I check it periodically now so that it do not start rubbing at the wrong time.

davepull 01-24-2004 08:15 PM

don't oil the bearings it will attrach anykind of dirt. also tighten the servo saver all the way down and cut the excess thread off the bolt so it won't rub the shaft then put a drop of CA in it.

Me+RC=$$$ 01-24-2004 08:29 PM

I had a similar problem with mine. Check the black nylon nuts that hold the bushings down, even if they are just a TAD too tight it will cause that to happen. Fixed my car, good luck!

Neil 01-24-2004 08:55 PM

The jr 590m is a great servo for that app. Plenty of power very strong gear train and it centers well. The only problem is its slow but for the money you cant beat it.